FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Is 10.5:1 compression too high?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HRHohio
Hi Jake,

Ever hang out with the VegasLSX crowd? Come Check us out. We have another guy who just put a front mount turbo in his 2003 GMC Sierra 5.3.

VegasLSX

We meet at Town Square on Friday Nights, 7:30 pm, and at Cars n Coffee on Saturdays at around 8:00am.

See ya,
HRHohio (on this board)
(Bad Z28 on the VegasLSX board)
Damn recruiters lol.

Looking forward to seeing a turbo build of your truck. I would really like to check it out before the turbo goes in as it seems like a beast already.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HRHohio
Hi Jake,

Ever hang out with the VegasLSX crowd? Come Check us out. We have another guy who just put a front mount turbo in his 2003 GMC Sierra 5.3.

VegasLSX

We meet at Town Square on Friday Nights, 7:30 pm, and at Cars n Coffee on Saturdays at around 8:00am.

See ya,
HRHohio (on this board)
(Bad Z28 on the VegasLSX board)
Hey I've talked to hawaiian_built a few times before about coming out. As soon as I get my truck squared away, I will bring it out. I'll be in touch

Looking forward to seeing a turbo build of your truck. I would really like to check it out before the turbo goes in as it seems like a beast already.
If it happened, it wouldn't be for a while. I'd like to get 10,000 miles or so on this new motor. But that will definitly be the next step.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Hawaiian_Built
Damn recruiters lol.
ROFL!!!!!

It's in my nature! (Congratulations on your Re-Enlistment) We thank you!

Go get em Killer!

hehehe

HH
Old 04-03-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Meth refills just come up depending on how you set the car up to use the meth. Normally you set it to come on as the car goes into its top ¼ of boost. So if you are getting into boost a lot, then you'll use a lot of meth.

With a motor like yours if the car was setup right you could probably get around for the most part happily with no boost. So you might use a small amount, ( or you can choose to shut it off around town and only run it when you race it ) Its kinda like having N2o on a window switch preminently open.

You are gonna use as much as you use.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BuffJoeyD
Meth refills just come up depending on how you set the car up to use the meth. Normally you set it to come on as the car goes into its top ¼ of boost. So if you are getting into boost a lot, then you'll use a lot of meth.

With a motor like yours if the car was setup right you could probably get around for the most part happily with no boost. So you might use a small amount, ( or you can choose to shut it off around town and only run it when you race it ) Its kinda like having N2o on a window switch preminently open.

You are gonna use as much as you use.
When I got my car back with my Turbo installed, I went through about a gallon and a half of methanol/water (Windshield Washer Fluid) in the first week. I used my washer reservoir for my meth fluid tank. Of course I was having so much fun tearing around town, I also went through 3 tanks of gas in 7 days.

Like Joe said, you only use what you use in boost. If you drive it "Normal", it will last you a while. If you get sporty with it, you will have to refill more often. By the way, the blue windshield washer fluid is about $2 a gallon here. Not a huge cost to keep up with. But the benefits are great.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea that would be the way to go. I didn't know you could set it up to spray like that. How does the system know when your in boost?
Old 04-03-2012, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

What do you guys think about a remote mount turbo to keep the under hood temps down. Or will it not really make a difference if I'm running meth?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by oakley6575
What do you guys think about a remote mount turbo to keep the under hood temps down. Or will it not really make a difference if I'm running meth?
That's what I'm running. Custom Rear Mount T76 Ball Bearing with .96 AR (On3 Performance Brand) and I love it. (in my Camaro). Didn't have to do hardly anything to the engine compartment, no relocating AC, Alternator, etc. I'm unning stock exhaust manifolds, stock y pipe, all the way to the back. Spools fast enough for me. I also went with the LS9 Cam. Putting down 551 rwhp on a safe tune @10 psi.

Pop the hood and it looks so clean, like it came out of the factory. I'm happy with it.

I'll eventually wrap the exhaust pipes I think. We'll see.

I'm also running meth, but my tuner said he tuned it safe so if I run out of juice, it's still safe. But running meth/water, it lowers the intake air temp (nothing to do with under hood temps) which increases hp. I would definitely recommend running meth/wate setup. Best bang for buck.

The injector is managed by a control unit and pump. You set when you want it to come on (I have mine set for 2psi boost) so when I'm not in boost, it doesn't kick in and waste fluid. Check out Snow Methanol Injection systems. (google).
Old 04-04-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was thinking about an 80mm since I'm running a 408 and the heads will flow a lot of air. It will still be a daily so I would want it to bee in boost by 2500-3000. I dont know much about turbos so I don't' know if that is realistic with that size of a turbo. I could buy a built kit from kb or trick but I usually like to do things myself. So we will see what happens.

Looks like I will have to get the meth kit. I don't see a reason not to. Also I think I will put a smaller cam in pig when it comes time. It would be nice to get better driveability out of it as well.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by oakley6575
I was thinking about an 80mm since I'm running a 408 and the heads will flow a lot of air. It will still be a daily so I would want it to bee in boost by 2500-3000. I dont know much about turbos so I don't' know if that is realistic with that size of a turbo. I could buy a built kit from kb or trick but I usually like to do things myself. So we will see what happens.

Looks like I will have to get the meth kit. I don't see a reason not to. Also I think I will put a smaller cam in pig when it comes time. It would be nice to get better driveability out of it as well.
Yeah, do your research. You have to balance spool time with flow. Check out compressor maps for different turbos. The nice thing about rear mount is you can get away with smaller turbos because of a little heat loss.
How to choose the right turbo - DSM Forums

It will depend on your power goals. I had mine spec'd for me. Asked for something that I could "Grow into" if I go forged and want to push it to 750-800 hp. If you plan on going bigger than that, then yes, go 80. Otherwise, T76 should get you up to 750 and not hurt your spool time.

Personally, I think a T76 with .96 AR would be a great starting place for you.

Also, the LS9 Cam is so streetable. 122.5 LSA drives like my stock LS1 cam. Can't tell a difference. Sooo smooth. It's just a little bigger than the LS6 cam. I love it.

Quick Reply: Is 10.5:1 compression too high?