FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

14-18 DI Trucks (Whipple 2.9)...Smallest pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 14-18 DI Trucks (Whipple 2.9)...Smallest pulley?

Have a 17 6.2L Sierra with LT's and Whipple 2.9. I am contemplating building the short block and turning up the boost. I am currently running 10lbs with a 3.75 pulley vs 4.0 stock. If I decide to go further, I'd target around 15-18#'s of boost, which would require a pulley size drop close to 3.00. Wondering if any of you truck guys are running pulleys that small (& only 6 ribs) and if so, any belt slip issues? Thanks in advance for any info that can be provided.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience with 6 rib belts the limit has been 12-15lbs. This all depends on belt wrap, how good of a tensioner you are running, size of your blower, and how much boost, ect. You are running a large blower. I personally doubt you will get to 14-15lbs on a 6 rib with the 2.9l. My lsa blower on my 5.3l Tahoe 13lbs I was starting to slip on 6 ribs. Green HD belt and HD gates tensioner. Just my thoughts and experience.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Granted I was running a 2.55" on the lsa, a 3" has a good bit more surface area though.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:32 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

What fuel are you running on? I would look into adding methanol or making your fuel system capable enough for e85 before pushing the boost that high.

Also, are the crank pulleys pinned on the newer motors? If not you should pin it.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
What fuel are you running on? I would look into adding methanol or making your fuel system capable enough for e85 before pushing the boost that high.

Also, are the crank pulleys pinned on the newer motors? If not you should pin it.
If I go the built bottom end or LT4 SB route, it will be a flex fuel truck. RE: my original question...I want to make sure the poweradder I chose wont result in a bunch of unexpected issues as I try to push things. I have posted before about considering a switch to turbocharging vs staying with the whipple. I'm starting to get quite a list of pro's/con's on either side. I started to lean towards the whipple because of its simplicity and theoretical ability to make the power that I am looking for (proven in car applications) and also because putting out feelers on the value of used Gen 3 Blower setups have left me shaking my head...truck guys are cheap, lol. As i started looking at pushing the whipple, it occurred to me that running a 6 rib setup at the upper boost levels, might prove challenging.I haven't seen any lower pulley/balancer (whipple) setups for our trucks, which would likely get me where I want to go, but still risk with only 6 ribs.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by EarlH
If I go the built bottom end or LT4 SB route, it will be a flex fuel truck. RE: my original question...I want to make sure the poweradder I chose wont result in a bunch of unexpected issues as I try to push things. I have posted before about considering a switch to turbocharging vs staying with the whipple. I'm starting to get quite a list of pro's/con's on either side. I started to lean towards the whipple because of its simplicity and theoretical ability to make the power that I am looking for (proven in car applications) and also because putting out feelers on the value of used Gen 3 Blower setups have left me shaking my head...truck guys are cheap, lol. As i started looking at pushing the whipple, it occurred to me that running a 6 rib setup at the upper boost levels, might prove challenging.I haven't seen any lower pulley/balancer (whipple) setups for our trucks, which would likely get me where I want to go, but still risk with only 6 ribs.
Roots/Procharger

Needs

8 rib or higher
Crank pinned (this is a must. if not, you're losing the bolt and possible a crank)
Meth
Safe tune
Catch can setup
Proper fueling

Turbo
Crank pinned (see above. same applies)
Meth
Safe tune
Catch can setup
Proper fueling

Of course, the above is dependent on your power goals/boost level but above should apply above 10psi with either one.

Without the crank pinned on higher boost levels, there is so much torque down low that the crank will spin inside of the crank pulley. Usually, it'll start with a belt squeal on hard decel (think having your foot in it and you suddenly let off).

(Some people will laugh at this and others will back it up.)

