FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Expectations of STS 6.0L

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need someone that knows alot about this system to drive and tweak to specifications. After driving it all weekend I could feel more acceleration but not that whoosh feeling you get when that thing starts spooling. What should I be seeing when this thing is dialed in, I'm starting to get disapointed but know it's gotta be something simple to correct.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with the others. Either a problem with a leak or possibly tuning issues. With 10 psi and a 6.0 you should be in the 500 rwhp neighborhood easy. Once you get it figured out there will be a tremendous difference in power even at part throttle.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
I'm with the others. Either a problem with a leak or possibly tuning issues. With 10 psi and a 6.0 you should be in the 500 rwhp neighborhood easy. Once you get it figured out there will be a tremendous difference in power even at part throttle.
Thanks for the putting my faith back into this project. After driving it all weekend I was ready to give up and wait till they come out for a system for my 300C hemi. From the videos on STS website and others it looks like this kit on anything will scream. I just thought that this truck might just be to heavy to whip up on a late model mustang or ricer. As far as the tuning issues, Nelson sent the PCM but I noticed it said 2004 Denali. Would that make any difference?
Old 09-19-2006, 09:33 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any check engine lights? how much torque managment was removed?
Old 09-19-2006, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
any check engine lights? how much torque managment was removed?

No engine lights, and whatever nelson sent out to me based off the kit details.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by logan214
I will check all the connections and get the plx installed sometime this week. I have the electronic boost controller that came with the kit located back by the oil pump. It has a + and - dial on it and push to lock. Do you think its just set on low right now? It's hard to tell since they didn't have time to do the gauge install.
Even with your boost controller set all the way out to no boost, you will always have the wastegate's pressure on high or low boost. The controller just ups or overides the boost from the wastegate's base setting. What ever bar spring you have in the wastegate contols low boost.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
Even with your boost controller set all the way out to no boost, you will always have the wastegate's pressure on high or low boost. The controller just ups or overides the boost from the wastegate's base setting. What ever bar spring you have in the wastegate contols low boost.
Is this site holding classes for boost 101? Cause I could sure use a schooling when it comes to these kits. Any suggestion for a good shop on around the MD, PA arae?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

is your wastegate referenced @ the intake manifold or or the snail- thats prolly your problem and if that aint it- its a boost leak some where
Old 09-19-2006, 10:59 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Couple of questions: 1) do you have an intercooler or meth? 2) is the tune for 10psi intercooled or 10psi non-intercooled?

You should be seeing around 600 hp at the crank on a LQ9 and 10psi. If it isn't intercooled - STOP GETTING IN TO BOOST. The problem may be knock retard pulling all your timing. 10 psi non-intercooled is going to be about 170-220 degree IATs, and most likely -5* spark, even with a tune...

Second pair of things I would recommend right off the bat, is: 1) get the boost gage, a fuel pressure gauge, and an AFR gauge (wideband) if you don't already have 'em, 2) if you are going to run a mail order tune, you need to buy some logging software so Allen can nail the tune. Personally, I'd say get a local dyno tune and the gauges instead (unless you want to do your own tuning down the road).
Old 09-20-2006, 01:36 AM
Banned

something is wrong for sure 1st get a boost gauge and run the reference to the manifold to see how much boost ur getting at 10 psi u should be raping cars all over. and i would prob go with a dyno tune but good luck finding and all wheel drive dyno

Quick Reply: Expectations of STS 6.0L