Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Graphs | Power Comparisons | Dyno Truck List

Horsepower Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Horsepower Numbers

I am thinking my recent dyno numbers are lower than they really should be. If, I give a full rundown on the truck. Is there anyone who could give me a good estimate on what I should be putting down for hp? I know no one can give exact numbers without the truck being there. I'm looking for good estimates.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 410 Likes on 321 Posts

Take it to the track and weigh it before you go. Only real way to calculate horsepower in my mind...
Old 09-07-2021, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by smokinlmm
Take it to the track and weigh it before you go. Only real way to calculate horsepower in my mind...
It's a regular cab long bed 4x4. It's not a track truck. I'm just trying to figure out if my dyno numbers are low. Or, about what should be expected. It runs great. But, I was expecting/hoping for better results.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

wallaceracing.com calculators. This is fun to play with. They use crank hp for the calculations and only a 10% drivetrain loss for whp.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 410 Likes on 321 Posts

Only way to know for sure, dyno is only as good as operator and it has to be serviced properly, I've found most shop do not keep them up and they aren't accurate. In defense of shops with dynos I'd say they use them more to tune than get real world hp numbers. The tuner who did my truck has been to jail quite a few times trying to dail one in on the street, so remember they are tools for tuning mostly now...
Old 09-07-2021, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
wallaceracing.com calculators. This is fun to play with. They use crank hp for the calculations and only a 10% drivetrain loss for whp.
So, supposedly they are 285 at the crank. In theory I should be around 256 at the wheels bone stock. So, with long tube headers, offroad y pipe, k&n drop in filter, and maxed out on tune for 87 octane with new long block. How in the world am I only getting 260 at the wheels??
Old 09-07-2021, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by smokinlmm
Only way to know for sure, dyno is only as good as operator and it has to be serviced properly, I've found most shop do not keep them up and they aren't accurate. In defense of shops with dynos I'd say they use them more to tune than get real world hp numbers. The tuner who did my truck has been to jail quite a few times trying to dail one in on the street, so remember they are tools for tuning mostly now...
Tuner has a good reputation. And, some of the rides he's done are laying down some pretty impressive numbers. Truck runs good. But, just going off of the numbers for what are supposed to be bone stock. And, rough percentage losses. I should be at higher numbers. So, it's looking more like bigger cam and 93 octane tune are in the future.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Drivetrain loss will be closer to 20%, so 285chp would be closer to 228whp. I'd be happy with a 32whp gain with just bolting on headers and a drop-in filter. Understand your tuner basically adjusted the tune for the headers installed and probably gave you all he could in terms of timing with 87 octane and maybe touched torque management a bit.

What was your expectation that you feel its low?

As said, weight + MPH = HP will tell the tale.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ALL ULL C
Drivetrain loss will be closer to 20%, so 285chp would be closer to 228whp. I'd be happy with a 32whp gain with just bolting on headers and a drop-in filter. Understand your tuner basically adjusted the tune for the headers installed and probably gave you all he could in terms of timing with 87 octane and maybe touched torque management a bit.

What was your expectation that you feel its low?

As said, weight + MPH = HP will tell the tale.
Guess I've watched one too many Richard Holdener videos. And, expected to be much closer to 300 at the wheels. Giving SERIOUS consideration to a stage 2 btr cam. And, bumping to 93 octane tune. But, if it's still not going to hit the 3s. Can I really justify another $1000 after parts, install, and retune??
Old 09-07-2021, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

For your mods 260 as the wheels is correct, **** both of my cammed lq9 trucks dyno'd around 380whp going thru a 4l80e. These trucks don't really put out great dyno numbers n/a unless you do a max effort setup and those setups suck to drive.
Its always easy for me to justfy spending more money on my truck lol
The following users liked this post:
F5Sierra (09-07-2021)

Quick Reply: Horsepower Numbers