Dodge Engine & Exhaust Performance All EFI, Hemi, Magnum, 4.7, 5.9

hemi engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hemi engine swap

I have an 2003 hemi that im looking to swap with a 2006 hemi. can anyone tell me if i need to get an 06 pcm to match up with the 06 motor or can i use my 03 pcm and get it flashed to reset the whole computer to match up with the 06 swap.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:42 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Think would be some issues involved.
Maybe give Stu at Inertia Motorsports a call.

You could block off the EGR (03's don't have em)
I think there are some sensor differences and such you would have to deal with.
Maybe as simple as retaining some of the 03 sensors.. IDK.

the pre 06 harness could be modified to feed the coil packs instead of old style coils with spark plug crossover wires. think they even sell an adaptor kit.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Use your 03 sensors, but you will have to make sure to remove/replace the MDS hardware, as it will not function in an 03 and may even cause problems.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:08 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Don't think the hardware ( solenoids and lifters) will be a problem I've probably run 20K miles with them disabled via tuner and countless runs down the track.
Chris swapped an 07 hemi into an 06 4.7 leaving all the mds mechanical in place.
that particular 4.7to 5.7swap requires the use of a mopar performance manual throttle body btw
anyway far as I know nobody has had issues with the mds bits being disabled just like they would be the pcm was pre 06 and wouldn't every turn them on. The natural state is 8 cylinder mode.

The lifters, either type, do tend to get noisier each time they are fully unloaded for cam swap, head swap etc. usually not problem the first couple to 3 times.
And perhaps you should still stick with an mds compatible cam.. well not really sure about that since there would be no way to activate the mds system. and again I haven't heard of any issues with mds enabled while running a cam not really compatable with mds.

Now a couple of months back we swapped mine (were getting noisy) with non mds lifters, still leaving the mds solenoids in place and still disabled via superchips.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Teching In

That's what I was talking about, I would just retrofit a non-MDS cam and valvetrain.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:18 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Asked Sam about this, he's talked with Stu about it in the past and he thinks eveyhing would work on the engine swap. Retain the 03 intake manifold with it's no egr and different style MAP sensor.
You could swap the valve covers and coils from the 03 if you wanted to avoid converting to coil packs. (then sell the leftover 06 stuff)

On the pcm if you wanted to swap a newer year, we had someone just do a swap over on nadodge.
installing a 2005 pcm in a 2003 Ram
http://www.nadodge.com/showthread.php?t=5193
find a 2005 truck in a junkyard

take off the wiring harness..complete.... engine wiring harness...lights harness...the wiring that goes in between the fenders...and the long wiring that plugs up from the drives side wheel well all the way to the back lights... its not that difficult..just time consuming.....get the computer,05 pedal with the bracket or it will not sit on yours.....then email sean for a hemifever tune
yea i found it at a junkyard...the price was freaking high .... 800 for wiring harness...and 200 for computer...75 for the pedal..plus tuning...

Note using a used pcm the vin in the pcm would be of the salvaged vehicle.
that might be an issue sometime down the line at an inspection, dealer repair or sale.
But you might be able to buy a new 05 pcm and get it flashed to the correct vin. or maybe even find someone that can re-vin a used pcm, don't think the dealership can or is allowed to do that.

Anyway if all you want to do is swap the motor and keep the 03 pcm that's the way to go. The PCM swaps are more about gaining tuning features not available on an 03
Old 01-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RandTx
Anyway if all you want to do is swap the motor and keep the 03 pcm that's the way to go. The PCM swaps are more about gaining tuning features not available on an 03
Like the trans. The 03 hemi can't be tuned by SCT (but my wife's 3.7 Liberty can, how does that work?). Superchips can adjust rev and speed limit, but nothing custom. Diablo can do custom tune, but not rev and speed limit. Sucks to be an 03 sometimes lol.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:40 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
Like the trans. The 03 hemi can't be tuned by SCT (but my wife's 3.7 Liberty can, how does that work?). Superchips can adjust rev and speed limit, but nothing custom. Diablo can do custom tune, but not rev and speed limit. Sucks to be an 03 sometimes lol.
That's true. however it's the only year that do the TM reductions via simply cutting a wire,
And really there have been a number of really fast 03 guys that worked around those issues, ran superchips + psc1 or + something else with cams that are still considered not the easiest to tune even today.

Or course since I run superchips and a psc1 I'm not as adverse to what you'd have to do to build up an 03 as most.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Teching In

I didn't cut it, I have lots of experience with those kind of wire connectors (Coast Guard 47's use them too) so I got the pin out of the connector and taped it out of the way. If you cut it, there's the possibility you'll have to repair it for whatever reason. Made the truck more fun to drive.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:01 PM

Use your 06' Motor ,BUT- Get a 2005 Ram wiring Harness and computer..All cylinders all the time, and totel tuning.03 and 04 have tuning options, but 05' has more. It's the perfect motor to swap..
I put a 2004 Hemi in my 2001 Dak Quad cab ..I wish I had used a 2005 Harness,but at the time I didn't know anything about Hemi's and I used an 03 Computer..I went backwords..

Quick Reply: hemi engine swap