FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

ATI Super Charger Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATI Super Charger Good Deal?

What's Up? I am new to posting at this forum but have enjoyed reading threads for a while now. I own a 4x4 2008 GMC Sierra 5.3l flex fuel engine. I have made some slight mods like catback exhaust and a tuner but have been looking into a supercharger.
I have contacted a local performance shop and they said they could install a kit for me for $5,000 out the door. This includes the kit with the diabolo sport tune. But he is also installing larger injectors, a supplementary fuel pump and colder spark plugs. Just wanted to know if this was pretty fair price for what I would receive. BTW the performance shop warranties their for work for one year and I get a three year warranty with the procharger. Also has anyone had good success with a similar setup? Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

which kit is it the d1?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:26 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the forum. What part of the country are you in?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't really think the procharger is the best centrifugal out there at the moment. Sure its better than stock, but lots of design flaws in my opinion.

To the point we just sold my buddy's and he's quite a bit more interested in the paxton on my truck...

It would cost more than the procharger though. Send me a PM if you'd like more info, and you can get a good amount of reading done in this thread. and dyno numbers on my stock 07 are in my sig, of course I do have a 6.0 not a 5.3

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...=1#post3806539
Old 08-06-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can't remember which kit it was. Sorry, but I'll find out. I'm in Rocky Mt., VA. What do you think are the flaws in the procharger systems. They boast a 60% gain in HP. that would be around 150 hp in my truck. How much more are the better products?
Old 08-06-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Many trucks running prochargers on here. They seem to be good units, some people have had belt slip problems and others have had no issues. It really comes down to what rpm you want your power and the way you use the truck. The centrifugals aren't going to give you big power gains under 2500rpm or so, but will increase from around there to redline. Get a 3000 stall converter if you decide on the procharger as it will feel much better on the street and launch good. I would also call procharger or a dealer and check the price of just the kit alone. 5000 doesn't sound bad, but just so you know what your paying for. Now if you need instant torque I would go a different route. (magnacharger or turbo)
Old 08-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For 5k it installed I dunno. I would get get the kit, do it urself. If you have mechanical skills you can do it, with a few helping hands, it isn't that hard.. I would say out of all the centri kits the PRO is one of the best, vortech is also a good kit. I am not bashing, but I have never really heard of bad things hap with either of them, but with the other brands I have soo take it for what its worth. I have a Pro on my truck, it is a used one, so far it hasn't used any oil and is running great. I say find you a kit if you want to go centri. A 3k+ stall is def a plus, mine loves the 3200.

Good luck on ya choice
John
Old 08-07-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

how does magnacharger produce instant torque? Also can someone explain exactly what a stall converter does. Would a 3k+ stall keep my truck from ever going under 3000 rpms? Still learning.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rockerjoe2008
I can't remember which kit it was. Sorry, but I'll find out. I'm in Rocky Mt., VA. What do you think are the flaws in the procharger systems. They boast a 60% gain in HP. that would be around 150 hp in my truck. How much more are the better products?
if that belt ever snaps, you're stuck on the side fo the road unless you have a ton of tools.....you need to pull the head unit bracket in order to swap belts, it pulls hot air from the back of the engine compartment, on previous body styles the ecm needs to be relocated which never seemed to work out well, the belt is extremely long (mine is bout 70 inches overall with the paxton as a comparison) kit comes with 42 lb injectors which limits your power down the road, the diablo sport pre-fabbed tune is very conservative at best. The internal step-up ratios of the p1's and D1's is harder on belts, base intercooler is maxed as is (the 2 core)

and I picked up more than 150 hp.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree it is a pain in the *** to swap belts, but also with the maggie your in the same spot if you break a belt, it comes with the territory. On my pro set up you only have to take out a pulley and a few spacers to change a belt. My IAC temps have yet to get over 108 deg in 90-95 degree heat. The radix makes instant boost because it is a pos displacement blower, where ours isn't, is designed to make boost instantly, as where the cenrti blowers have to spool a bit, like a turbo does. The 42lb injectors will work with the tune it comes with, but as said if you want more power, you need to go custom tune, 60lb injects..

John

Quick Reply: ATI Super Charger Good Deal?