Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

LY6 - Spun Cam Bearing - Looking for Input

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default LY6 - Spun Cam Bearing - Looking for Input

Hey guys,

Here is the story, 09 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, 6.0 (LY6). LY6 so it is a VVT motor. My brother was driving the truck home, stabilitrack, abs light came on and power steering started to act up, so he pulled over and turned the truck off. The truck never started. I will spare you the details on all of the different things I tried to diagnose the truck. Ended up determining it was an issue with either the cam phaser, cam position sensor actuator solenoid or magnet. Well replacing the sensor did nothing, ended up pulling the timing cover and phaser, to find out the cam dowel pin sheared off. Which then lead to the discovery that a cam bearing welded it self to the cam (cam currently wont come out, but does spin freely). I would like to add that the truck had no mechanical noise what so ever, everything sounded completely fine. Never thought this no start issue was going to end up leading to this discovery.

Here is where I need input. Ideally once I pull the motor and can hopefully remove the cam I can bring the motor to the machine shop have new bearings installed (as long as the block is in good shape) and then have the rotating assembly freshened up. I am slightly concerned with why this happened. Oil pressure was great, truck gets regular oil changes, it is a daily and really does not see a whole lot of abuse other then plowing a few driveways. I am trying to narrow down some possible reasons for the failure, the bearing definitely got hot because on the camera you can see the heat marks.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated! I am also thinking of just deleting VVT and putting a very, very small cam in the truck.

Thank you!
Old 03-10-2021, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

Sounds like time to throw that motor in the trash and just get another. Probably cost ALOT less and ALOT less risky besides.

When a cam bearing does that, it usually trashes the bearing bore in the block. No cheeeeep eeeeeezy way to fix that.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:32 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

As long as the bore is not trashed, The cam bearings can be replaced. I would delete the VVT garbage myself.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I spun 2 cam bearings in my old H2 LQ4. The guy that took it off my hands has already replaced the bearings and its up and running again. I guess unless you really abuse it, the bearing is soft enough to not damage the block at all.

I haven't even got my new engine in yet....

Tim
Old 03-11-2021, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

I am hoping it is as simple as replacing with new bearings. That being said, as of right now the bearing is stuck on the cam so not sure how good it is really looking.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
As long as the bore is not trashed, The cam bearings can be replaced. I would delete the VVT garbage myself.
I would definitely like to delete VVT my only hang up is how long it takes to get a tune. No matter how fast I work to get the motor back together, I fear I will be stuck waiting for a tune file to delete the VVT.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,436 Likes on 1,063 Posts

schedule the tune then build the motor and dont be late!