05 Cummins 3500 EGT Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Cummins 3500 EGT Question

This is my first Diesel vehical. I must say this Cummins is a pulling machine.

It is stock except for the Edge Just with Attitude CTS controler, K&N air filter, reducer ring removed from turbo and cat removed.

I am not after a race truck. This thing is my tow vehical. It pulls my race car trailer and my 4 horse trailer with living quarters.

I installed the CTS system and installed a EGT sensor in the exhaust manifold right befor the turbo.

I have no idea what to set the EGT max setpoint to or what temp to keep it under while loaded. I pull these trailers through hill country and several mountain roads and I see with the CTS set on zero (stock) setting the EGT's will hit 1300 while climbing and loaded down. With the CTS on any power level above 1300 the EGT's just go up from there.

What is the max safe EGT I should not let this thing see?

Thanks
Old 11-28-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont have a cummins but my dmax has airbox mod egr delete downpipe and 4in exhaust and my egt gauge reads 1200 and 1225 max pulling a 7x16 enclosed trailer with about 3500-3800lbs all together
Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
This is my first Diesel vehical. I must say this Cummins is a pulling machine.

It is stock except for the Edge Just with Attitude CTS controler, K&N air filter, reducer ring removed from turbo and cat removed.

I am not after a race truck. This thing is my tow vehical. It pulls my race car trailer and my 4 horse trailer with living quarters.

I installed the CTS system and installed a EGT sensor in the exhaust manifold right befor the turbo.

I have no idea what to set the EGT max setpoint to or what temp to keep it under while loaded. I pull these trailers through hill country and several mountain roads and I see with the CTS set on zero (stock) setting the EGT's will hit 1300 while climbing and loaded down. With the CTS on any power level above 1300 the EGT's just go up from there.

What is the max safe EGT I should not let this thing see?

Thanks
1300 is right on the edge I'm pretty sure, I wouldn't push it pass that. If they get up there just ease off the fuel till they start to comeback down and then ease back in to it
Old 11-28-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is a used truck. I am begining to wonder if it already has a tune in it with the way it runs stock. Dang thing pulls supper good and runs like a champ. The horse trailer is about 9500lbs unloaded. I took it to Junction Texas last week running east on I-10 through the hill country loaded with three horses and all our stuff in it for the trip, running about 75mph so I was pulling close to 14000lbs. I had the CTS set on power level 0 so I could leave the cruise control on. I would see it get close to 1300 running up the hills through there. It just blows past everything going up the hills and never drops out of overdrive. I have driven alot of Ford Diesels F-4500 with tool bed at work over the years and none of them run like this one and I never pulled a trailer with them (due to DOT rules on comercial vehicals).

Is there any symple way I can tell if it already has a tune in it?

One thing I noticed is with it set on zero, pulling the same trailer loaded the same, starting off from a dead stop at the bottom of a hill I still have to keep an eye on the EGT because it will climb over 1300 even on the stock power setting.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is a used truck. I am begining to wonder if it already has a tune in it with the way it runs stock. Dang thing pulls supper good and runs like a champ. The horse trailer is about 9500lbs unloaded. I took it to Junction Texas last week running east on I-10 through the hill country loaded with three horses and all our stuff in it for the trip, running about 75mph so I was pulling close to 14000lbs. I had the CTS set on power level 0 so I could leave the cruise control on. I would see it get close to 1300 running up the hills through there. It just blows past everything going up the hills and never drops out of overdrive. I have driven alot of Ford Diesels F-4500 with tool bed at work over the years and none of them run like this one and I never pulled a trailer with them (due to DOT rules on comercial vehicals).

Is there any symple way I can tell if it already has a tune in it?

One thing I noticed is with it set on zero, pulling the same trailer loaded the same, starting off from a dead stop at the bottom of a hill I still have to keep an eye on the EGT because it will climb over 1300 even on the stock power setting.
It sounds it has been flashed or has a pressure box plugged in? Check the sensors on the fuel rail and map sensor, drive side of engine about mid set, if it has a box it will be plugged in line with those sensors
Old 11-28-2012, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I was installing the Edge CTS I did not see anything else plugged in. I will look again. I am thinking it might be flashed already. I am the third owner of the truck.

Really right now I cannot utilize the any of the power levels the Edge CTS has above stock for towing because I will hit over 1300 on the EGT.

What can I do to lower the EGT so I can utilize this Edge CTS? Will a larger turbo lower EGT"s, Methonal kit? I am not looking to make this thing a race truck just a towing vehical that still gets good milage. It already tows great, and the milage is good for a one ton, but I would like to get a few more miles per gallon if I can.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I was installing the Edge CTS I did not see anything else plugged in. I will look again. I am thinking it might be flashed already. I am the third owner of the truck.

Really right now I cannot utilize the any of the power levels the Edge CTS has above stock for towing because I will hit over 1300 on the EGT.

What can I do to lower the EGT so I can utilize this Edge CTS? Will a larger turbo lower EGT"s, Methonal kit? I am not looking to make this thing a race truck just a towing vehical that still gets good milage. It already tows great, and the milage is good for a one ton, but I would like to get a few more miles per gallon if I can.
It may also have injectors, does it smoke? Factory it may puff a little cloud when you first stab it but if it streams smoke then it has something done to it. Bigger down pipe and straight exhaust helps a ton, after that then turbo
Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Might ought to check the vacuum line on the waste gate and make sure it hasn't been pinch off by a previous owner

Sorry about the repeated posts, just throwing this crap out there as it comes to mind
Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will check the waistgate line. It hits 38lbs on the stock setting, 41 with the other settings.

So you are saying putting a larger turbo on will help to lower the egt?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I think stock they are suppose to be around 31-32' so if your 38-40 it's got something pushing more fuel into it. If it was stock it would be throwing a check engine light due too over boosting. A aftermarket turbo will help along with bigger down pipe, exhaust ect. I don't know what the factory limits are on the lift pump but if your do go bigger turbo and add more fuel you will probably want to look into upgrading to a FASS pump so you don't crater your factory lift pump( been there done that)

Quick Reply: 05 Cummins 3500 EGT Question