FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Converter lock up

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If you aren't locking the converter at WOT, I don't see the point of the triple disk over the single. The big single disk is more than adequate to live. If it's me though I'd go with a triple just because I'd want the option of locking up on the dyno and maybe on the track if I felt like it. I had a Yank PT3600 back a couple years back and the lock up was perfect on it. The triple disks lockup much harsher.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:50 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks Tim.

As much as I wanna squeeze every last .1 out of this truck, I also need to be realistic and realize that some of the daily driving fun and abuse could definitely take its toll on a single disc converter. I'm not sure there is a right or wrong answer when generally speaking here. I think there is a right answer based on exactly what each person and truck is trying to accomplish.

When I started this thread I was mainly just curious about experiences people had with a 3rd gear WOT lock up but the topic has certainly slightly changed, and I'm happy it has. If anyone ever asks to compare a single disc to triple disc again they didnt use the search function very well... lol

If I had to sum this up, I would say that the single disc might yield me better times due to its reduced rotating mass, and for daily driving will be plenty strong. The question comes into play when I consider how aggressive I would like to get when playing on the streets with the converter locked and how much abuse each one can safely take respectively.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:33 AM

What RPM did you hit those peak numbers? That will help decide the right stall speed. If you could post up the dyno graph that would make it even easier.

You do not need the multi disc in that truck, its very light and by the sounds of it you wont lock the converter at WOT.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlock90
totaly off topic from an LS truck on my question, but im getn ready to buy a converter for my 90' 454ss truck that im running my 4l80e in with a jakes performance manual control box. i do occasionaly run it on the 1/8 and 1/4 mile with my 3.73 gear and a 315-60-15 drag radial. the truck makes 446/579 to the tire with a carbed motor and the converter i have now is too tight. barely idles in gear!!

i have wired a grounded toggle switch for the lock up but only use it when cruising the hwys....i only use first, second an third down the 1/4 mile tracks. never use lockup while racing it.

that being said im gonna use a converter from one of the companies mentioned in this thread. havent decided which one yet....would i need a triple disc or would a good single disc suit my needs?

thanks in advance and i dont mean to step in on your thread vortec350ss out of way....just have unanswered questions aswell...lol

Jamie

You should start your own thread with that queston.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:05 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Of course i know and did not mean that the converter locked off idle , And to further clear up my " off idle " power comment , as we know the large amount of grunt a blower truck makes down low in addition to daily driving , in a heavy truck , you'd be foolish not to want a multidisc converter , I don't see a single disc lasting in a big power heavy truck that will be driven hard and also see track duty , but I'm no expert
if you're not locking at WOT, there is no real performance difference between a single and tripple disk. except that the single disk will be a little lighter.

changing direction a little, but still on topic:

How many of you guys actually have track times showing locked VS unlocked? what were the results? my combo showed zero difference between the two. locked felt better, but the clocks dont lie...and why add the extra stress if you arent going any faster.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
if you're not locking at WOT, there is no real performance difference between a single and tripple disk. except that the single disk will be a little lighter.

changing direction a little, but still on topic:

How many of you guys actually have track times showing locked VS unlocked? what were the results? my combo showed zero difference between the two. locked felt better, but the clocks dont lie...and why add the extra stress if you arent going any faster.
I'm gonna look at this from the other side of the coin... if there si no real performance difference between the 2 then why NOT get the triple dist for the added piece of mind when I'm playing on the street with it locked putting over 550 RWTQ to the wheels weighing in at 5500#. At this point it seems like its a good idea for me simply because the lock out clutch will be that much stronger.

I am also curious about first hand experiences though... I wanna see some times!!!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
Bingo! I wanna see track results and dyno results between the two
I know with mine just from stock converter to tt3000 I lost about 30 rwhp on the dyno.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
You should start your own thread with that queston.

will do!! didnt mean to step on toes......
Old 08-01-2013, 03:57 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Choda
Bingo! I wanna see track results and dyno results between the two
I know with mine just from stock converter to tt3000 I lost about 30 rwhp on the dyno.
there is no doubt that a dyno will show higher numbers with a locked converter...but who gives a flying flip about some numbers on a sheet of paper. track times tell all. which i guess is still numbers on a piece of paper

as for why single over tripple, in theory it could make you faster due to less rotational mass...as for fact??? maybe myth busters would be willing to take it on. i'm just playing devils advocate here. why play locked on the street if you're not going any faster. tune it to unlock the converter when your foot reaches 50% throttle (or possibly less)

TONS of guys lock converters on the 1/4. i find it hard to believe that nobody has back to back track times showing locked vs unlocked.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlock90
will do!! didnt mean to step on toes......
You didn't, however you can get your questions answered easier that way rather then changing the focus of Rob's thread.

Quick Reply: Converter lock up