FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

4l80e+turbo, anything to improve bottom end beside converter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
Your "Soon to come" cam choice should be calculated into your converter choice. 3000 is not too big. For towing, talk to the converter builder you go with. I tow with my triple disk PI converter all the time (2500 stall)

If you dont already have one, an upgraded tranny cooler is a must if you plan to tow much, and it's a good idea overall. Heat kills transmissions.
will any aftermarket cooler do? mounted in front of radiator I expect
Old 09-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes and yes. Tru-Cool is the one most people go with. I used the 40k gvw by tru cool but, I go overkill on things. My trans temp never goes over 180* even when towing my boat. (5000lbs)
I found this on Yanks site.
TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER 30,000 GVW
Old 09-21-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

If I were you I would look into the Yank SC3000 or comparable Circle-D... This converter puts a load on the turbo that makes it spool so much quicker than stock. The converter is excellent for daily driving, if you are real easy on it, it drives very similar to stock, but once you start to roll into it, it loosens up very quick and the turbo comes alive instantly. Its a night and day difference over stock, it will be the best mod you have done other than the snail of course. If you are towing, I wouldn't go over a 3000 unless you pull really light loads. And go with a tru-cool 40k to keep things cool, pm teesee150 and he can hook you up with the cooler and EAD brackets that mount it in front of the condenser using factory mounting locations at a good price.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

I ordered an edge racing converter on account of my funds right now
I'm a little scared, but with a 2 year warranty and 6 week grace period it eases my mind. 3000 rpm stall w/ a 2.4str

I'm guessing running an after market in series w/ the stock transmission cooler (in radiator) will be the best set up?
Old 09-21-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do not run it in series. Just get one decent sized one.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last time I was in Houston traffic, my tranny temps got up to 195 with the stock cooler and stock converter, now it barely goes above 165 with my circle D 3000 rpm converter and tru-cool 40k. You're gonna enjoy it!

I did not bypass the radiator in my setup because it did get fairly cold this winter and dont want to run into problems if the temp stays in the teens again this winter.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KHester84
Last time I was in Houston traffic, my tranny temps got up to 195 with the stock cooler and stock converter, now it barely goes above 165 with my circle D 3000 rpm converter and tru-cool 40k. You're gonna enjoy it!

I did not bypass the radiator in my setup because it did get fairly cold this winter and dont want to run into problems if the temp stays in the teens again this winter.
really? my transmission would be in the 210-220 range all day during summer months (in Houston). I've been reading up on bypassing the stock cooler, right now I live in North Texas, where in the Winter the temp stays in the teens. I'm starting to wonder if I should keep the stock cooler inline.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

Here's a video for you guys! new torque converter goes in tomorrow. I just got video of how it is now so I can do a comparison video! 0-60 still seems to be just a bit under 6 seconds, so I can't wait to see it w/ the converter

Turbo 5.3L w/ 4L80E and STOCK STALL - YouTube
Old 10-10-2011, 07:19 AM
TECH Junkie

HOLY SLUGGISHNESS BATMAN. I see why you want a stall. How about adjusting your shift points up as well. Looks like they are still stock.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slowec
HOLY SLUGGISHNESS BATMAN. I see why you want a stall. How about adjusting your shift points up as well. Looks like they are still stock.
I already ordered the tune for it weeks ago- so it's too late to adjust the shift points

I installed the converter last night, all I can say is HOLY **** it's a completely different truck. It's not as "streetable" as I was expecting though (it takes forever for it to shift during regular driving, unless I'm going extremely light on the throttle)

Quick Reply: 4l80e+turbo, anything to improve bottom end beside converter?