Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

8.1 top end.. Anyone ever done this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't waste your money on the dart intake. It will kill any low end power. Stock intakes can be modified easily enough to flow much better. There are a couple threads on here about it. Long tube headers are also a must. Bottom line tho if you wanna play with BB open your wallet, if its gen7 stuff open it wide.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Ok didn't really know if it would kill it or not I couldn't find any info on it.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

As far as cams go that zz502 cam sounds super wicked and it's decent priced does it have decent power or is it a turd down low..
Old 09-20-2015, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lsxperformance
Been thinking about getting either raylar Bp heads or dart iron heads, using the dart dual plane intake and installing bungs and building rails for efi running an elbow with a 90mm and running a 76mm turbo.. Thoughts? Will it kill bottom end torque or will it make decent torque
They said basically do a 540in motor build.. I guess really I just need to figure out what I want to put into the truck I get .. The stage 2 truck package they offer is almost 6grand. I just felt the gains from that although a broad torque curve I'd be looking around 400 wheel. I really wanted a 500+ wheel tow rig without diesel maintenence costs. After some of my own research this is what I found..
Dart machinery makes Cast Iron heads that flow near the amount of air flow as the big power raylar heads, so it's an option.. They also have a carb style dual plane manifold. It looks like that would be quite easy to weld bosses into and I can make my own rails like we do on the LS stuff and run a elbow with a 90mm throttle body. Guys keep saying how bad the oe manifold is. It would help I'm sure, at a price similar to porting the stock piece. Or so it would seem. Also run a real mild cam haven't decided whether I should dabble in that yet. I have zero experience in this platform at all. I guess I just want a little more bang for my buck. I can get pretty crafty for 6 grand for top end prices. Not knocking the packages they have developed by any means guess I just felt with a nearly 500" motor getting it to perform wouldn't be so hard. I also I'm sure like several guys would have thought standard bbc heads would transfer over. Not that the design of the heads of the aftermarket are bad, it woulda opened the door to several more avenues of *** kickery.
The 540cid kit is the best towing oriented performance option available for the 8.1L engine. If you want boringly stock like driveable (similar driving characteristics to a LS2 with a 212/218) the 540cid with a 205 cam and heads is VERY hard to beat.

Traditional BBC heads don't work on the GEN7 block, different head bolt pattern. Our cylinder heads and Dart's will both do the job, though ours don't weigh 80lbs each like the Dart heads do.

The stock manifold is awful. It pumps heat into the intake charge and necks down to a roughly 55mm opening past the throttle body. You can pick up a modified manifold from us, or cut it up yourself if you have lots of time and experience with welding up aluminum. With a modified stock manifold you'll pick up power everywhere in the power band.

The Dart carb manifold is good, but it is a short runner design (or at least shorter runners than the stock manifold) so with a wide lobe separation the motor will drop a bit of torque. You'll want to run a tigher LSA to bring the torque back if you go that route. If you do decide to run the dual plane manifold, Dart has an optional model which comes ready for injectors.

The single 76mm turbo will work fine, but you'll be limited to 4-6lbs of boost before you start breaking those cast pistons.

As far as cams go that zz502 cam sounds super wicked and it's decent priced does it have decent power or is it a turd down low..
ED (the sideways silver truck in our intro) is running our heads with a ZZ502 cam. It's probably a better solution if you're going to run the carb manifold as its a bit tighter on the LSA. You'll have to switch the coils around to match the firing order, but they run fine in a GEN7 even with the longer piston dwell time. The ZZ502 is about as big as you can go on stock pistons.