Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

8.1L StainlessWorks Headers are ordered!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 05:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks man. Its a broken link, but i think i found the page(s) you were refering to. Well, if its possible to be more confused than I was originally....then I am . Is it more than just engine horsepower that dictates what diameter pipe to use? I figure I am somewhere around 525hp at the crank and according to the exhaust calculators I should be running dual 3's or a single 3.75". I dont know how much the supercharger adds to the equation either. I REALLY want to get this right the first time and dont want to just "GO BIG" on the pipes and lose any precious power.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
Thanks man. Its a broken link, but i think i found the page(s) you were refering to. Well, if its possible to be more confused than I was originally....then I am . Is it more than just engine horsepower that dictates what diameter pipe to use? I figure I am somewhere around 525hp at the crank and according to the exhaust calculators I should be running dual 3's or a single 3.75". I dont know how much the supercharger adds to the equation either. I REALLY want to get this right the first time and dont want to just "GO BIG" on the pipes and lose any precious power.

Whats the worst thing that could hapen if you opted on the smaller side? You lose a little top end and have a stronger bottom end, which is a good thing for a big heavy truck IMO, at least on the street.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CaptCameltoe
Whats the worst thing that could hapen if you opted on the smaller side? You lose a little top end and have a stronger bottom end, which is a good thing for a big heavy truck IMO, at least on the street.
Good call, and I agree. I think I am going to go with twin 3" all the way back. I can reuse my CATs that way and use the dual in/dual out X-muffler as well. Jury is still out on the E-cutouts though.....may pass on those for now.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Just got word that they will need to be built to order. No 8.1L headers on the shelf....go figure. Should be shipping out on or around Feb 9th.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah yeah...I know.....to many questions.

Was just thinking today, about something. Wondering if i would be better off with an X-pipe like this....

then going true duals into 2 seperate mufflers? Or if I would be better with going into "one" X-pipe muffler where the X-pipe was actually inside the muffler? Also, should I be trying to get the CATs as close to the headers as possible and should the X-pipe be before the CATs or after?
Old 01-30-2009, 07:01 PM
12 Second Truck Club

everyone says the x is the way to go... if you want some real deal pieces (serious prices to go along with them), check out Burns Stainless, they'll have anything you need for exhaust piping.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was always told to go a little bigger exhaust on FI engines. Point was the blower/turbo would make up for power that would be lost down low. Also for any given RPM an FI engine will be moving more air through it than an N/A would.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BigCountryx
everyone says the x is the way to go... if you want some real deal pieces (serious prices to go along with them), check out Burns Stainless, they'll have anything you need for exhaust piping.

WOW!! yeah, I would say $500 for an X-pipe is a little excessive..LOL. Looked like nice stuff, but a little steep in the $$ department.

Originally Posted by TieRod
I was always told to go a little bigger exhaust on FI engines. Point was the blower/turbo would make up for power that would be lost down low. Also for any given RPM an FI engine will be moving more air through it than an N/A would.
You dont think dual 3's is enough? The issue is the most i would ever be putting out is 6psi give or take a pound.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

You might check with Dynatech Headers. They make all kinds of exhaust parts and I am sure their "X" pipe is much less expensive than the one you were looking at. I believe you are on the right track with your exhaust. Keep us posted as you move forward. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:59 AM
TECH Addict

From what I remember, try and keep the X-pipe as close to the headers as practical.

I think moregrip did a little write-up on the subject.

Quick Reply: 8.1L StainlessWorks Headers are ordered!!!