Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Hello. Who has cammed their 8.1 w/a CC 270 or 264?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BetMinesFaster
270 is a nice cam. I wont look back. Truck snorts right off idle and pulls hard till 5k+

Valves are a bit noisey but tolerable.

Towing is better than ever with this cam. Converter locked in 5th and it will stay locked and no downshifts on moderate long grades with 9K behind you and still maintain speed.

The downer is i havent beaten 9 to the gallon since the install and retune, used to get 10.5-11 when on the highway, havent gotten better than 9 since the install

It is by the far the largest power gain I have personally experianced with doing the cam only.

As Kerr said, Comps supporting parts dont fit (push rods and adjustable conversion kit) So measure and order custom pushrods.

Thanks for popping in Faster. Great news about the power increase. And thanks for the mileage info. I was under the impression that the mileage was not affected that much (It was lousy and it was going to stay that way).
Old 04-15-2011, 08:39 AM
Down and out

Originally Posted by jmccart
Thanks for popping in Faster. Great news about the power increase. And thanks for the mileage info. I was under the impression that the mileage was not affected that much (It was lousy and it was going to stay that way).
Oh it is lousy. But in a CCSB when the tank is a 24-5 gallon and you lose 1.5-2 mpg that equates to 40-50 miles per tank!!!

My truck is HP tuned with a wideband and the AF ratios are deadly consistent between both cams and the initial tune and retune. So I dont believe that the tune was the cause of the mileage drop.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

Oh it is lousy. But in a CCSB when the tank is a 24-5 gallon and you lose 1.5-2 mpg that equates to 40-50 miles per tank!!!

My truck is HP tuned with a wideband and the AF ratios are deadly consistent between both cams and the initial tune and retune. So I dont believe that the tune was the cause of the mileage drop.

Thanx again. I am glad to have found another guy who has done a cam change in an 8.1 truck. I have Blackbear tune. After a cam I would like to do either do one of his dyno days or send away for the thing that collects info while you drive & then send it back.

You got me thinking of the 264 cam kind of again (mileage decrease). I would not do the smallest one because I have talked to 2 guys (dieselplace.com) that use them and would go bigger next time. They both say it dies after 3000.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Down and out

Originally Posted by jmccart
Thanx again. I am glad to have found another guy who has done a cam change in an 8.1 truck. I have Blackbear tune. After a cam I would like to do either do one of his dyno days or send away for the thing that collects info while you drive & then send it back.

You got me thinking of the 264 cam kind of again (mileage decrease). I would not do the smallest one because I have talked to 2 guys (dieselplace.com) that use them and would go bigger next time. They both say it dies after 3000.
DO the 270 and run it. The Raylar cams are supposed to make great power as well but you will spend ALOT of money on "required" supporting parts to go with it.

I did a chain, ARP studs, Comp lifters and XR270 cam and beehives, and a set of Comp roller tips. The power gain was well worth the money.

My truck does have Stainless Works 2" primary long tubes and 3" true duals (which was supposed to be good for 2+ MPG from relaible sources) which made no difference on mileage and minimal on power.

I suspect my power gains may have been amplified by the headers and exhaust that was already installed.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

DO the 270 and run it. The Raylar cams are supposed to make great power as well but you will spend ALOT of money on "required" supporting parts to go with it.

I did a chain, ARP studs, Comp lifters and XR270 cam and beehives, and a set of Comp roller tips. The power gain was well worth the money.

My truck does have Stainless Works 2" primary long tubes and 3" true duals (which was supposed to be good for 2+ MPG from relaible sources) which made no difference on mileage and minimal on power.

I suspect my power gains may have been amplified by the headers and exhaust that was already installed.

What ARP studs did you install, the rocker studs? I do have the Edelbrock mid-lengths and a nice magnaflow y-pipe to a single 3&1/2.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:12 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

There would be no reason for your a/f ratio's to be different as when in closed loop the PCM willconstantly look for 14.6:1 all of the time.

What could be different would be the a/f ratio when in PE mode. But of course fuel economy wouldnt be good if driving in PEmode(ie using heavy throttle)

peace
Hog
Old 05-04-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a set of those arp studs for sale 70 bux shipped.

I got a zz502 camshaft in mine

http://youtu.be/7Yqq9-hdvl4?hd=1
Old 10-12-2021, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Just curious, how much power did you make with that turbo 496?