FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

The 160* Thermostat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im running one, on the highway it will run at 172-175. Stock stat would run at 195 on the highway. Some people will say its too cool for the oil. I figure with a turbo it would help.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

running 160* for yrs, taking advantage of the cooler temps.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

So is the 160 stat only a plus for turbo setups? Or would it be good for n/a too?
Old 11-17-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

How's everyone's fuel mileage with the 160?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember asking Justin about doing one of these awhile back and he pretty much told me its a waste of time.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats what id like to know, if its worth the time to change it out.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:23 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

The more power you make, the more heat will be created as a byproduct. If you expect to make a lot of power, going to a lower thermostat will be beneficial, especially if you expect to run it hard and often.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Byrdman11
160 stat means it will be fully open at 160 and if the cooler system and fans can keep it there it will run 160. But my truck will 175 if I let the fans run more. Like I do at the track.
U just reminded me, I went to track in late Oct., then yesterday. During winter, I run diff. fan temps than I tune for in summer. I never changed em back during the summer.

Might could do that tweak for next week's racing.

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
... Yes that is correct, really you need e-fans to take advantage of the lower temp t-stat. Tuner will have to adjust fan on and off speeds, tweek timing, etc.
I never really gave much thought of that concept I guess on the u need fans to do so, but I can see that logic. I wanted e-fans for less parasitic, cleanup engine bay, & removal is a snap too if doin say, a cam swap.

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Im running one, on the highway it will run at 172-175. Stock stat would run at 195 on the highway. Some people will say its too cool for the oil. I figure with a turbo it would help.
That's likely where I'm @ now, & when N/A too.

2doorfury, I used to know when the factory one opened, I wanna say 195° open, then closed @ 212 I'd go by what HPT or EFI said, not by factory cluster on what true temp is, IMO factory temp. gauge varies too much from my HPT readings.
160° stat is OK for N/A, or F/I too. To me, I like a 170° stat, not a 160°, but some fuel injected appl. don't offer a 170. I just think u get more wear if a motor is too cool, & besides, uses more emissions. To each his own I guess, I'm no engineer or tech, but I've read threads on the cooler stats on PT before as well.
Power goes up 1% for a 10° drop in temp.
So say u got a 300HP 5.3, u drop temps 30°, that's 9HP. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. More power comes a little at a time, as not every mod gets u 40, 50, or 100HP. Not gonna happen, if so, everyone would be doin it. Look how hard some of try just to eek out an extra .1 in the 60', or 1/4 or whatever your moddin goals.
It's a process, more about the combination & time spent, not just some off the wall "magic".

I think mileage may go down a scosch, & that mine did, but not as much as if say u do a stall or some other things. It's a compromise. Use a lil more, but greater tuning freedom cause u have less worries of spark "issues". If it helps keep motor safe when I was N/A, at expense of lil more fuel, OK.
On any F/I appl., I think it's just good insurance.

Originally Posted by black00chev
I remember asking Justin about doing one of these awhile back and he pretty much told me its a waste of time.
Do u recall what mods u had back then? Were u boosted?
Or was that just his sentiment in general on em?

Originally Posted by smokeshow
The more power you make, the more heat will be created as a byproduct. If you expect to make a lot of power, going to a lower thermostat will be beneficial, especially if you expect to run it hard and often.
I agreee w/. u, Jake.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Going from the stock thermostat to the 160 will it be drivable enough to take it to a tuner or will it throw a cel?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Do u recall what mods u had back then? Were u boosted?
Or was that just his sentiment in general on em?
Mods were the same as they are now. He said with the addition of the e-fans, its just not worth the hassle. The fans will do more to help keep it cool the then the lower t-stat will.

I think it boiled down to if you want every last little available HP, then do it but there are more worthy mods.

Quick Reply: The 160* Thermostat Thread