Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

More traction on street vs. drag strip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZQ8Dude
No, you can claim that it was rated at 12s, but if you havent made a 12 second pass, how do you know you can do 12s??

Besides....IMO its kinda poser-ish to go around saying what a car is rated at and not what you actually get out of it.
So if you buy the car, from the previous owner, who has run a 12.5 consistently over many times on the track, the car still isn't a 12 second car? That's rediculous, it's a proven car. We're not exactly talking about driver ability here. Driving a Z06 might take a little skill to get the best times, as will any very high performance machine with a stick or super high horsepower or inherent traction issues. But this is an automatic car, with drag radials, a little suspension work, and a solid rear axle; it's not Z06 science

Besides....IMO what's poser-ish is to make the leap that because you're TRUCK has traction issues, that a Camaro with DR's will, even though you've NEVER raced with one on the street or strip, I doubt you've even driven one.

Last edited by jaguar5822; 11-07-2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trever1t
This is indeed a fact. You can not claim a track time until you run it at the track and get a slip. Period. You can have a 10000000rwhp car but if you don't have that slip you don't get to claim a time.
speaking of traction issues...
Old 11-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jaguar5822
I would have to say M/S tires are a bit irrelevent compared to DR's.
The discussion wasnt on drag radial's....his comment was very relevant and makes total sense to the ops question and argument! This post was on topic. lol unlike the driver argument above. I understand both point of views on that...I have a SS camaro that I know is an 11 sec car but I have not made it down the track without breaking long enough to get that....so it is still just a low 12 car. I drove a buddy's zo6 one night and went 12.44@116 and he only went 13.38 so what can he tell his friends???? lol It all comes down to being honest with what you have. I have a decent running silverado too but it has never ran in the 12's......slow on the big end and spinning out of the whole. It has went a best of 13.10 @ 102. now it has been tuned better and the converter will lock in drive to help the big end mph and I have slicks so surely to god it will go 12's.....but I still cant say I have a 12 second truck and it sucks bad! lol I would like to see it go some 12.50's but it will prolly run a 12.99 with my luck or even a 13.0000000001 ha ha
Old 11-07-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

You guys must have really shitty track prep.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1989k1500
You guys must have really shitty track prep.
Can't really argue with that. Plus i usually run on wednesdays when they barely prep the track, but its only 15$ to run and until my truck makes some better times, i just cant justify spending 40$ for a friday/saturday test and tune.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by carfreak07
The discussion wasnt on drag radial's....his comment was very relevant and makes total sense to the ops question and argument! This post was on topic. lol unlike the driver argument above.
Not to be rude, but the argument is based on my car running on DR's, not M/S tires. And that sucks *** about your rear ends man, makes me glad I have an auto. You might want to stay away from traction until you get a 12 bolt or a ford 9" lol.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by carfreak07
The discussion wasnt on drag radial's....his comment was very relevant and makes total sense to the ops question and argument! This post was on topic.
This is true. Like the OP, I also get more traction on the street than at the strip. I was saying my problem isn't on launch it's on the 1-2 shift..So I'm ordering some stickies on Monday
Old 11-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LMSeven
This is true. Like the OP, I also get more traction on the street than at the strip. I was saying my problem isn't on launch it's on the 1-2 shift..So I'm ordering some stickies on Monday
Please see post #9 if you STILL think that M/S tires are relevant to the discussion at hand
Old 11-09-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ZQ8Dude
Anyhow, my last set of tires, i found that they would hook on the asphault around here, but not as well on the strip. I seemed to spin right off the line at the track and could get a better launch on the street.

Anyone ever ran into this?

Yeah, nothing to do with this thread. Keep bench racing.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LMSeven
Yeah, nothing to do with this thread. Keep bench racing.
Here's a quote, since you obviously can't read nor comprehend. If what I stated about the basis of the question was off topic, the OP would have said so. Everyone else gets that, why can't you? As already stated, I can't take my car to the track without getting booted out. Otherwise we wouldn't have had the discussion in the first place, because I would already have proof that one of us is right. Go troll somewhere else.

"The discussion actually stemmed from the OP stating that I would get worse traction at the track, when I get perfect traction on the street. This is on DR's on a mostly stock 2001 SS with an auto. I explained that I never get wheelspin on the street and wouldn't get any on a prepped track, and he argued that because he gets better launches on the street, that I would probably spin I tried to explain the difference in launching an auto and a stick as well as the consistency issues to no avail, and then resorted to insisting I'm a poser and know nothing because I've never taken it to the track."

Quick Reply: More traction on street vs. drag strip?