FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Anyone with a Pro Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with a Pro Charger?

I need some info about Procharging a G.M. truck. I have a customer overseas and he wants a procharger. Will I need a D1 to make high 500's? Is there an option for a larger belt? Who is a reputable dealer?
This will be on a forged 370 with supporting mods. It really needs to make 600 reliably.
Anyone???
Old 01-04-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished up an install on my truck. I haven't had much time to do anything with it yet though, but I have done some reading from some other members. The biggest thing I keep hearing about once you get close to the 500 mark, or a little over, is belt slip. I don't believe anyone has successfully done anything about it other than using a gatorback belt and a riechard racing pulley (these have grooves in them to help stop slipping.

As far as a larger belt, I don't exactly know what you are asking. The way the procharger is setup, it sits next to the alternator and runs off the same belt as the other accessories. It does include a larger belt so that it fits around the super charger pulley if thats what you mean.

The d1 is probably the most commonly suggested compressor evn though most go with the p1, but I know a few, maybe just 1, have put an f1 on their trucks to reach higher numbers. The p1 with definitly not be worth your time. As far as I know, the f1 will require custom brackets and with that you could also use different idler pulleys or even a tensioner to help fight belt slip.

Another thing people are not fond of is the location of the air filter. Some have tried to relocate it back to the stock location, but found the lower IATs are not worth it because the airflow is restriced with all the bends in the tubing to get back to the supercharger.

As far as dealers, most to the right carry them including Tbyrne and Speed Engineering. I have done business with both and asked many questions in which they did their best to answer without running me around. I would recommend either one. I hope some of this helps.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. When I say larger belt, I mean something like a ribbed belt. I think I have seen one on an F1, but I think the F1 may be overkill.
Thanks again.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

if you haven't already, post that question up on ls1tech in the forced induction section. check out these guys
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/
Old 01-04-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

On a forged 370 a P1 would definately be capable of close to 600. The D1 is the better bet for the small price increase. If I remember correctly, I believe the P1 has a higher cfm rating than the S trim vortech I have. Another member made 511 with an S trim vortech on a forged 5.7. The D1 and P1 have a problem with belt slip once you start getting to the smaller pulleys, a problem the vortechs dont have. The D1 has a CFM rating closer to the T trim vortechs which make ALOT of power in some of the modded F bodies that are running them. There is a sponser on LS1tech that makes a new pulley system to eliminate the slip.
I wish I wouldve gone with the D1 as its going to cost me another 2K on top of what I paid for my system and I still had to fab an FMIC for it.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:57 PM
14 Second Truck Club

You will need a D1 for that power reliably. The D1 will allow you to run a larger pulley which will reduce the slip also. You should also upgrade the intercooler.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

could you put a couple idlers on there like moregrip did with his radix to get more belt wrap on the pulley?
Old 01-05-2006, 10:40 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by FogleMotorsports
could you put a couple idlers on there like moregrip did with his radix to get more belt wrap on the pulley?
They already have 2 idlers. You can increase the size of the idlers to get more wrap. I never had slipping issues as far as boost. I ran it up to 12 psi and I only ever got some dusting.