FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Boost controller or WG spring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost controller or WG spring?

I have an AEM boost controller and I'm just not liking the thing. Cant seem to get the boost set right with it.

I was wondering what the majority of you guys are running boost controllers or just running off your waste-gate springs? I've considered getting a cheap manual controller or the 8.7 or 10.1 lb spring and just leaving it at that. I'm a bit indecisive so any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

use your spring for lower boost, a controller for the track.

Changing them out under the truck gets old and redundant.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just put my 7lb spring in and been running off the spring! No money for a controller!
Old 01-14-2010, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lownslo06
i just put my 7lb spring in and been running off the spring! No money for a controller!
How many lbs of boost do you get outa that spring? Do you get any spiking?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent 80 bucks on my turbosmart controller and put a 7lb spring in the WG. Always holds 12lbs of boost never get any weird spikes either
Old 01-14-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BKnBLK05
How many lbs of boost do you get outa that spring? Do you get any spiking?
yes now that its cold i did see a creep to 11 from my 9lbs it usually shows on my gauge.

Assuming that spike means a sudden increase and decrease of boost vs. creep, meaning the boost goes up to a new high and stays there until you let off. Running spring is the only way i have done this, and this is my first experience with FI so normal conditions are a learning curve for me. But the truck runs great and I love the boost(always want more but my pocket says no)!
Old 01-14-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Spring only here and it has (knock on wood) never spiked. I thought about doing a boost cont. but decided to spend less on a diff spring.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

im running a 8.5# spring in mine and i only see maybe 7# peak boost,but i never see any spiking.i might pick up a controller but i dont really plan on running more than 10#
Old 01-15-2010, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lownslo06
yes now that its cold i did see a creep to 11 from my 9lbs it usually shows on my gauge.

Assuming that spike means a sudden increase and decrease of boost vs. creep, meaning the boost goes up to a new high and stays there until you let off. Running spring is the only way i have done this, and this is my first experience with FI so normal conditions are a learning curve for me. But the truck runs great and I love the boost(always want more but my pocket says no)!
Wierd, I have an extremely simular setup to yours (KB, 6.0, MP70). I can boost spike upto 12psi in some rpm (2400-3600) load cells. Maybe I need to just change the springs in my KB kit
Old 01-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Teching In

probably not the ideal route, but if you want to be able to control your boost for cheap, you can do a google search on "homemade boost controller". i had a friend with 2 mk IV supras that would use these cheap and simple homemade devices all the time when he would have problems with his more expensive electronic boost controllers.

they basically regulate the amount of boost the wastegate actually sees. you can put one together for a couple of bucks at your local hardware store. I've seen um regulate around 28psi coming from a 78mm turbo on a supra, with no spiking issues.

Quick Reply: Boost controller or WG spring?