FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Boost controller question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 12:59 PM
Tcehing In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want 10# boost, just put a 10# spring in the wastegate and be done with it.

On my DSM I have a 20# spring paired with a very basic MBC, rock solid control into the 50's. Anything beyond that isn't necessary especially with AWD.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beaner
If you want 10# boost, just put a 10# spring in the wastegate and be done with it.

On my DSM I have a 20# spring paired with a very basic MBC, rock solid control into the 50's. Anything beyond that isn't necessary especially with AWD.
which BC are u running? I bought a fahler log mani and welded the wastegate bung right below the t4 flange. All other kits I’ve found come with the gate located on the crossover, and I didn’t like the idea of one bank having a free flow into the turbo. I’m worried about boost creep what I’m tryin to say
Old 05-31-2018, 02:58 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Think of it as a whole system, both banks are connected together, so its not like just only 1 is being vented. Total pressure for both is about the same.

At one time I moved my wastegate from the crossover (where it worked fine) to right under the turbo because the internet said that was the right way to do it and it should work better, but I had HORRIBLE boost creep issues like that. The least amount of boost I could run on any spring was 20psi. Moral of the story, leave it where it is.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Atomic
Think of it as a whole system, both banks are connected together, so its not like just only 1 is being vented. Total pressure for both is about the same.

At one time I moved my wastegate from the crossover (where it worked fine) to right under the turbo because the internet said that was the right way to do it and it should work better, but I had HORRIBLE boost creep issues like that. The least amount of boost I could run on any spring was 20psi. Moral of the story, leave it where it is.
You know way more bout this than me, but was your gate too small or something? I have seen gates welded on the turbine housing w/ no problems. Just can’t wrap my head around the crossover gate. Exhaust flow from the passenger bank equalizes with the driver side to make same pressure hence the gate works fine ? If it’s proven I’ll try it. Do t want any issues
Old 05-31-2018, 03:28 PM
I have a gauge for that

It is proven to work just fine on hundreds (maybe thousands) of kits out there. No, I used the exact same gate (50mm jgs). Difference was it just worked much better in the crossover than right below the turbo. Youll have more issues trying to move it than if you just left it in the crossover.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 000martin

You know way more bout this than me, but was your gate too small or something? I have seen gates welded on the turbine housing w/ no problems. Just can’t wrap my head around the crossover gate. Exhaust flow from the passenger bank equalizes with the driver side to make same pressure hence the gate works fine ? If it’s proven I’ll try it. Do t want any issues
I can gate 3psi with my crossover wastegate setup and I have a 60mm JGS gate. I am running ~20psi. Atomic has been tuning it. I use the Eboost Street controller. I like the ability to "turn it down". I thought I was just going to use the WG spring and put in what ever boost i was going to run. It has proven much safer to tune, control and let my wife drive. HAHA. I turn it down to about 6psi with the turn of the ****. And really, it is very simple to use.

Also, as Atomic said. Get the 4port solenoid. I had a hell of a time with the 3-port.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Atomic
It is proven to work just fine on hundreds (maybe thousands) of kits out there. No, I used the exact same gate (50mm jgs). Difference was it just worked much better in the crossover than right below the turbo. Youll have more issues trying to move it than if you just left it in the crossover.
10 4. Thank you fellas. Y’all have Been a ton of help!
have y’all ever ran a zr1 map sensor or what type 3bar do y’all use

Old 05-31-2018, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AkSSS
I can gate 3psi with my crossover wastegate setup and I have a 60mm JGS gate. I am running ~20psi. Atomic has been tuning it. I use the Eboost Street controller. I like the ability to "turn it down". I thought I was just going to use the WG spring and put in what ever boost i was going to run. It has proven much safer to tune, control and let my wife drive. HAHA. I turn it down to about 6psi with the turn of the ****. And really, it is very simple to use.

Also, as Atomic said. Get the 4port solenoid. I had a hell of a time with the 3-port.
Being able to change boost level so easy may get me in trouble. . Haha
“hell 8psi felt fast as hell. Let’s go 20 see what happens!”
Old 05-31-2018, 04:22 PM
I have a gauge for that

Ive used the brick style and zr1, they all work as long as they are put in the tune correctly.

Youll only go from 8psi to 20psi once, then after you rebuild the engine you will be much more careful.

Where in Bama are you?
Old 05-31-2018, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Southwest of Birmingham. Down on the river. You?

Quick Reply: Boost controller question