FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

All the cold water you want for an A/W set up.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new Lightning was supposed to come with an A/C cooler like that.

"Colletti's always wondered about taking intercooling to the next level, when air-to-air and air-to-water intercoolers don't adequately chill the incoming air to make the charge dense enough. Enter Ford's new patented SuperCooler technology. Unlike traditional intercoolers that dissipate heat from the supercharged air by circulating coolant through a front-mounted air-cooled radiator, the SuperCooler uses the vehicle's air-conditioning system to chill a small storage tank of coolant to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

The result is a system that, on demand, dumps the frigid coolant into the engine's intercooler, dissipating up to 20 percent more heat from the air charge, making it ultradense and upping horsepower in the process. Although sources within SVT say this system can deliver 50 transient horsepower per 30-45-second burst, experts in the supercharging realm claim the system could actually boost output by 75-100 horsepower under the right conditions.

The SuperCooler is surprisingly easy to use: When the green lamp illuminates on the dash (indicating the system is ready), just mash the throttle to the floor and the refrigerated coolant floods the intercooler for a nitrous-oxide effect, without the environmental hazards of laughing gas."
Old 11-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Did you have to sacrifice the A/C or is it set up for both A/C and chilled water?
AC stays in tact.

Originally Posted by A Low Dime
So you are "chilling" the water that runs in the air to water intercooler, instead of just using the ambient temp water like usual?
Ambien air can only do so much, and on this truck the air temps where always 10' over and would take a long time to cool down after several boosts setions around town.

Originally Posted by 53RUSSELL
That would work great here in AZ when 115* outside. Does the a/c have to be running in order for this to work?
Yes, works the best is set to max air speed. If it gets to cold in the truck I jsut turn the temp **** a little warmer.

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
i want to redo my A/W intercooler setup.. ive tried a few times with pipe and copper tubing wrapped inside it with ice, but the tubing was too small..
This looks insane!!
Got some pricing???
No pricing yet, we are going to double wall the first pressure pipe and pump cold water through there as well to help things along from the start. We have done Ice in the past but it melts fast and is not ideal for the street.

Originally Posted by wkdivr
WOW!! I'd like to see more info on this! The only problem I could see is that most, or all tracks insist you shut off the A/C before pulling out to run, so as to not drip condensate on the track.
We will be doing more and more testing dealing with time to cool, time to cool down and max air temp during the boost setions. The race tracks to no problem a just need a small overflow can 16.95 from summit. Just have it low enough to catch any water run off.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Right now we are testing a very time consuming product to build that is extremely easy to install. Blower guys set ups would be even easier to install, with no downpipe in the way. The final water temp right now is still to be seen. The longer I drive the colder the water gets, BUT the engine will only move X amount of air while driving, so there will be a final air temp I am sure. Seeing how you can only transfer so much heat out if the air is only move a small amount. WE have noticed a 2-4 degree increase when you stop that goes away once you start moving again. This is why we are going to double way that first pressure pipe.
Went for another test drive, today was 80'f outside, is what the clock shown. Air temps going into the engine where 73'f. This was only with a 15 min. cruise into town.
What I like is the entire cooling system is COOL to the touch, and the reservior is COLD to the touch. So there is alot of cool/cold energy stored up. Going to pick up a meter tonight.
Tommorrow I plan to drive roughly 30 min. one way going into boost from time to time. NO AC.
then return with AC on going into boost from time to time, and see what I get.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you describe the primary and secondary plumbing setup? Do you have to tap into the refrigerant lines? Do you have to evacuate and recharge the A/C system?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

The setup looks great. I have always wondered about doing something like this. However I don't like the intercooler location. How much heat is the intercooler taking on from the driverside exhaust manifold? I know there isn't a lot of room in the engine bay. Maybe something could be done if the battery was relocated.

Do you have pictures of the intercooler outside the truck? It looks fairly small, amazing results for its size.

Also I wonder how much this will affect the climate control in the summer. Only summer testing will tell, if summer only got here soon, I'm sick of the cold weather already.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Summer temps with winter power!!! Looks VERY promising to me.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:19 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks great. it is great that you guys are trying new things.

just an idea to throw out there. it might actualy work better without the radiator in the front. just a nice large insulated tank. the temps can only go so low right now. i bet the water coming out of the intercooler at idle is cooler than ambiant and gets warmed a little going thru the radiator up front. not saying it would work better, just that it might.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

that is true. cause you already have the cooling side that you need the ambiant air is probably warming the rad up front. try it with out it would only reqiure capping and installing a delete section.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by parish8
looks great. it is great that you guys are trying new things.

just an idea to throw out there. it might actualy work better without the radiator in the front. just a nice large insulated tank. the temps can only go so low right now. i bet the water coming out of the intercooler at idle is cooler than ambiant and gets warmed a little going thru the radiator up front. not saying it would work better, just that it might.
If you remove the heat exchanger, you will have to run your a/c all the time, which may be ok for some. I know I would like the option of turning the a/c off, especially in the winter.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

yea but then you could just put the exchanger back in for winter haha alot of work.

Quick Reply: All the cold water you want for an A/W set up.