FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

can i add 110 or c16 to 93 to increase boost or timing.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i add 110 or c16 to 93 to increase boost or timing.

I am running a lq4 with 80mm borg. i run the hp dominator efi and right now at 14lbs i am at 14.3 with the timing. the afr is right around 11.4. I want to bump up the bost a few psi and keep timing or increase it from where it is now. If i go to say 18lbs boost and stay at 14 i was going to add some 110 or c16 since i dont have meth kit. Will this give me any safety margin or do i just need meth. If i do add it do i need to change my afr to something else for the increase in octane.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Increasing octane will prevent the dreaded detonation issue. However, it is a matter of add a little more timing/boost until you get knock then backoff. Every build and motor will react differently.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

May add some 110 and bump it to 18 and keep timing the same. I will keep a careful eye on knock and iat's
Old 09-03-2014, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea put some real fuel in it and it will be fine if you keep the tune conservative.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Thats the good thing about the dominator. I think its alot easier to understand and keep it conservative. You tell it what u want it to do and it will do it. So much easier the hp tuners.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:22 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

I dont like to hear when people shove timing at a motor until it knocks and then backs it off a little. in most cases i doubt it's ideal. get it on the track and make 2 baseline passes. give it more timing and see if your MPH goes up. if the MPH goes up, try more timing again until you get no more gains in MPH and then back it down to the lower timing that got you the same MPH. you could very well go past the optimal timing point by looking for knock.

somewhere along the line EFI guys started thinking that more timing means more power. I was guilty of it once upon the time. it's not always the case.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:51 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
I dont like to hear when people shove timing at a motor until it knocks and then backs it off a little. in most cases i doubt it's ideal. get it on the track and make 2 baseline passes. give it more timing and see if your MPH goes up. if the MPH goes up, try more timing again until you get no more gains in MPH and then back it down to the lower timing that got you the same MPH. you could very well go past the optimal timing point by looking for knock.

somewhere along the line EFI guys started thinking that more timing means more power. I was guilty of it once upon the time. it's not always the case.
I think most of the guys who do that aren't running adequate fuel anyway. That method of adding timing works for gasoline setups and high boost e85 setups because it reaches the knock limit before MBT. I'd like to think that the guys who run the $10/gal race gas that can lose power with too much timing know about that MBT vs knock limit
Old 09-03-2014, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

I will up the boost a few lbs and then up the timing about 5% at a time.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:15 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado

Originally Posted by smokeshow
I think most of the guys who do that aren't running adequate fuel anyway. That method of adding timing works for gasoline setups and high boost e85 setups because it reaches the knock limit before MBT. I'd like to think that the guys who run the $10/gal race gas that can lose power with too much timing know about that MBT vs knock limit
Ditto.

And fwiw i put in some c16 with the pump 93 along side the meth when i go to the track.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:01 PM
BMF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tempoffroad
I will up the boost a few lbs and then up the timing about 5% at a time.
These guys are basically telling you that just because you add timing, doesn't mean you're adding power.

With the added octane, you will be less knock limited and advance timing until you reach MBT.

Quick Reply: can i add 110 or c16 to 93 to increase boost or timing.