FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

4l80e+turbo, anything to improve bottom end beside converter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80e+turbo, anything to improve bottom end beside converter?

just got back from the track, everyone I raced had me from the start to mid track- but from there I pulled them very hard and put them behind me. From a stop, with the 4l80e I am EXTREMELY slow- it takes me almost half the track to build boost/power because of that 1st gear and the weight of the transmission. I could barely even do a burnout most of the time!

I don't really want to get a converter, mainly because it is my daily driver and it will kill my gas mileage. Should I just bite the bullet and get the new 1st gear you can install in the 80e? or will a cam or something like that solve my problem?
Old 08-27-2011, 12:16 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How much boost are you building at the line? Probably not much at all. You'll need a converter to light that turbo. Not what you want to hear, is it?

BTW, if you wanted to have a good launch on a stock converter, you should have gotten a Maggie...... Just sayin.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

lil 50 shot at the line will do you good if your completely against a converter which is what that turbo needs..

Last edited by pewterliftedz; 08-27-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that first gear mod is like 1k i think , rip off. what are your 60ft times? im not a turbo guy but ive heard others talking about a 2 step to get you off the line faster ? and yes n20 could do the trick too ... lol
Old 08-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Laid Back

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Increasing your compression ratio a little could help.

You don't have to get a really high stalling converter to help it build boost on the line. Many turbo guys do fine with sub-3000 rpm stall converters. The majority of converters that low will drive almost like stock.

You could also try to find a converter from a 4.8/80E combo if money is an issue. They stall a little higher than the 6.0/8.1 converters.

What gears do you have and at what rpm do you cross through the traps?
Old 08-27-2011, 11:54 AM

Yes, a loose converter will easily knock off a couple miles per gallon in city driving. In lockup on the freeway though it doesn't matter... you can still get great milage with distance driving. I've been running a Vig3200 for a couple years now. It took a little getting used to. Not bad for street driving but even with a huge tranny cooler temps start to warm up with alot of stop-n-go traffic. But hey, everything warms up in the summer here in Arizona . What size A/R exhaust housing are you running? If its in the .94 range you could step down to a .81 and spool that big T70 a couple hundred RPM sooner. Are you running 3.73's in the rear diff now? How about 4.10's?
Old 08-27-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bill Reid
Yes, a loose converter will easily knock off a couple miles per gallon in city driving. In lockup on the freeway though it doesn't matter... you can still get great milage with distance driving. I've been running a Vig3200 for a couple years now. It took a little getting used to. Not bad for street driving but even with a huge tranny cooler temps start to warm up with alot of stop-n-go traffic. But hey, everything warms up in the summer here in Arizona . What size A/R exhaust housing are you running? If its in the .94 range you could step down to a .81 and spool that big T70 a couple hundred RPM sooner. Are you running 3.73's in the rear diff now? How about 4.10's?
.96 A/R, it was a standard T70 turbo from the KBracing kit, I'm still using the stock 3.42 gears .. lol

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
Increasing your compression ratio a little could help.

You don't have to get a really high stalling converter to help it build boost on the line. Many turbo guys do fine with sub-3000 rpm stall converters. The majority of converters that low will drive almost like stock.

You could also try to find a converter from a 4.8/80E combo if money is an issue. They stall a little higher than the 6.0/8.1 converters.

What gears do you have and at what rpm do you cross through the traps?
I'm running stock 3.42 gears, not 100% sure on the rpms when I cross the line- but it shifts into 3rd and then a couple seconds later I cross the line (on a 1/8th mile). That info might be wrong though

Originally Posted by idahoblkss
that first gear mod is like 1k i think , rip off. what are your 60ft times? im not a turbo guy but ive heard others talking about a 2 step to get you off the line faster ? and yes n20 could do the trick too ... lol
Yeah the first gear mod is $$$$$, but then again a good converter runs from $800-$1200. From what I read, 2 steps are not allowed at most drag strips lol that would be cool though. I was thinking nitrous also, as my only problem is coming off the line, at the track. From a roll the truck is pretty mean (I'm loving the 80e on that part)

Originally Posted by pewterliftedz
lil 50 shot at the line will do you good if your completely against a converter which is what that turbo needs..
agreed completely

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
How much boost are you building at the line? Probably not much at all. You'll need a converter to light that turbo. Not what you want to hear, is it?

BTW, if you wanted to have a good launch on a stock converter, you should have gotten a Maggie...... Just sayin.
I'm building ZERO boost on the line, I press the brake all the way to the floor and give it as much gas as I can before the tires break loose and my boost gauge sits at 0 gahh converters..

I was doing somewhat okay from a launching stand point with the 4l60e, the 80e really threw me off. I wasn't expecting the 1st gear to be so heavy, I expected it to be different that the 60e, just not that extreme lol

Trending Topics

Old 08-27-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

You do have some sort of checkvalve between you manifold and the brake booster right?
Old 08-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Can you even hook if you do build boost on the line? When I had my 5.3 and stock 80e converter with the BIG s475, it took like 8 years to spool. But once it did, no more traction lol. Are you 4x4..?
Old 08-27-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Hes 2wd. I know wilde could spool his sts kit back in the day with a 5.3 and stock 80e stall IIRC. He also went 11.40's doing that.

Quick Reply: 4l80e+turbo, anything to improve bottom end beside converter?