Notices
Classic Trucks '47-'98 GM Trucks - Performance | Conversions | General Discussion

86 Chevy truck project

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 86 Chevy truck project

So all my life growing up my dad has talked about doing a truck like this with a hot cam. some recent things have come up and changed the timeline so its now or maybe never. Looking into buying a 1986 SCSB truck and we thought about pulling the 350 engine and trans and swapping for a 6.0l and 4L80E. This will be a gift to him when done he just doesnt know yet. I will be picking up a truck within the next two weeks and then probably immediately getting started.

Can anyone point me to a good build thread or give me some pro tips on if i should or shouldnt do this swap? will this be too involved? i will do some more recon on my own but i figured some of you may have this kind of info on the tip of your tongue.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:55 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

plenty of swaps on 67-72 truck forum and a few other sites. I did the same exact build on mine about 12 years ago. Dropped a 6.0/4l80e in my 86
Took some time, did most of it by myself, my son was too little to help back then. I had a blast doing it. Should be easier now, tons of swap kits with just about every single piece you need to get the new motor in and running. My motor had the drive by cable, so I did not have to change the pedal, just a lokar cable. Corvette regulator, get an 87 c10 tank and a drop a walbro pump in. I ran AN lines for the fuel/return. The truck was a screamer, I ended up selling it, got bored with it after all was done. Probably do another one in the future.
I would link my build thread on gm fullsize, but they redid their site and the link does not work. I know there are TONS of these swaps on 67-72 trucks forums. It's a great resource for ALL things squarebody.
Good luck!
Old 01-18-2019, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

They make pretty much everything you would need to make the swap. They sell motor mounts, transmission mounts and all that jazz through various vendors.

The only real tricky stuff is making the wiring function with the fuse block correctly. Plumbing in a new fuel system with pump, lines and filter. Possibly a regulator to maintain 58psi. Then create the exhaust for it and of course tune it so it can run in a swap vehicle.

If you want a cluster and dash functions that's another step in the process as well.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rework the harness, 4 wire is all you need. Get a 1990-1991 suburban/blazer cluster at the junkyard, most of those will have the electronic speedo, the other gauges will be good to go with the correct sender...cheap and easy. doug thorley makes headers for the swap, s&p used to when they were in business.
Probably other companies make direct fit headers too for this swap. The only thing aside from the fuel lines I had to "make" was a tranny crossmember, actually just had a friend weld on a "perch" to my stock one and fit perfect. Got a new yoke put on my driveshaft, and the stock length fit perfect....mine had a th350. ymmv
Old 06-04-2019, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Well just thought i would update the thread. I found a 74 charger that was in better shape than the truck and was less money. Win-win in my book! We hope to start with the engine this fall and maybe send the shell of too be stripped and painted maybe within the next 1-1.5 years!