FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

4.3 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.3 turbo

i have a friend with a 02 4.3 silverado rcsb and he wants to put the 5.3 sts turbo setup on it. i know that he would have to do quite a bit of customization for it to work. He said that it wont be that hard but i think that he is underestimating the difficulty. He doesnt want to get the intercooler that you can buy from sts. so what type of intercooler do you guys think he should get. he also wants to put the bigger turbo on it so he can run more boost. he said that he wants to run about 8-10 psi daily driving and turn in up a little for the track. i know that the kit come with the t3/t4 but which one would anyone recommend for higher boost that his motor could handle. Just thought i would ask some people who know more about than i do and also has anyone done or seen anything like this before.

Last edited by blck00'silverado; 04-12-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is on a 4.3 in a Blazer and the other pic is a custom fmic we did on a 1/2 to truck. It can be done no problem.
There are issues. One, is you are very limited on fuel system. Yes, you can do a pump, but injectors are the issue. They basically have a controller and 6 valves. There is a marine manifold that will hold whatever injectors you want, but you have to want it bad to do all that when you can buy an pull out 5.3 for around $1400.00
Be glad to help if I can.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a front engine mounted turbo on my 4.3... too much boost lag and extra problems from a rear mount. This year should have some good dyno numbers. The truth about the 4.3 is that no matter what you do beyond about 7.5 psi. The stock injectors are out of gas. They can not flow enough to keep up. What needs to be done is a 2114 edelbrock intake conversion to the efi.

I have both a procharged 4.3 and a turbo 4.3 with the front mount that are both custom fabricated kits in s10's that I have built.

that sts idea just won't work. Take it from someone who has had more 4.3's though his garage than most machine shops.

If I can help or offer any advice drop me a PM
Old 04-12-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

So when I picked up 82rwhp on a 4.3 @ 5psi with the STS, had great intake temps, and the customer couldnt be happier the system doesnt work?
That 4.3 truck has been on the road for months now with zero issues and he drives the hell out of it.
Also, the thread starter almost has a bolt on kit with the STS for his full size truck.
There would be very little fabbing using the truck kit.
So after all the results on this website and many others, the "sts idea just wont work"? Do a search and watch a few vids.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

the sts will work nicely on the 4.3 if your tuner knows what he's doing
but you are limited to what you can do with the fueling...

Last edited by bud8fan; 04-12-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trtturbo
So when I picked up 82rwhp on a 4.3 @ 5psi with the STS, had great intake temps, and the customer couldnt be happier the system doesnt work?
That 4.3 truck has been on the road for months now with zero issues and he drives the hell out of it.
Also, the thread starter almost has a bolt on kit with the STS for his full size truck.
There would be very little fabbing using the truck kit.
So after all the results on this website and many others, the "sts idea just wont work"? Do a search and watch a few vids.

I am telling him how it is.

Do some searching on s10 forum.com

Search my name Search my combo Would you like to see vids of me crushing a mid 12 second silverado by several car lengths with 8 psi?

I am telling him the truth when it comes to the tuning of the 4.3 with the stock poppet injectors.

What exsactly are you doing for fuel management? What will he do for fuel management? I don't think STS offers a kit for the 4.3 fuel management.

I know you are an STS dealer and you have to prime your sales and tell him how you made it work and what not. But I am telling him how it is and he has the right to know he is a new user and before you go calling me out.. do your own research. I can back up my claims and I can prove whatever neccisary.

Sure he might be able to physically fit the rear mount sts kit on the truck and make it fit but fuel it.. I think not.

And I will say what you don't want to hear. STS trucks are dyno queens. I have yet to actually see one within 100 miles of me go anywhere near fast at the track. They might make the power on the dyno's but.. I invite you to come to yet another site where I am known.. silveradoss.com Check there and see how many sts trucks are actualy turning sub 13 second times..

I wasn't bashing the STS kit but the probem is fueling.

I am sure your customer is very happy. But if he came up against a properly built engine mounted turbo on the street.. he would be very disapointed. I would put my 5psi against your 5 any day.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Let me go back to the cooling part..

What exsactly were your IAT's with 5psi?
Old 04-12-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is why I said there are issues; not with STS, but with the fuel delivery on the 4.3. My customer with the Blazer knows it could be safer and knows there are ways to remedy the problems.

I have a 10.0 sec STS car in my shop now and its not just a dyno queen. Look up posts by "quicksilverado". His truck with the basic STS kit ran 11.30's, F8LZ71 ran low 12's in an ext cab 4x4. I have a customer with a stock block 6speed Ls1 running 11.0.
Not having seen one run good at the track doesnt mean there arent any.

I would never be one to say STS is better than a front mount, but saying "they dont work" is not accurate. As a matter of fact, we are doing twin GT-35r's on a road race car and he mentioned STS first. With a World Challenge cage and this cars set up, the front mounts work better.

For this guy, fuel issues aside, the STS is by far easier to get installed on the truck.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Revolutionary
Let me go back to the cooling part..

What exsactly were your IAT's with 5psi?
After 8 or so pulls on the dyno, the IAT's were never over 115; no intercooler or meth.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:22 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh great , another HATER! Who cares any more. Just cause you think your front mounts are better( AND you are entitled to your opinion) does not mean other products are inferior! You just are working with what fits your lifestyle and know how as are other people with different kits. There are plenty of fast STS trucks on here. Just cause there not near you is irrelevent.

Quick Reply: 4.3 turbo