FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

beautiful twins

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by duwem
you an engineer or just using big words, I'm in fluid dynamics and that doesnt seem to jive sir....the runners arent running tangental to the log wall, so no spiral vortex tornado huricane effect will be introduced
Not an engineer, just a wrench that figures stuff out. I am very sure the exhaust gasses will be swirling in there. High velocity gasses in curved tubing will compress against the outter radius of the bend. (That is the reason that crush bends don't affect flow as badly as some might think.) Since the majority of the exhaust from the port primaries will be entering the log concentrated on one side, swirl WILL be induced. It will be clockwise on the driver side and counter-clockwise on the passenger side.
I have no way to prove this, but since I really don't care it doesn't really matter, does it. I simply see something I like and state the reason why. I hope I don't need a degree to make positive comments.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by James B.
Not an engineer, just a wrench that figures stuff out. I am very sure the exhaust gasses will be swirling in there. High velocity gasses in curved tubing will compress against the outter radius of the bend. (That is the reason that crush bends don't affect flow as badly as some might think.) Since the majority of the exhaust from the port primaries will be entering the log concentrated on one side, swirl WILL be induced. It will be clockwise on the driver side and counter-clockwise on the passenger side.
I have no way to prove this, but since I really don't care it doesn't really matter, does it. I simply see something I like and state the reason why. I hope I don't need a degree to make positive comments.
point taken, I did add a little to my last post, sorry to offend, just as an engineer, Im always looking at ways to improve things, its burned on my brain now, I will never be albe to look at something and just think it looks good without analysizing the crap outa it, it think its a good thing thou...
Old 05-09-2006, 06:26 AM
single digit dreamer

the runners are offset to the outside of the main pipe. there may be some swirling going on. if you look at this pic you can see the angle of the runners.

Old 05-09-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

Looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product and even better see how well it runs.
BTW- Where'd you get the piping from?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by parish8
the truck is prety much as quick as i want it right now. i would like to break into the single digits but i could have done that with a my old set up and some tires. i am just doing this because i like working on the truck and fabricating stuff. i do think i will make quite a bit more power but it might not be much quicker.

last year was a prety sucsessful one for the truck. i spent too much time and money on it and blew off many other things that i shouldn't have. i dont regret any of it but things need to change. from here on out i will be taking my time with things. working on it when i have time and feel like it but take care of other stuff that needs done first.

my goal is to have it running for drag week 06. i will probably just run it in the 11.0 daily drive class and go for fun. after that maybe goto the dyno and see if i can peg that bitch at 1200rwhp , after that.... who knows
Your wife got onto you didnt she.

Dont worry though, it has happened to the best of us.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Veteran

The flow inside those log manifolds will most definatley be turbulent. Eddy's will exist due to the angle the primaries enter the log, and from the pusle due to the firing order. Besides flow inside a fairly rough tube at exhaust gas Re #'s would be in the turbulent region. Sure a streamlined manifold would be ideal, but there are plenty of log setups that make big power. This will be another one of them!

Keep up the good work man! The exhaust gas won't have a hard time spooling those turbines.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im working on some new manifolds for my truck. I built my originals out of 18/16 gauge material and that lasted about 4 weeks. Im going with the Mcmaster 1.9" elbows there made out of 10 gauge stainless. If you look I have the firing order marked in the middle of the block but anyway Im pretty much connecting cylinders/primaries 1-7, 3-5, 2-8 and 4-6. The exhaust pulses are only one stroke away from each other so that should make the turbos spool fairly quick. Heres the basic drawing... Ill try to get some real pics up in a week or so.

Old 05-09-2006, 08:07 PM
single digit dreamer

i have the scheduel10 pipe from mcmaster too.

i am using trade size 1.5" wich is what i think you are talking about. the inside of the tube is a little larger than the ports on the heads.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by parish8
i have the scheduel10 pipe from mcmaster too.

i am using trade size 1.5" wich is what i think you are talking about. the inside of the tube is a little larger than the ports on the heads.

Yep thats the same thing I got. I only paid $5.70ea which I though was an awesome deal.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:14 PM
single digit dreamer

yep, fast shipping too. check out their other stuff like carbide tips for a diegrinder and hole saws.

Quick Reply: beautiful twins