Have at least $10k set aside for doing this, after you purchase your needed power adder. Why? **** adds up quick when you start getting this/that/etc.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by madmann26
Roots/Procharger

Needs

8 rib or higher
Crank pinned (this is a must. if not, you're losing the bolt and possible a crank)
Meth
Safe tune
Catch can setup
Proper fueling

Turbo
Crank pinned (see above. same applies)
Meth
Safe tune
Catch can setup
Proper fueling

Of course, the above is dependent on your power goals/boost level but above should apply above 10psi with either one.

Without the crank pinned on higher boost levels, there is so much torque down low that the crank will spin inside of the crank pulley. Usually, it'll start with a belt squeal on hard decel (think having your foot in it and you suddenly let off).

(Some people will laugh at this and others will back it up.)

Have at least $10k set aside for doing this, after you purchase your needed power adder. Why? **** adds up quick when you start getting this/that/etc.
Its not so much of a cost question (not my 1st rodeo, just my 1st late model truck rodeo) as which power adder setup is best to get married to for the long haul at power in the 7-800hp range. Not everything that is avail in the car space will work in the truck space, even with the same engine.
I have all the fuel system parts (high side/low side and port injection), save for the low pressure pump.
The motor will be setup for the power adder of choice....

Whipple will need ~15lbs on a lower compression lt4 shortblock/heads...on 6 rib, probably a stretch and no DI truck 8 rib pulley setups

Turbo: will need adequately sized DP, crossover and cold side (incl intercooler)...

Problem is not a lot of info out there on setups at this power level for the trucks. I hear “rumors” and my friend’s truck which was done at so & so’s shop...but can’t find much in writing. I don’t want to be a pioneer, being a pioneer means lots of R&D and shop testing, which is time and $$....that is what my “race” cars are for (TT 427 Gen 2 V and Single Turbo C7 Z). Armageddon is the closest thing to a proven setup, but not looking to dual top mount setup (heat mgmt issues) and also not looking to spend $14-15K on turbo system alone. The truck is my wife’s vehicle and is kinda the “side piece” to occasionally drive when either of the two cars are down or in my current case, out being finished.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by EarlH

Its not so much of a cost question (not my 1st rodeo, just my 1st late model truck rodeo) as which power adder setup is best to get married to for the long haul at power in the 7-800hp range. Not everything that is avail in the car space will work in the truck space, even with the same engine.
I have all the fuel system parts (high side/low side and port injection), save for the low pressure pump.
The motor will be setup for the power adder of choice....

Whipple will need ~15lbs on a lower compression lt4 shortblock/heads...on 6 rib, probably a stretch and no DI truck 8 rib pulley setups

Turbo: will need adequately sized DP, crossover and cold side (incl intercooler)...

Problem is not a lot of info out there on setups at this power level for the trucks. I hear “rumors” and my friend’s truck which was done at so & so’s shop...but can’t find much in writing. I don’t want to be a pioneer, being a pioneer means lots of R&D and shop testing, which is time and $$....that is what my “race” cars are for (TT 427 Gen 2 V and Single Turbo C7 Z). Armageddon is the closest thing to a proven setup, but not looking to dual top mount setup (heat mgmt issues) and also not looking to spend $14-15K on turbo system alone. The truck is my wife’s vehicle and is kinda the “side piece” to occasionally drive when either of the two cars are down or in my current case, out being finished.

Have you contacted Rick @ TrickTurbo? I'm sure he could work something up for you as far as a cold side/hot side/dp setup.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by madmann26
Have you contacted Rick @ TrickTurbo? I'm sure he could work something up for you as far as a cold side/hot side/dp setup.
I checked out their website and didn't find a 14-18 kit. I believe they offer a header, but not a complete kit. I spoke with Spike Performance yesterday and the committed to getting me pics of what they offer, but nothing has come across yet. I'm really looking for something that is on at least half to a dozen cars (verified) with a fair amount of miles and all the bugs worked out. Starting to look more and more like that doesn't exist in the turbo space.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:14 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

You already have the blower, correct?

A 2.9 whipple will EASILY make 700+ at the tires on that new truck. Hell cam only 5.3's are doing that. You have more cubes and more compression. Both make a massive difference with a blower.