FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Changing pulley

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 04:06 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing pulley

Im gonna change my pulley to the smaller 3.2 Ive made the vise grip with the belt tool I beleive moregrip or blownchevy designed, I just cant tell which way to turn the bolt it looks like counter clockwise to take it off is this correct. Help.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:00 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Man I can get this some bitch off to save my ***. The damn vise grips keep terring the belt
Old 09-09-2005, 05:30 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I buzzed mine off with an impact wrench. Not sure if thats the right way or not.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:40 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by j's01silverado
I buzzed mine off with an impact wrench. Not sure if thats the right way or not.
They say not to use an impact its becoming tempting though. Does it turn the same as a regular bolt does?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:28 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seem to remember it being the same as any other nut. Righty tighty, lefty loosey AIR GUN BAD Possible internal rotor damage. Get an oil filter wrench and wrap the pulley with a short part of a belt for grip and have somebody else pull with a BIG *** SOCKET WRENCH!
Old 09-09-2005, 06:35 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or try this...

Originally Posted by O3GMC
My method:

strip of old belt to go around pulley, large craftsman strap wrench over that strip of belt (so you get full contact with the pulley ribs) - 2' breaker bar on the nut, hold strap wrench (pulley) - Bam, popped loose first tug.

Use puller to get the pulley off, and I was only able to get Allen's pulley on right up flush to the threads, so I used a socket and mallet to get it further, then used the nut to push rest of the way. 45 ft.lbs, no locktite

I used this method after Brian told me NOT to use an impact. Although I have heard from more than a few people that they used an impact with no problems. My method is pretty easy and harmless though if you haven't used an impact yet.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:44 PM
11 Second Truck Club

No I havent used a impact yet. I tried the oil filter wrench deal allready and it broke them. Ill go to Sears tomorrow and get a large strap wrench and a bigger breaking bar and try that. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Avoid The Impact Wrench...

...at all costs! The bearings and gears will not agree with the shock loads. It may not do imediate damage but can shorten the life spans of said.
Ridgid makes a nice polyurethane coated strap wrench we use on the job. I have not tried the craftsman tool. I need to get one of the ridgid units.
I used the vice grip and belt method and too ripped the belt. I then put some thick washers in the jaws to spread the load on the belt with success.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My issue was always having the strap wrench slip during removal. I used brake parts cleaner on the rubber of the strap wrench and that kept it from slipping. I prop the handle of the strap wrench against the alt pulley and use a long wrench on the nut. The longer the wrench (breaker bar) the easier.

Yes, the nut turns counterclockwise to remove. I think the torque to put it back on is like 43#'s. That is what I have been using and never failed yet. I changed my pulley around 10x now.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:53 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by therock
...at all costs! The bearings and gears will not agree with the shock loads. It may not do imediate damage but can shorten the life spans of said.
Ridgid makes a nice polyurethane coated strap wrench we use on the job. I have not tried the craftsman tool. I need to get one of the ridgid units.
I used the vice grip and belt method and too ripped the belt. I then put some thick washers in the jaws to spread the load on the belt with success.
Ridgid makes a nice polyurethane coated strap wrench. Is this available at home depot?

Quick Reply: Changing pulley