FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Cons on any turbo kits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
No lag with mine, BUT I had to go with a looser converter than I probably would have for sure. Tight converter = Lag in my case. I chose to go with an emissions legal kit even though I knew I would probably give up some power, however my combo works very well. I really love the trick kit and the radix as well. Just chose this for this vehicle this time...so far for my tastes I am glad I did. Everything is a compromise.
If you put your setup on a Trick or front mount kit, it would spool even faster still, even with a more efficient converter.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:53 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I never meant what I said in a bad way but I've only known about Trick kits since use became a sponcer on here a few (6-8 ) months ago, and since you don't brag about every sale, it hard to know how many you have out there. I think you have a great kit and will sell lots of them.
naw did not take it in a bad way. Nope not a all, its all good. just smoke'n tires. .. And you noticed the non bragging thing. Thanks for the compliments. Hows your ride digging.

Rick
Old 09-14-2007, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those who claim their turbo system have no lag are smoking crack..

anyhow.. The con to any turbo kit is the complexity, introduction of new oil lines/coolant lines and potential contamination of your engine. Oh, and it does have lag too.

It takes alot to make an OEM turbo system relieable and 90% of the actions /precautions/design taken on the OEM side are NOT done on the aftermarket side..

But these are all gambles we are willing to make for fun! so enjoy it!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Blown2300
those who claim their turbo system have no lag are smoking crack..

anyhow.. The con to any turbo kit is the complexity, introduction of new oil lines/coolant lines and potential contamination of your engine. Oh, and it does have lag too.

It takes alot to make an OEM turbo system relieable and 90% of the actions /precautions/design taken on the OEM side are NOT done on the aftermarket side..

But these are all gambles we are willing to make for fun! so enjoy it!
100% the truth. I tested our system on my truck for 6000 miles so far of daily driving, uncoated as well, and I found the problem areas. If you dont do this, then your customers will find them for you and thats not good.

Every Turbo system will bring more heat into the engine bay, uncoated or coated. Nature of the beast. How much is not easy to meassure. Then there is the questions like, do I relocate this item? Or this item? What would others rather do? Whats easier? Whats less mess? I tried to design our kit without all this, but that just does not happen 100%. You still have to adjust stuff.

Want HP? Or want OEM?

Rick
Old 09-14-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

I never said no lag, I said less lag. If you're not refering to what I said then nevermind.

A lot more R&D goes into OEM designs for sure, but what aftermarket company has the resources that Mitsibishi or Subaru or any of the big three have. I know one of the Aussie companies casts thier own manifolds, which is as OEM as it gets. They don't make them for trucks, but there's word they might. Plus our engines in stock form weren't built for boost so all bets are off anyway.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
naw did not take it in a bad way. Nope not a all, its all good. just smoke'n tires. .. And you noticed the non bragging thing. Thanks for the compliments. Hows your ride digging.

Rick
Trucks running good! Swapped out the T60-1 for a MP t-70 and was worried I get more lag, but I can't tell a difference it spool time. I did keep the .68 exhaust housing though. I think it's a bit stronger with this turbo too. It's more in the lower to middle of it efficiency range. Seem to spins the tires a little harder from the top if first to the middle of second,
Old 09-14-2007, 12:19 PM
12 Second Truck Club

A little off topic but here you go.

got a little altitude info for you guys. Buddy of mine was at Band
imere 5800 ft. , for truck fest with his 01 duramax his mods are - edge chip, exaust, cai and 75 shot of nitrous. Best he could pull with the juice was a 14.3 -

Talked to him a few weeks back, said he went to the track in Grand Junction which is 1,000 ft. lower than here say 4,800 ft. Said he ran a 14.0 without the juice.

That right there is proof that altitude does effect time with turbos
Old 09-14-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WJ MARK
That right there is proof that altitude does effect time with turbos
Not as much as it does with a supercharger. The jury is still out on nitrous though.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:09 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Yeah Blowers are definately more effected by altitude.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Still thinkin FI ???

Quick Reply: Cons on any turbo kits?