Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

cooling problem with my 02 Duramax... blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling problem with my 02 Duramax... blown head gasket?

Hey guys, my 02 duramax is acting crazy. I have replaced the cap and replaced the thermostats. The started when the truck was running one day while it was hot out and i looked over and is was spewing coolant out of the overflow like crazy. The temps were fine so let it cool and topped it back off. After a few days the low coolant light came on and i checked and sure enough it was low again so i filled it back up. I have been doing this for about 3 weeks now and its driving me crazy.

I did have a new water pump installed about a month prior but it isnt leaking, so where the hell is all my coolant going? I havent seen it spew out anymore But i am adding water alot more often now. It is worse when im towing, and i smell antifreeze all the time now. Could it be a blown head gasket? thanks guys.. oh as far as mods it has a PPE programer , exhaust , and cold air.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silverbeast
Hey guys, my 02 duramax is acting crazy. I have replaced the cap and replaced the thermostats. The started when the truck was running one day while it was hot out and i looked over and is was spewing coolant out of the overflow like crazy. The temps were fine so let it cool and topped it back off. After a few days the low coolant light came on and i checked and sure enough it was low again so i filled it back up. I have been doing this for about 3 weeks now and its driving me crazy.

I did have a new water pump installed about a month prior but it isnt leaking, so where the hell is all my coolant going? I havent seen it spew out anymore But i am adding water alot more often now. It is worse when im towing, and i smell antifreeze all the time now. Could it be a blown head gasket? thanks guys.. oh as far as mods it has a PPE programer , exhaust , and cold air.

Have you checked the oil once. Make sure there is no milkshake going on.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes, the oil looks fine as far as i can tell. I dont know where the hell its going.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are the egt's and is the exhaust tip/s clean now compared to normal?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

the exhaust tips are the same as always and im not sure how to check the egt's.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I took the programer off of it today and drove it to town just to seee if it helped and it is the same if not worse. It was full before i left and 10 miles down the road the low coolant light came on. When i get to town i look at the reservoir and it is empty, so i crack the cap and release the pressure and the reservoir fills back up. What the hell is going on with this truck, i dont even want to drive it because im worried it will leave me stranded.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

does it smoke white or have a sweet smell to the exhaust ?
Old 08-16-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

the exhaust looks and smells the same as always. i havent noticed anything different.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

So is it actually overheating or are you just losing coolant? Have you check all the hoses for leaks? Is the radiator leaking? If the truck has a built in tranny cooler in the radiator, try checking the tranny fluid dipstick and see if it smells like antifreeze. Also check to see if your heater core is leaking. Does your windshield fog up any? It doesn't really sound like you've got a blown head gasket IMO.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Do you smell coolant in the truck? Heater core maybe?

Mike

Quick Reply: cooling problem with my 02 Duramax... blown head gasket?