FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

5.3L With Magna and Gt2-3 Plus LT's = Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I know what he's sayin. No, he won't get in trouble. I was just curious. I haven't called LPE a whole lot, but over the yrs., I always spoke w/. Tim. They do great work, esp. when John was alive. I can't comment on nowadays & the co. w/o. him, but I had a lot of respect for John. He held many records, & in fact, was chasin after a record when he crashed.
That said, this is my impression. Take it for what u will. I spent a lil over $3k on a Accel DFI w/. cam. I felt like if I didn't have big $, I was wasting their time. I could be wrong, but i"m not some swingin dick w/. a lot of $$$. I bet some guys just mention their name to people at LPE, & they know who they are, cause they've spent $1000's & $1000's.
I've never spent more than $6k total w/. all purchases there. To me, that a tidy sum. No, not as much as some people. But, I also didn't make alot when I plunked those dollars down back then. Actually, I don't make much now either, but I'm pretty happy.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:22 AM
DOA
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trever1T, can you help me find the post that ForcedTQ is referring to? I just realized you have 22K posts and I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks again,

Lance
Old 11-02-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DOA
Trever1T, can you help me find the post that ForcedTQ is referring to? I just realized you have 22K posts and I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks again,

Lance
Tell me about it!!!
Bill is right. I knew I shoulda said scavenging earlier. I woulda looked like a hero before Bill did.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 220 exhaust duration is designed with the stock exhaust manifolds in mind. If you know you are getting long throw headers, the equation is changed (the GT2-3 is no longer optimum), and you would be better off with a different cam design.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sandog, so more like a GT7 or 11 would work for him using LT's? I know someone who wants to run a similiar combo. I'm goin by memory, but I believe those are the other popular LPE grinds for S/C's.
I don't know specs w/o goin to LPE site.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:52 PM
DOA
On The Tree

Good Tip! Thanks! Let me know the thoughts on the GT7. Its a DD and I still want a good idle.

Now I just need to find some LT Headers. Seem to be limited with options for the Avalanche. Is Dynatech my only option?
Old 11-02-2009, 05:17 PM
12 Second Truck Club

stainless works, American racing, pacesetter,and OBX(ebay) are a few others.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandog
The 220 exhaust duration is designed with the stock exhaust manifolds in mind. If you know you are getting long throw headers, the equation is changed (the GT2-3 is no longer optimum), and you would be better off with a different cam design.
This is exactly correct, and why the LPE representative might have been steering you away from Long Tubes if you were bent on getting the GT 2-3. The 220 exhaust duration is giving the cylinder the chance to evacuate the combusted gases over a longer period of time. This is opposed to a set of long tubes allowing more instantaneous volume to move through their piping than stock manifolds can as well as the added benefit of scavenging and longer primaries have on the torque curve. So it is a similar goal of moving more spent exhaust gasses out of the cylinder, just two different means of doing it aimed at people that want to increase power. Although, the best combo would be longtubes with a camshaft that has been custom specified for your combo.

Although Trever1T's combo may not be "Optimum" as far as the camshaft goes, I don't think it really matters. His truck makes INSANE power and torque!

I made a mistake in typing my earlier post and said magnacharger rep. I re-read your original post and saw that it was an LPE rep, I apologize for that.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DOA
Good Tip! Thanks! Let me know the thoughts on the GT7. Its a DD and I still want a good idle.

Now I just need to find some LT Headers. Seem to be limited with options for the Avalanche. Is Dynatech my only option?
Are you going to need a Y pipe or have one made??
Old 11-02-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trever1t
You WILL lose boost.....BUT GAIN POWER. Boost is an amount of pressure measured by a MAP sensor in the manifold, not the cylinder so that means it is UNUSED air/fuel. By freeing up the exhaust (increase scavanging of the cylinders) the intake of combustable gasses in increased, lowering the pressure left in the manifold AFTER the valve closes

Damn I learn a lot here
Also, since the camshaft controls the timing and amount of valve lift you have to realize that if you lower the restriction on the outlet side, and increase the pressure on the inlet side without adjusting the "Overlap" value in the camshaft design, you will not see the same Boost reading. The increased pressure in the manifold helps to evacuate the cylinder/ allow less intake reversion during the "Overlap" period. This is how/why the calculated compression ratio you see is not the exact compression ratio your engine sees, it's Dynamic compression ratio that the engine works with. I'm betting that if you lowered the "Overlap" value present in the camshaft your boost reading would increase, but that wouldn't necessarily be a productive thing.

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Tell me about it!!!
Bill is right. I knew I shoulda said scavenging earlier. I woulda looked like a hero before Bill did.
Originally Posted by DOA

Thanks again,

Lance
By the way, Bill went from shorties to long tubes, not exhaust manifolds to longtubes, I got that part wrong.

I'm looking for the thread now.

Allright, I found it. What's the deal with the pictures Bill? Did you delete them off of your Photobucket account?

Here is the thread I was referencing: https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=397270

Last edited by ForcedTQ; 11-02-2009 at 06:21 PM.

Quick Reply: 5.3L With Magna and Gt2-3 Plus LT's = Bad?