Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Graphs | Power Comparisons | Dyno Truck List

Trick to STS swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 03:21 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I might have a 3.5'' Dp laying around that would fit that
Old 04-24-2010, 05:25 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to see a thread like this, great info.

Makes me miss my old STS kit.

Nothing else sounds as good to me as the STS does, that turbo just sings back there and is music to my ears.

600 hp has to be a sick ride ! congrats.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie
good thing about the sts is the IAT's are good. which is were a good bit of power can be made

This is because we love using the cheap ebay intercooler FMIC's. Heat exchangers ARE NOT the same based on size. Step up to a Garrett or PTE core and your AIT will stay around ambient, even with 700-800+hp. This is proven in numerous back to back test on turbo cars. Here is one writeup (http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/mi...oler-test.html)

This is just one test from one vendor who's built 6 second 1/4 cars. However, a google search will bring up many others.

Heres the meat and gravy from the testing:

Garrett Core: Air temp after the intercooler at the start of the pull, 62.60 degrees.
Air temp after the intercooler at the end of the pull, 69.80 degrees.
Increase in air temp 7.2 degrees.
Peak boost was 40.3 psi.

We then bolted on the Ebay special. Absolutely NO changes were made to anything other than bolting on the I/C.

Car made 633 whp and 505 ft lbs of torque. So not a bad loss at this HP level.

Here is the BAD part.

Air temp after the intercooler at the start of the pull, 62.60 degrees.
Air temp after the intercooler at the end of the pull, 122 degrees!! That is an increase in air temp of 59.4 degrees in a single gear pull!
Peak boost went up which I find strange as it hit 42.1.

Dave Buschur summary:
**So in summary the intercooler with 2 more psi boost made 10 less whp than our Race FMIC at that is at big HP levels. The problem is the intercooler is NOT EFFICIENT AT REMOVING HEAT. Which is what it is there for. I am betting the stock FMIC is not much worse than this. An increase of 59.4 degrees is absolutely HUGE in a single gear pull. On a summer day or road race/autocross situation this intercooler would absolutely SUCK.

Last edited by foose04; 04-24-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
This is some great comparison info!! Thanks for posting this up. There's alot more under the curve power that was lost from the STS than I would have originally thought! Very cool!
The power loss under the curve was the lag with the STS kit. With the big housing on my t76 it wouldn't make full boost before 5k. The Trick kit makes 14.5psi at 4k so the numbers look very lopsided. Once they are at the same boost level the numbers were very close.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stock48
I might have a 3.5'' Dp laying around that would fit that
How much do you want for it? PM me and I will probably take it off your hands.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by foose04
This is because we love using the cheap ebay intercooler FMIC's. Heat exchangers ARE NOT the same based on size. Step up to a Garrett or PTE core and your AIT will stay around ambient, even with 700-800+hp. This is proven in numerous back to back test on turbo cars. Here is one writeup (http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/mi...oler-test.html)

This is just one test from one vendor who's built 6 second 1/4 cars. However, a google search will bring up many others.

Heres the meat and gravy from the testing:

Garrett Core: Air temp after the intercooler at the start of the pull, 62.60 degrees.
Air temp after the intercooler at the end of the pull, 69.80 degrees.
Increase in air temp 7.2 degrees.
Peak boost was 40.3 psi.

We then bolted on the Ebay special. Absolutely NO changes were made to anything other than bolting on the I/C.

Car made 633 whp and 505 ft lbs of torque. So not a bad loss at this HP level.

Here is the BAD part.

Air temp after the intercooler at the start of the pull, 62.60 degrees.
Air temp after the intercooler at the end of the pull, 122 degrees!! That is an increase in air temp of 59.4 degrees in a single gear pull!
Peak boost went up which I find strange as it hit 42.1.

Dave Buschur summary:
**So in summary the intercooler with 2 more psi boost made 10 less whp than our Race FMIC at that is at big HP levels. The problem is the intercooler is NOT EFFICIENT AT REMOVING HEAT. Which is what it is there for. I am betting the stock FMIC is not much worse than this. An increase of 59.4 degrees is absolutely HUGE in a single gear pull. On a summer day or road race/autocross situation this intercooler would absolutely SUCK.
I completely agree but for $69 the Ebay intercooler works good enough for now. At my boost level on a stock motor I would be using meth anyways for a little safety.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

nothing wrong with the ole rear mounts!... if the heads werent made for NA only i would do one.... only thing i do not like is the oil return pump
Old 04-25-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by daryn c
nothing wrong with the ole rear mounts!... if the heads werent made for NA only i would do one.... only thing i do not like is the oil return pump
Thats why we got a buzzard that goes off incase the pump stops workin
Old 04-25-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BADAZZSS
Thats why we got a buzzard that goes off incase the pump stops workin
I agree about the oil pump being a pita but mine never had an issue in the last two years. I bought a new pump for my used STS kit online for $179 and ran it on high all the time with no issues. The pump I got was 10 times quieter than the STS pump.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:56 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These numbers were made with a stock LQ4 and a Z06 cam? No head work or anything

Quick Reply: Trick to STS swap