FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Factory o2 sensor placement on a log manifold turbo setup (trick perfomance style)

Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory o2 sensor placement on a log manifold turbo setup (trick perfomance style)

I have a 2007 tbss that i swapped a iron stroker and 4l80e trans (still working on it) and was going to rearmount a billet borg warner s482. I really want to front mount it instead, doing a log manifold with a crossover from the rear of the engine to pass side log (trick performance style). My question is, where would you mount the factory o2 sensors? And would it read accurately on both banks? thanks in advance guys.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Most people delete the both rear 02's, and one is placed in the crossover, the other righ before the turbo to get an idea of the other bank. And yes, it seems effective, its been done that way for years.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:37 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Delete the rears, one right off the driver side in basically the factory spot, and one on the log right before the turbo. Works fine.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cool, thanks guys. I built a log style kit on a pickup for a friend of mine, but he had me build it without o2 bungs, since he said it would be speed density tuned, and didn't require them.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

The one on the log technically reads both banks but it still works fine. A lot of people setup their tunes to fuel off the o2 sensors out of boost and then off the MAP as soon as you get into boost.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so where is the best place for the wideband? In the down pipe (after turbo)
Old 05-01-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by custom 68
so where is the best place for the wideband? In the down pipe (after turbo)
Yes it should be after the turbo. Mine is about 6-8" after the turbo. Don't put it before the turbo because the pressure and heat will throw off the readings and kill the sensor quickly.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you say "most people delete both rear O2's" is that something I can do in HP Tuners software? I have 2007 Silverado and just got the KB Racing turbo kit. I'd like to put the upstream O2's in the crossover pipe and in the log under the turbo. That leaves the two downstream. I'm also installing a WB just 8" after the turbine on the downpipe.

That leaves me with the 2 factory downstream NB sensors. I am installing a 3" high flow catalytic so I am legal here in CT and although I plan to tune with the WB, shouldn't I stick at least 1 of the original downstream sensors after the cat?

More succinctly:
1.) Can the factory NB O2 sensors be removed from the tune using HP tuners?
2.) Should at least one of the downstream factory NB O2 sensors be relocated to be downstream of my single CAT setup?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:24 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Yes you can turn them off with hptuners. You do not need the rear O2s for closed loop operation, but you do need them to monitor cat life. Most people with turbos get rid of the cats and therefor have no need for rear O2s. You can run a cat with no rear O2s, but I think you may fail the code check (but pass a sniff test).

1.) Yes.
2.) If you want to.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whatever you do, don't plumb both o2's after the downpipe lol. it won't work

I put driver side in the crossover and pass after the turbo with no issue. I turned of rear o2's with HP tuners. I also have an AEM wide band after the turbo.

I would have plumbed passenger side pre turbo but I found out the hard way after everything was built.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory o2 sensor placement on a log manifold turbo setup (trick perfomance style)