Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

8.1L StainlessWorks Headers are ordered!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get one of those nice big single diesel exhaust setups and start there. I am going to run a catless 3" single in dual 2.25 out borla setup on my naturally aspirated and very mild 8.0 V10 motor in my 1/2 ton. If I were to run boost on it at all though I would want to go to at least a single 4". I mean the systems are already out there and pre made for these trucks, why not make it easy on yourself?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whippled496, I think your gonna be pretty pleased with the way these headers fit. Mine arent on the truck yet but i did bolt them up to check clearances before I had them coated. They slipped right in...maybe someday Ill put my truck back together and put them on lol....i got pics of them bolted up if you want...ill just have to email them to ya cause i need to get a better program on my computer to reformat the pics.

Alex
Old 01-27-2009, 04:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02_2500avalanche
Whippled496, I think your gonna be pretty pleased with the way these headers fit. Mine arent on the truck yet but i did bolt them up to check clearances before I had them coated. They slipped right in...maybe someday Ill put my truck back together and put them on lol....i got pics of them bolted up if you want...ill just have to email them to ya cause i need to get a better program on my computer to reformat the pics.

Alex
Hell yeah....shoot them over to me @ gable74@hotmail.com

I am guessing you came up from the bottom on both sides? How was the clearance on the steering shaft? What gaskets and bolts are you going with?
Old 01-27-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Any suggestions for header gaskets. Billy from SW said to use RED RTV and the old gaskets if they were in good shape. I would like to put some new ones on there but dont see anything listed from fel-pro's site...or anyone else's for that matter. Stupid big block.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

I used my old gaskets dry, and new bolts. It's been over a year with no leaks.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

Are you going to put the fuel pump on and see how it runs first so you'll know what improvements the headers make?
Old 01-27-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Are you going to put the fuel pump on and see how it runs first so you'll know what improvements the headers make?
Yes, I will be installing the fuel pump very soon. I am just holding out for a nice weekend. I have the harness and relay all made up and ready to install. Should be a pretty painless setup if all goes okay.

I am really starting to wonder about the exhaust though. 4" all the way sounds like a pretty sick idea and "should" be a little less expensive for the muffler shop to install I would think. Are there benefits of 4" pipes over dual 3's? I guess i would need to find a 4" CAT as well as I dont want to go cat-less. Really just trying to decide what pipe selection will net me the best results with my current setup.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

4"? Do 5"! LOL
We did Diamond Eye 4" without cat on my buddy 98' z71. Man that thing is loud!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TieRod
4"? Do 5"! LOL
We did Diamond Eye 4" without cat on my buddy 98' z71. Man that thing is loud!

LOL, i dont want to be heard that badly....

I am just worried about losing some bottom end with that much flow. How much pipe is too much?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like you have a pretty nice project going! Here is an article on another post that has a great deal of information that you might find useful.
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...exh/index.html
Just remember, one of the biggest mistakes that can be made is to have your exhaust "too big". I would think that dual 3" exhaust would be more than enough for your setup. Since you are going to run cats, I would consider Random Technologies. They have a great reputation. When it comes to cats, cheaper is usually not better. Good luck and nice pictures!

Quick Reply: 8.1L StainlessWorks Headers are ordered!!!