Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Estimate of cost to put duramax and Allison in Denali XL?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SBTork
HUMMER
The diesel/allison combo would be a great option for the Avalanche, Suburban, Yukon platform. That might just be a good thing for GM to do to get out of the slump. It would be very impressive to see a Denali with that combo.
According to GM a duramax wont fit in a hummer/danalli/avalanch, so when we finished ours for SEMA 2004 we took the head guys for GM for a ride and they were in awe. We never heard back from them on it though. As far to my knowledge we were the first to do one and now we are putting one in a avalanche.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

And actually, to be fair, and I should have stated this in the original thread, but I was wondering more along the lines of the cost of actually taking the stock engine, tranny etc out, and putting in perhaps a mildly used engine and trans from a wreck....

I would assume that could get into say a 2004 writeoff for about 8 to 10k? The key then would be labor beyond that.

Might have to talk to Campbell Automotive to see if they want another project vehicle......

D
Old 07-11-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by macs406
According to GM a duramax wont fit in a hummer/danalli/avalanch, so when we finished ours for SEMA 2004 we took the head guys for GM for a ride and they were in awe. We never heard back from them on it though. As far to my knowledge we were the first to do one and now we are putting one in a avalanche.
Wowser - please keep us posted on that. Too funny, you guys telling GM how their vehicle parts can work together. Major ball drop on their part!

D

p.s. you should keep after GM. Maybe they will warranty your conversions, like Ford does with Roush conversions....
Old 07-11-2006, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blowndenalixl
Wowser - please keep us posted on that. Too funny, you guys telling GM how their vehicle parts can work together. Major ball drop on their part!

D

p.s. you should keep after GM. Maybe they will warranty your conversions, like Ford does with Roush conversions....
GM doesnt want anything to do with it and thats to bad because diesels are the way to go IMO. When we converted the hummer it was a nightmare to get everything to work exspecially the wiring.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by macs406
GM doesnt want anything to do with it and thats to bad because diesels are the way to go IMO. When we converted the hummer it was a nightmare to get everything to work exspecially the wiring.
LOL - just phoned up a local Diesel shop to see if they have ever considered such a project and got the exact same answer. The guy did not want anything to do with it - coward! LOL.

But now of course since you guys have figured it out, you should be able to rule the world!
Old 07-11-2006, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blowndenalixl
LOL - just phoned up a local Diesel shop to see if they have ever considered such a project and got the exact same answer. The guy did not want anything to do with it - coward! LOL.

But now of course since you guys have figured it out, you should be able to rule the world!
Hey if you don't mind the drive we would love to do your project truck. I was thinking about doing a rcsb 2wd 6sp duramax LB7 street racer as a promotional vehicle since we are about done with the Regency. I know that it can be done for a reasonable price and it should fit pretty good as the avalanche comes in an available 3/4 ton with the 8100 big block. They are rare but they did produce them and I have seen a few of them. GM really did drop the ball on this idea. The H2 should have came with the dura/allisons combo instead of the 6.0L/4L60E as it is way under powered. And for everyone else, we will have the Dynojet installed and running in the next couple of weeks so I will keep you all posted.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Danville Performance
Hey if you don't mind the drive we would love to do your project truck. I was thinking about doing a rcsb 2wd 6sp duramax LB7 street racer as a promotional vehicle since we are about done with the Regency. I know that it can be done for a reasonable price and it should fit pretty good as the avalanche comes in an available 3/4 ton with the 8100 big block. They are rare but they did produce them and I have seen a few of them. GM really did drop the ball on this idea. The H2 should have came with the dura/allisons combo instead of the 6.0L/4L60E as it is way under powered. And for everyone else, we will have the Dynojet installed and running in the next couple of weeks so I will keep you all posted.
Unfortunately I have a Denali XL (Sub style), not an Avalanche.....or were you just thinking that since the Avalanche can accomodate an 8.1, that a Denali XL should be able to as well?

What do you think a fellow would be looking at to have this done? I assume you would use a "broken in" engine and tranny.....

D
Old 07-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Hey Blown. You are so screwed now. If you are anything like me, the moment I think I want or need something, I price it out. Then I say, too expensive and a few months later, guess what is in my garage. It never fails.

I hope you enjoy your new diesel!!

Oh, yeah. Why don't you just put the Banks twin turbo set up on it on the first conversion install. That way it will be less expensive when you add it down the road.

But seriously, good luck to ya!
Old 07-11-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by m7 rocket
Hey Blown. You are so screwed now. If you are anything like me, the moment I think I want or need something, I price it out. Then I say, too expensive and a few months later, guess what is in my garage. It never fails.

I hope you enjoy your new diesel!!

Oh, yeah. Why don't you just put the Banks twin turbo set up on it on the first conversion install. That way it will be less expensive when you add it down the road.

But seriously, good luck to ya!
I dunno M, how I could sneak the 10 to 20 g past the missus. I drove by the GM dealer today and the 2006's are on 0 financing for 5 years, and can get into 1 for about 1500 over dealer cost. Why the hell cannot GM get their head out of their rear and start building these damn things!

At any rate, 649 on Wednesday, Super 7 on Friday, lookout man! Or maybe will qualify for WSOP, skip holidays, win main event, and take home 10M!!!!

Oops, time to wakeup now and go to bed.............

But you are so so right - it really does suck to be obsessive compulsive
Old 07-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

BlownDenaliXL has way too much money. He lives across the street from my place and makes my side of the street look like walfare

Quick Reply: Estimate of cost to put duramax and Allison in Denali XL?