Notices
Classic Trucks '47-'98 GM Trucks - Performance | Conversions | General Discussion

C1500 brake upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 12:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1500 brake upgrades

Looking at front brake upgrades for the 92 C1500 that I'll be picking up within the next couple weeks.

I've done another 92 with a C2500 6 lug 14 bolt, matching 6 lug front rotors, and 2500 calipers, but I'm looking for a bit more for this truck.

Planning on lowering it, moving some weight around in the truck (the biggest move being the fuel tank under the rear of the bed), to get a bit better handling out of it. To compliment the handling, I'd like a bit more brake than I had on the last one. Aesthetic reasons are also in play, as I've got 2015 GMC Denali 20s that make the existing rotors (and their 6 lug counterparts) look pathetic.

Has anyone done a major upgrade to the front brakes? Hours of Google searching turned up empty handed, unless I wanted to go with GMT800 spindles, which would work fine if I were building a 4x4 or AWD truck. I can't find anything on a 2wd upgrade that's not into thousands of dollars.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

GMT800's also have a 2WD hub FYI
Old 11-15-2015, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
GMT800's also have a 2WD hub FYI
I'm aware of the 2wd hub. Also aware of the GMT800 knuckle swap for bigger brakes on a GMT400 4x4 fit bigger brakes in a 4x4 or AWD application. Send that everywhere I've seen someone taking about it on a 2wd, there's some reason it won't work. Don't recall what it was, because i was researching for an AWD application. Still may go that way rather than the 2wd, since I have both chassis at my disposal.

The 4x4 is about 3" wider in the front than the 2wd, which sticks the wheels out a few inches past the fender at stock ride height, and lowering it will only make it worse.

May just have to get ahold of a set of stock GMT800 spindles and get them side by side, as well as being able to look at both bare chassis and see which will be easier to modify for what I want to do. Not scared of a little custom work as I've got a buddy who already does custom suspension fab who is in for whatever I come up with to make it work. Might not be a big deal to rework the front suspension geometry at the same time.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:23 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

The brakes are not bigger on the 4x4 or AWD in the GMT 800.

It was 05 Up where the front disc went from 12 inch to 13 inch.

The GMT 800 SUV's used a rear dual piston caliper like the SS trucks opposed to the single piston on standard trucks. They also had a thicker rear disc.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
The brakes are not bigger on the 4x4 or AWD in the GMT 800.
I'm aware. The problem lies in me attempting to build a factory 2wd GMT400 chassis, and using the GMT800 parts. It's been done a lot with GMT400 4x4s, nobody I've found has done it on a 2wd GMT400.

It was 05 Up where the front disc went from 12 inch to 13 inch.
Yup, with a readily available, relatively inexpensive 14" rotor upgrade, front and rear on the GMT800 stuff. GMT800 rear is definitely a possibility, especially considering the truck's current 3.08 gear set and open 8.5".
Old 11-16-2015, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

keep us posted on this for sure, I've researched this for a long time too, with the same results as you. I have a 97 with a 5-7drop and a healthy 5.7vortec, needs better brakes is an understatement!
Old 11-16-2015, 07:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by db caissie
keep us posted on this for sure, I've researched this for a long time too, with the same results as you. I have a 97 with a 5-7drop and a healthy 5.7vortec, needs better brakes is an understatement!
What have you don't to it to upgrade?

Last edited by GreaseDog; 11-16-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

only upgrades on the braking system is powerslot rotors and hawk pads, helps a lot for brake fade but not much for really added stopping power, as for the truck it's belltech spindles and springs, flip in the rear, 5.7 has everything on it for bolt on's. dosn't make a lot of power but for a daily driver its good. what i meant by needs better brakes is that anybody thats driven these gmt400 trucks knows the braking system is barely sufficient at the best of times. My truck is a standard cab long bed, and I use it pretty regularly to haul stuff, and sometimes a trailer.
I'd be curious to see what you come up with for the newer style spindles. I have a 17's with a 235/50/17 and I had to message the fender lips to work without rubbing. so I'd like to know if a drop spindle and unitized hub/bearing assembly would have the same hubface measurments. I don't have it in the budget to get a custom offset wheel.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by db caissie
only upgrades on the braking system is powerslot rotors and hawk pads, helps a lot for brake fade but not much for really added stopping power, as for the truck it's belltech spindles and springs, flip in the rear, 5.7 has everything on it for bolt on's. dosn't make a lot of power but for a daily driver its good. what i meant by needs better brakes is that anybody thats driven these gmt400 trucks knows the braking system is barely sufficient at the best of times. My truck is a standard cab long bed, and I use it pretty regularly to haul stuff, and sometimes a trailer.
I'd be curious to see what you come up with for the newer style spindles. I have a 17's with a 235/50/17 and I had to message the fender lips to work without rubbing. so I'd like to know if a drop spindle and unitized hub/bearing assembly would have the same hubface measurments. I don't have it in the budget to get a custom offset wheel.
I'd be seriously looking at Hydroboost.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

yep, I'm probly doing an lq4 swap this spring. the donor truck has the hydroboost system, so that will more then likely end up happening at the same time. your right though, I have looked at doing that in the past. seems like thats what most people do

Quick Reply: C1500 brake upgrades