Eastern VA, MD, DE, WV, PA, ME, VT, MA, CT, NH, NY, NJ, RI

Hockey HoCKEY HOCKEY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hockey HoCKEY HOCKEY!!!

My son is no star player by any means, but I love to watch him, I never did take it up as a kid, no ice rinks when I grew up. But tonight was sign ups and the off-season kids (didn't play last season) have to do a try-out to get placed on a team (they get skills asessed so no team ends up with a bunch of ringers). Already getting the little one used to the ice.

October 4th the pro's (so they call themselves ) start back up.

Last edited by dewmanshu; 12-19-2006 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Truck addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool. i learned to skate and play hockey in buffalo. not that i was any good but i enjoyed it. all the other kids had been skating since they were young. i was a newbie from MS. but i got the hang of it. tell him not to be scared of getting hit or hitting. it's part of the sport
Old 08-22-2006, 05:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Enjoy!! I can't wait to be a proud father.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:43 AM

yeh proud father is certainly true, even when I got that principle phone call, "Mr Gibson, your son told the told the teacher to f$ck off." LOL

He is really light on the skates. He doesn't take hits very well, HOWEVER, he understands them. Coach always makes him defense, to get him used to the aggressive side. Coach teaches him to check hard around the net. It's cool. Great place to get rid of some aggression if not anything else. He does well enough, if I had to grade him compared to all the others in his league, he falls in around the top 30 kids out of say a hundred. Put him on a PS2 though, he'll hand your *** to ya! LOL

Plus the sport is AWESOME for making video compilations!LOL
Old 08-23-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

excellent decision getting him into hockey. best sport ever. i still play, although it sucks. all i can do is intramurals at school. we have a club team but it's a waste of time/money. sucks going from playing juniors to intramurals, but my school (Northeastern) is in hockey east and i'm not really hockey east material. haha.

by the way, your kid checks? he seems pretty young to start checking. unless they changed the age since i played youth hockey.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:24 PM

no checking. LOL It's good that they don't, there are some good kids out there and they have some size...the younger ones would get murdered.

At least you play though, I wish I did, between time and too late to learn...blah.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

I know all about the Proud Father thing! For my son it's baseball tho. Keep 'em interested in sports as long as you can, people have no idea the positive impact that being on a team and being part of something can make. My son is 12 and just finished up his 7th year of baseball, including some "fall ball" which is like another whole season besides regular ball....and this year his team was 0-13..as in NO WINS!!! At first it was difficult for him with his competitve nature and willingness to win, but in the end, he took it like a champ and actually grew more from that than anything. He was determined to keep the team together thru it all and actually told me that even tho they didn't win A game, he thought he had his personal best year ever...which he did....not just playing, but by saying that. It would have brought a tear to glass eye! Times like these are priceless.....for sure....ENJOY!
Old 08-23-2006, 09:45 PM

that's funny you mention that, all last year he was on a team that almost swept 2 seasons in a row. Won the championships, and this year I was telling him I'd like to see him on a team that has to struggle a little more to win. Its a recipe for great character. (another post hehehe)
Old 08-23-2006, 09:56 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

That was my son's teams problem. The won the World Series last year, which gave them last draft pick. Also, most of the 12 year olds (it's 11-12) moved up, and to top it off he had a Rookie Coach, who was one hell of a nice guy, but didn't really know what he was doing, and admitted it. Character building recipe in the finest.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goshawk23
cool. i learned to skate and play hockey in buffalo. not that i was any good but i enjoyed it. all the other kids had been skating since they were young. i was a newbie from MS. but i got the hang of it. tell him not to be scared of getting hit or hitting. it's part of the sport

GO BUFFALO!!!! BILLS that is

Quick Reply: Hockey HoCKEY HOCKEY!!!