FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Converter lock up

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:34 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
locking 3rd felt better to me by my seat-o-pants meter....the track said that i ran identical times locking vs unlocking. at that point i wish i had a single disk to get rid of some rotational weight...which is why i have a single disk converter now
Yeah but so they know you are running an S10 and don't have the weight or the off idle instant tq hit of a blower , so the multidisc wasn't needed in your app
Originally Posted by GXPJAY
I ordered the Yank PT3200 and went with Billet Single Disk, reason being I wanted to keep the stock (LS) style flexplate so I needed a 4L80E "LS Style" converter and with Yank its only available in the single disk, the Multi Disk is stock 4L80E style and requires the 4L80E Flexplate which I didn't want to bother with.
The converter I run as well as 2 others here is an LS1 style multidisc from PI , I use the 60e flex plate .

Like I said above with the weight and off idle power you'll want a triple disc .
Hell I wouldnt think twice about a multidisc behind a stock engine .
Old 07-30-2013, 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Yeah but so they know you are running an S10 and don't have the weight or the off idle instant tq hit of a blower , so the multidisc wasn't needed in your app

The converter I run as well as 2 others here is an LS1 style multidisc from PI , I use the 60e flex plate .

Like I said above with the weight and off idle power you'll want a triple disc .
I see, unfortunately from Yank which is who I went with and the OP had talks with the Multi Disk only come in stock 4L80E style not sure if there is a reason for that or not. All likelyhood if it came in LS style I would have paid the extra $100.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:21 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

You guys do realize the clutches dont do anything unless the converter is locked, right?
Old 07-31-2013, 12:33 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With proper tuning, a single disc will live forever in a heavy 4x4 with lots of torque. With improper tuning, it will die quickly. I'd go single disc in this case.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:59 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by Atomic
You guys do realize the clutches dont do anything unless the converter is locked, right?
Of course , what I meant and should of said was with huge power hitting fast and a heavy vehicle the multidisc is the only way I'd go . Hope I didn't confuse anyone that the verter is always locked or using the lock up clutches while not locked lol.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:29 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TIM Z

no, that particular combo was an ecsb 408 stroker with a planned 250 shot. it had instant torque more than most blower trucks. still don't think it was needed. besides, what the heck does off idle torque have to do with a tripple disk lock up clutch anyways?

i was once told that a tripple disk converter was just a bandaid for an inefficient converter. just what i was told haha. i dont build the things.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:48 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

At this point its safe to say that I will not be locking up the converter at WOT. My bigger concern is at the weight of my truck, and the torque it can make at 2500 RPM, will I have to worry about slipping or hurting a single disc(and yes, I am talking about it being locked on the highway, not a 2500 RPM flash)? With the 80e I will be at 2500RPM at only 75 MPH or so. I also fully intend to play around on the highway and make pulls from 80 or so in 3rd with the TC clutch locked. I don't plan or want to abuse it, but I want something that I don't need to worry about either. Seems silly to spend all the time and money to get an 80e into this truck and not get the best converter possible for the application.

I think what Tim may be talking about with the 'instant torque' is that the added weight of the triple disc converter becomes less of a concern... I can kind of see that point.

I really appreciate all the feedback and input going into this thread though. Keep it coming! Its nice to hear the differing opinions to get a sense of where I think I will land.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I was in the same boat when ordering a converter. I called yank and PTC. Both companies have a huge following but Dave from yank was better and easier to talk to. I told him I have a full weight 09 ecsb 4x4 that will make 500 wheel. After about 30 min on the phone w him I bought the tt3000 single disk. I installed it and works like a charm. Stalls right to 3k and never missed a beat. The only reason I would consider a triple disk is if I wanna shoot for 600+ wheel and want to lock the converter on the dyno. Everyone says do not even try locking the single disk even on the dyno. So far I am very happy with the tt3000. I have yet to tow anything above 1500 lbs so that will be a another test.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:02 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I mean I definitely plan to break 500 at the wheels (probably not 600, but thats my goal), and locking for a WOT 3rd gear pull on the highway sounds more abusive on the clutches than a dyno pull would be.

Last edited by Vortec350ss; 07-31-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:40 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
no, that particular combo was an ecsb 408 stroker with a planned 250 shot. it had instant torque more than most blower trucks. still don't think it was needed. besides, what the heck does off idle torque have to do with a tripple disk lock up clutch anyways?

i was once told that a tripple disk converter was just a bandaid for an inefficient converter. just what i was told haha. i dont build the things.
Yeah you had the power not the weight of a full size 4x4/AWD .

Of course i know and did not mean that the converter locked off idle , And to further clear up my " off idle " power comment , as we know the large amount of grunt a blower truck makes down low in addition to daily driving , in a heavy truck , you'd be foolish not to want a multidisc converter , I don't see a single disc lasting in a big power heavy truck that will be driven hard and also see track duty , but I'm no expert

Cruising down the road I can be locked in forth gear and push the throttle and see 10 psi , now that is a beefy lock up No reason , I just do sometimes .

Remember we're talking daily driving and track fun . This is just my opinion and after having 3 trucks with FI and a multidisc PI converter I wouldn't want it any other way .

I have forgotten most of what Terry and I talked about when choosing my converter , but I've never regretted having it .

Quick Reply: Converter lock up