FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

DIY Remote Turbo Cont: Oil Return

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mort
As KB says definately get the check valve for the oiling system. It goes in-line before the feed into the turbo center housing. The flow direction should be marked on the outside of the valve. If you don't do this oil will flow into the turbo housing when you are parked and come out by the ends of the shaft that the wheels ride on. I found this out the hard way when mine failed. I found a small pool of oil on the garage floor every morning and in both the exhaust and intake tubing.
the check valve goes before the turbo? or after the return pump? if the check valve is before the turbo then how does it prevent the oil from flowing since the direction of flow is the same, and if you put it in reverse it would prevent any oil from flowing at all? if it is after the pump then it would prevent the oil from flowing back from the return line
or am i wrong?

I was going to set it up in this order:

tapped 1/8th NPT(the right size?) barb fitting above oil filter into half inch ID hose -----> turbo ----> mocal oil pump ---> check valve ---> filler cap

just in the process of getting all the oil supply/return parts i currently have oil pump on order, turbo, BOV, wastegate and charge pipe

lol i appologize this is new to me so we'll see how it works!

Thanks

Last edited by cpelton; 08-23-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Launching!

anyone have an sts install manual?
Old 08-23-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The check valve does go before the turbo. The way it works, is you install it normally so oil flow though it. Check valve have about a 1 psi "cracking" pressure, which means that when you shut the motor off and you have no oil pressure, the valve is held shut, which keeps the residual oil in the feed line from running into the turbo and seeping past the seals and in to the housing which makes it smoke when you start it back up. Makes since?

As for the rest of you oil system, The STS kit uses the oil fiting you are talking about on the motor, but the line you are plan for is WAY biger then you need, STS used a -4 AN line, which is 1/4 and then the retune is 5/8 off the turbo to the pump, which is abput 2 feet and then 3/8 from the pump back to the motor. Turbos need very little oil, on the S-10 I turboed, I had to put a .063 restrictor in the feed line to limit the amount of oil flowing to the turbo, because it would push past the seals.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:16 AM
Launching!

cool thanks for clearing things up
I tapped the oil fitting today and ran the supply line, i realized that was too big so i ended up using -4 anyways (capped it for now). Also changed the pcv valve now just waiting on the oil pump to finish the rest!

I appreciate all the help thanks