Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

2006 "LLY" or Gen4 Cummins??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 09:55 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

Also I didn't want to be the one to tell you this, But Dodge's are the worst at corrosion protection. Look in any rust state or north of the border and you will find they rust out faster than both the Fords and the Chevy's.

If you really want a nice one to start with, you may need to look in another state. Then do whatever you can to preserve it. There are lots of products out there. some are better than others at keeping the corrosion away.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:28 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
Find a truck within a few hours of Orlando and I'll go check it out and drive it for you! give it the ole Florida test

But for real I will go check one out if you find one within a few hours.
thanks man.
Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Also I didn't want to be the one to tell you this, But Dodge's are the worst at corrosion protection. Look in any rust state or north of the border and you will find they rust out faster than both the Fords and the Chevy's.

If you really want a nice one to start with, you may need to look in another state. Then do whatever you can to preserve it. There are lots of products out there. some are better than others at keeping the corrosion away.
i actually didn't know that... hadn't really looked that hard at anything but GMs until now. thanks.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:47 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by _zebra
thanks man.

i actually didn't know that... hadn't really looked that hard at anything but GMs until now. thanks.
It's something I have noticed Traveling for work.

In California, usually the paint goes to crap first and foremost.

So while a GMT800 would still be clean here, Go up into Canada and if it's even still roadworthy there is not much you would want to salvage on it.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

It's something I have noticed Traveling for work.

In California, usually the paint goes to crap first and foremost.

So while a GMT800 would still be clean here, Go up into Canada and if it's even still roadworthy there is not much you would want to salvage on it.
Only true for the eastern part much like the US. The western provinces trucks are not really rotten. Trucks just get lots of miles, become worthless and go to the you pull it yards when something major breaks.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:54 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
Only true for the eastern part much like the US. The western provinces trucks are not really rotten. Trucks just get lots of miles, become worthless and go to the you pull it yards when something major breaks.
Last time I checked, Alberta was still on the Western Side.

I have seen some rusty trucks up in Edmonton...

Now in Manitoba it's definitely worse. Have a customer in the winnipeg area.

Last edited by 1FastBrick; 05-14-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

South Dakota has some serious rust issues that's neither East nor West.
The following users liked this post:
arthursc2 (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Last time I checked, Alberta was still on the Western Side.

I have seen some rusty trucks up in Edmonton...

Now in Manitoba it's definitely worse. Have a customer in the winnipeg area.
You have to define rust... The idea of rust with guys on this site is trucks going to scrap because they are so rotten you can't drive them anymore. Alberta doesn't really have that issue... like I said...junk goes to the you pull it yards when its miled out and something failed. Go further east and the frame has rotted out from under the truck and its scrap metal. It's just the climate and what kind of ice control they have. It's not constant salt here because it's cold enough a lot of the time its ineffective anyway.

I own a rusty truck too lol... still has a frame under it and still is structurally sound at 15 years old and over 200000 miles of use that is abuse.

Yeah desert metal would be nice but I have zero interest in living in that lol. Southern parts of the province.... saskatchewan and bc have lots of nice metal and it's not hard to come across.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 05-14-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:30 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
You have to define rust... The idea of rust with guys on this site is trucks going to scrap because they are so rotten you can't drive them anymore. Alberta doesn't really have that issue... like I said...junk goes to the you pull it yards when its miled out and something failed. Go further east and the frame has rotted out from under the truck and its scrap metal. It's just the climate and what kind of ice control they have. It's not constant salt here because it's cold enough a lot of the time its ineffective anyway.

I own a rusty truck too..oooo... lol... still has a frame under it and still is structurally sound at 15 years old and over 200000 miles of use that is abuse.

Yeah desert metal would be nice but I have zero interest in living in that lol.
I am taking heavy rust/ rot, Like the lower half of the outer door completely gone at least 2-3 inches up from where the edge is supposed to be. The bumper rusted through. Now maybe they weren't always in that province the whole time but I have seen some rusty diesel trucks and they had Alberta plates on them.

And the Dodges had the most Rust/ Rot on them.

And I have been up there when it's -40 too... It's brutal when you don't have the right gear for it. It cuts right through your clothes.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

+40* is bad enough! Theres no way you can wear flip flops in -40*.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:36 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
+40* is bad enough! Theres no way you can wear flip flops in -40*.
Boots and 2 pairs of regular socks don't help either...

Quick Reply: 2006 "LLY" or Gen4 Cummins??