FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Any STS guys left?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And also 256 , why the move to the front for YOU?
Old 12-16-2013, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

I just bought a truck that "was" rear mount turbo I have the kit that was on the truck i'll be installing it this spring
Old 12-17-2013, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Air filter gets dirty very quickly. I've had to clear trouble codes couple of times because of the MAF getting wet. I have a K&N filter sock to repel water but doesn't help much. And relocating the filter up in the fender well just makes it seem very sluggish to me.

Overall I think it's a decent system. There's a few bugs to be worked out.

As far as the filter sucking in water it's not like it's getting submerged or anything. It's just enough to cause the MAF to go haywire which going SD tune would take care of that problem.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:43 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My first venture into FI was with an STS kit on my truck at that time , a new 04'Z71 ecsb.

It was a fun kit , still the best sounding kit I've heard , the turbo just sounds amazing with this kit , I've never heard a front mount sound as good and turn heads as this one did.

Easy install too , but this is where my pleasent experience kinda ended.
It never quite performed the way I wanted , I was a 10psi inter cooled , and had a 212/218 cam and PI 2800 converter . My tuning was prob mostly to blame as at that time I used mail order tuning reccomended by STS . It's too hard get perfect thru the mail .

Anyway it was a cool kit and I bet with proper tuning you'll have fun , but like said I'd go speed density and do something creative with the air filter . Mine was tucked up in the wheel well but it did feel like it held it back a tad . The oil return system sucked too , I carried a spare pump and relay , and upgraded the oil return hose .
Old 12-17-2013, 06:04 AM
TECH Addict

yep..i got tired of sucking up water as well and being off road 50% of the time was not good for the kit...I went fm and all my troubles dissapeared
Old 12-17-2013, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

Can't beat the sound of the sts spooling . I've Ben looking for one to come up on here but they only pop up when not around . Like above , I know the downs of the system and don't need a front mount . As for the water problem I'm doing the toolbox airbox for this one.. Hopefully .
Old 12-17-2013, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ws6ickness
Can't beat the sound of the sts spooling . I've Ben looking for one to come up on here but they only pop up when not around . Like above , I know the downs of the system and don't need a front mount . As for the water problem I'm doing the toolbox airbox for this one.. Hopefully .
If your still set on getting this kit make sure you exhaust wrap from the manifolds back. Helps big time.

From my experience when you relocate the filter it takes away from the spooling sound.
Which now i would much rather have more/better performance from a Front Mount then sounding like a jet taking off with the STS lol
Old 12-17-2013, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

STS is also nice for the CA guys since it's CARB legal.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Silverado256
If your still set on getting this kit make sure you exhaust wrap from the manifolds back. Helps big time.

From my experience when you relocate the filter it takes away from the spooling sound.
Which now i would much rather have more/better performance from a Front Mount then sounding like a jet taking off with the STS lol
Yea my mind is made up on the kit . I know all the ups and downs on the system and vise versa. Never thought wrapping the pipes would be that crucial though ! How much of a difference does it make for the STS? Can't say I've heard of many people doing it with it . If anyone knows someone wanting to get rid of theirs , send them my way !
Old 12-17-2013, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ws6ickness
Yea my mind is made up on the kit . I know all the ups and downs on the system and vise versa. Never thought wrapping the pipes would be that crucial though ! How much of a difference does it make for the STS? Can't say I've heard of many people doing it with it . If anyone knows someone wanting to get rid of theirs , send them my way !
It runs more efficiently with the exhaust wrapped. It was a night and day difference on my truck.

Quick Reply: Any STS guys left?