Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

upgraded 8.1 rocker arms?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So there would be no point then in me even swapping them, i was gonna do it with the marine intake, a custom CIA, and diff exhaust, then custom tunes. If they wont do anything for me then i wont bother ill just do a cam and be done with it.

The added ratio should in theory and in actuality add more lift to the cam since they are angeled more am i wrong? If im right that would add power with the tuning as well.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:23 AM
hog
TECH Fanatic

I'm pretty sure that the GEN 7 8.1 truck intake and the GEN 7 8.1 marine intake are 1 in the same. Both are cast aluminum.
Even the 8.1 industrial intake manifold is the same just without the injector bungs drilled out.

The 525HP3 that was a stillborn crate engine from GM used the stock GEN 7 intake manifold but it was ported.

peace
Hog
Old 02-19-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Please correct me if i am wrong but dont the marine intakes eliminate the EGR and PCV? I also thought i was told they were composite.

Been tossing around the idea of a 6.0 swap with turbo build but major plans for the truck are a dmax swap in the future but wanted a little fun out of it first.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes marine intake doesnt have egr or evap holes.

i have one sitting here

if you want a cheap upgrade these are on my 800 horse motor

1 7 BBC 4340 Steel Roller Tip Rockers Chevy 396 427 454 | eBay

edward.coss@gmail.com
Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was mainly looking to get a little more lift from them without have to hassle with a cam swap. Just something to try and equal a mild cam, of course id change springs and push rods.

Honestly wanted to do the marine intake with the custom CAI, injectors, full exhaust(possibly some stock PnP'd heads but at that point just do a cam so not sure on that one) and what not with it to try and gain as much from the custom tune i could.

Ive read that the 8.1 is really only good for about 8psi of boost cause i was thinking of slappin a turbo on while doing all that and getting more from this beast before the dmax swap. If they are only good to 8 psi before the pistons crack whats the point(yes 8 psi in a 496 big block would be a decent diff i know that but still).

BTW is that marine composite?

Thoughts?

Last edited by usaf_hess; 02-20-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran my 03' 8.1l at 12 psi for couple of years with no problem. Went 13.3 @ 101mph. I towed a 6-7 psi. It pulled a 21 foot gooseneck trailer with a car load with scrape metal. Better then a 05' Dodge Cummins with empty 28 foot inclosed.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well thats a diff ball game then, i could have sworn i read a bunch about folks saying the pistons were too brittle for anything over 8 but hell im game with 12.

I may invest more into this 8.1 than i thought. you had a cam right? Any head work, what # injectors, custom intake, what size turbo, yadda yadda.

I was thinking i was gonna weld my own exhaust but figured while there why not turn the stock manis forward and add a turbo(or use shorties). Other thought was to use long tubes run it down dual into a remote mount then dual out again after turbo, only issue is lag but would give the charge air plenty of time(due to length of travel) to cool off without an intercooler. Plan was to hot coat all hot side and add heat wrap and a blanket on hot side of snail then use exhaust pipe with cooling fins(heat sinks) welded the full length for cold side. Only issue i hadf with that was filter locationfor turbo inlet.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Tierod what converter were you running in that truck?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in tucson a few months ago and was driving my 8.1 powered 1500 there
Old 02-25-2013, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had good luck out of my 8.1L... well until yesterday. lol.

Gess ill have to take it apart now and see whats up.

Not good - YouTube

anyway to answer your question all parts are made for the 8.1L, you just have to pay a lot more. Im not sure the cam helped out any at all, i do know with it on boost, the cam come on hard but im not srue it worth the effort if your not blowing into it..

Quick Reply: upgraded 8.1 rocker arms?