Dodge Engine & Exhaust Performance All EFI, Hemi, Magnum, 4.7, 5.9

Dodge vs. GM trucks comparison, shopping...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge vs. GM trucks comparison, shopping...

I have a serious question regarding Dodge trucks and Chevy trucks. I am in the market of buying a newer crew cab 4 wheel drive truck and have narrowed my search down to Chevy and Dodge. I currently have an 02 Silverado with the 5.3L and it has been an amazing truck, after 120,000 miles I have never had one problem with it.

Basically I like the Dodge, not only for the price but those Hemi's seem to have lots of low end torque which is good for pulling. How reliable are those engines? And when it comes to modding, such as exhaust and adding a cam, does the Hemi respond like an LS GM motor? And what issues do I need to watch for when shopping for a Dodge truck?

Basically I'm looking for the Pros and Cons of each truck to help me determine which one I want. Thanks
Old 06-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

If your plans are to mod the truck, going GM would be a very smart move. The new Dodges are very nice from factory though. You might want to go test drive both and see what kind of real world MPG they're getting.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock for stock, You'll probably think that the RAM feels like it has more power. IMO, the LS engines aren't ideal for towing, but many people use them all the time with great success.

Like Scott said, if you're going to mod it, GM all the way.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

My 02 has a true dual exhaust, cold air intake and programmer and runs great, pulls great and everything else. I'd really like to stay GM as well since this truck has been such a good one. Basically with either truck, all I plan on doing is exhaust and bolt ons. I use it for a daily driver and sometimes to pull the boat or car hauler.

Maybe if I can locate a Vortec Max 6.0 I would be better off as far as reliability and horsepower? Basically I know the LS engines like the back of my hand but I have no clue as far as what the good and bad is on the Hemi trucks. Did Dodge ever fix their transmission issues?
Old 06-26-2011, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
If your plans are to mod the truck, going GM would be a very smart move. The new Dodges are very nice from factory though. You might want to go test drive both and see what kind of real world MPG they're getting.

That would most likely be the best option, I'm going to do a little more research on the dodge then go test drive both.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My buddy has the Laramie edition with the 5.7L Hemi and avg about 14-15 in the city and about 22 on the highway.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

i like a dodge ive had 4 of them all diff year models all with the 5.7 never had any problems pulled everything you can think of an raced most of them they take to bolt ons very well there down fall is tuning as far as the tranny its a good unit jus cant control it with tuning yet
Old 06-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Launching!

it depends what you plan to do with the truck. chevys down fall is the tranny. only bad thing i can say about dodge is the tunning issuses but there are companys out there that do it and hp tuners is supossed to have the program ready by november. i have intake programer exhaust and i average about 14 city 20 highway but i also have a factory 3.92 gear. pulling a 01 mustang gt cruise set on 75 get 15 mpg. As far as modding goes if you want a fast truck go chevy just because they are much easier to deal with tunning. dodge responds great to bolt ons. ( iv seen a stock hemi pick up 40 hp n 50 ft lbs from long tubes)
Old 07-02-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

50 ft lbs of tq from longtubes?? what do u mean u have seen this? specifics....oh and i would look for one of the new gm 6.2s if i was in the market for another truck. boltons and a tune and u would be good to go!
Old 07-09-2011, 03:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive had far fewer issues overall with GM vs Dodge. GM halfton suspensions suck for towing but ride is smoother and better mileage.

Quick Reply: Dodge vs. GM trucks comparison, shopping...