Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Going to buy LB7 Dmax

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to buy LB7 Dmax

I have a few main questions
1) How much pwr/tq can a stock bottom end handle SAFELY

2) I'm going to finance about 110%, so will be left with around $3,000 for mods- what to do for most power?

3) I'm new to diesels, but have seen some pretty sick ones around, what kind of money would I have to invest to have a low 13-high 12 second truck?

4) I sorta like stacks, and have noticed a lot of the faster truck run them, is there actually any advantage to them?
Old 08-31-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bowtiered
I have a few main questions
1) How much pwr/tq can a stock bottom end handle SAFELY

2) I'm going to finance about 110%, so will be left with around $3,000 for mods- what to do for most power?

3) I'm new to diesels, but have seen some pretty sick ones around, what kind of money would I have to invest to have a low 13-high 12 second truck?

4) I sorta like stacks, and have noticed a lot of the faster truck run them, is there actually any advantage to them?
1 - There is no SAFE modded power, however the Duramax will be solid driven daily in the mid 400's. Once you cross 500 daily your wear cycles will increase. That being said, mine has been run at 500 plus daily driven horsepower for over three years with nary a problem and pushed up to 835 HP at the wheels at times. Be prepared to pay if you want to play though.

2 - Three grand would be enough to do a budget DIY Transgo and a converter trans upgrade and a good race program if you squeak out some good deals

3 - Getting a Duramax into the 12's will take a minimum of 5K if not closer to 7 or 8K to do it right

4 - Stacks are just for looks.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

which leaves me with question numero dos (or cinco really)- what does it take to get a DMax in the 12s?

and is the banks power pack really as worthless as i've seen some people say it is? it seems to make the most power out of all the kits sold.

i've read some about EFILive, i can't really figure out what it is, I went to the site and still can't figure it out, is it a program and OBDII connector for tuning via laptop or what?
Old 09-01-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

EFILive is a complete tuning software program that you use a laptop with to make the changes though a speical cable it comes with. It give you access to most all the tables in the PCM. Its way more then any handheld tuner, in my opinion the only way to tune a truck. You can make tune for what ever HP you want. It does have a pretty steep leaning curve, but it worth it once you figure it out. Check out http://dieselplace.com/forum/. There are several resellers on there, that will answer all your questions about it and even give some starter tunes to help get it figured out. If you want to know more about it, let me know, I use it to tune my turboed truck
Old 09-01-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bowtiered
which leaves me with question numero dos (or cinco really)- what does it take to get a DMax in the 12s?

and is the banks power pack really as worthless as i've seen some people say it is? it seems to make the most power out of all the kits sold.

i've read some about EFILive, i can't really figure out what it is, I went to the site and still can't figure it out, is it a program and OBDII connector for tuning via laptop or what?
It makes great power in their brochure and is guaranteed to suck the cash out of your wallet in 12 seconds but it sure as hell won't make your truck do 12's in the 1/4.

Don't waste your money on the Banks kit.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

so with 7k then, what mods should I perform to get to 12s?
Old 09-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Launching!

intake, 4" turbo back, custom tune of some sort, turbo actuator, maybe change waste gate, propane injection. I have a mag at the house that has a duramax with stock intake, stock exhaust w/ efi live or something and propane and it makes 800 rwhp and 1000 rwt,i think, don't quote me on it though. good luck, these trucks are really powerful, Allison is awesome, father had a 2002 and has a 2004, no problems at all. Awesome choice.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

You need a race trans build, an exhaust system, a custom race tune, a set of gauges, a good nitrous setup, a lift pump and some suspension mods to strengthen the front end when doing a boosted 4WD launch. That recipe when tweaked right will yield 12's.

Keep the propane on the grill, it is a recipe for disaster.