FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Air to Air or Air to Water?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air to Air or Air to Water?

I have an STS kit and I'm looking to intercooling it. I would like to know which method of intercooling one is better. Does it depend on what my needs are or is one more effecient than the other? Also, what parts it take to make an AtA or AtW intercooler? Is one of them harder to make than the other?
Old 05-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Getting one of the bullet water to air i/c's is the easiest install I think. Get a custom heat exchanger/radiator that is as large as you can possibly run. I have fab'd up an air to air. Back when I was trying to choose between the two, PWR told me that the water to air is great for racing and such. Rick at STS said if it were HIS truck he'd go with the air to air.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:27 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, Air to air is great for dailly driving, air to water is great for short 1/4 mile runs and daliy diving, if set-up properly.

I have a air to air, it works great. unless I'm seating at a light for a few minutes.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by hemifever
Getting one of the bullet water to air i/c's is the easiest install I think. Get a custom heat exchanger/radiator that is as large as you can possibly run. I have fab'd up an air to air. Back when I was trying to choose between the two, PWR told me that the water to air is great for racing and such. Rick at STS said if it were HIS truck he'd go with the air to air.

This is what I have been looking at as well. A bullet type, well a large bullet type that I'm starting to fab up now. Its going to take a while since I have other issues to resolve that are sucking up my spare truck time.
I've read up on both set-ups an the mounting of the air-air is the really important thing, also its size and flow characteristics.
Water to air is more forgiving, but also more complex.
Then there is the ablity to plumb some of your lines through your AC lines and cool your fluid down to 45-50 degrees from what I've seen. I will be going this route to get the best daily driver/racing set-up I can.
Its all about my truck being consistent/reliable for me. Right now I'm working out some other reliablity bugs and the Intercooler project had been put on the back burner.
As soon as I get rolling on it and actually start assembling the system befor ewelding needs to be done I'll post up some pics.