Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Whats the fix for front wheels turning inwards on launch??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Whats the fix for front wheels turning inwards on launch??

My truck is a 1990 454ss and everytime i launch this truck at the track, the front tires lay in on top and turn inwards. I know years ago i ran bump steer kits on my fox mustangs but havnet seen anything like it for the trucks. Whats the ideal fix that i need for the problem. You can see how they lean in and forwards in this pic. The engine is out of the truck right now and the tires are so crooked and squeal like crazy on the concrete when rolling it around.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:23 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

That is a severe bump steer issue. You need to adjust the bump steer.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What attitude are the tires at with the engine in and the truck sitting static? How does it drive? What have you done to the front suspension for drag racing? Removed the sway bar? Different control arms? drag shocks? As you can see some background would help here...
If the truck launches good, drives straight and doesn't jump around on the track I wouldn't worry about how the tires look at full droop. As long as it settles down and drives straight at mid-track the tires don't care where they are when you are carrying them off the line.
Mark
Old 08-29-2018, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The truck has moroso trick drag springs up front with 90/10 shocks and stock control arms. Setting with full weight and alignment correct it looks fine right now. It just goes down the track with the front lifted and they stay like this til you let off the throttle. Im just not sure what route i need to take in fixing the bumpsteer issue with it.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you haven't changed any suspension components other then springs and shocks you don't have any "bump steer". All you are seeing is the tire at full rebound during launch. That is what the soft springs and shocks are supposed to do. They let the truck come up easier in the front, under acceleration letting the tires hang. If the truck drives straight you have nothing to worry about...
Mark