Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

9.5" 14-Bolt 5-Link Rear Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 9.5" 14-Bolt 5-Link Rear Swap

This thread is a spin off of my 01 Yukon 383/122HH upgrade thread HERE, in which I was trying to find where my missing "power" is. After breaking the Auburn Pro series LSD in my 10-bolt while getting in my "baseline" track runs, I had to decide what to do...rebuild the 10-bolt AGAIN with a beefier components (Detroit Locker or Eaton TrueTrac, alloy axles, 1350 yoke, etc) or upgrade to a 14-bolt. I've included the posts from the other thread that helped me to decide to go with the 9.5" 14-bolt. As you can read from the posts, "rumor" has it that the 9.5" 14-bolt from certain years of Avalanches, Suburbans and Escalades will "bolt right in". I found a "good deal" on such a rearend out of a 2008 Escalade ESV with only twenty miles on it at a salvage yard in Oklahoma City and it should ship out tomorrow. This thread will chronicle the swap with my installation...I will detail everything that is "outside" of a straight bolt-in. Although I'm hopeful that it will be a bolt up and go, I'm sure that whatever the experience it could help others that want to do the same.

Originally Posted by zippy
It is a little bit clunky. You have to kinda get used to it. If you change how you drive just a bit you won't even notice it much. I went with that because they are pretty much the strongest thing you can get without going to a solid spool. Because of me alot of my friends have used them also. We had one in a friends 99' Tahoe and it was great. The downside is when you feed it throttle if you are turning just slightly. The rear end tries to steEr the truck. I think that one had more problems because the bushings in the leaf springs were getting worn. The Tru-Trac drives alot better and is almost as strong, but the Detroit Locker is stronger and if mostly what you do with the truck is run it hard it's worth considering. Either one along with a girdle cover would be a good choice. If you haven't had the Auburn long you may be able to get one on the trade in program fairly cheap. If you are planning to go alot bigger on power yet you may want to eventually shop around for a 14 bolt 9.5" from an Avalanche/Suburban. The new body style trucks use them for the versions with the L76/Vortec Max type option and they should be a direct bolt in.
Originally Posted by GoatChs
Thank you very much...I had never seen car-part.com before.

And those have a "compatible" 5-link, coil spring suspension with 6x5.5 lug pattern? I wonder if it has any issues with the ABS...

Amazing...I will call them in the morning.
Originally Posted by supersub
Should be a direct fit. I have been searching constantly for one closer.As far as the rear abs i was not planning to plug in the rear sensors.the ones listed locally for me have not been actual 14 bolt rears so confirm with pic's and vin break down...Ray
It is a little bit clunky. You have to kinda get used to it. If you change how you drive just a bit you won't even notice it much. I went with that because they are pretty much the strongest thing you can get without going to a solid spool. Because of me alot of my friends have used them also. We had one in a friends 99' Tahoe and it was great. The downside is when you feed it throttle if you are turning just slightly. The rear end tries to steEr the truck. I think that one had more problems because the bushings in the leaf springs were getting worn. The Tru-Trac drives alot better and is almost as strong, but the Detroit Locker is stronger and if mostly what you do with the truck is run it hard it's worth considering. Either one along with a girdle cover would be a good choice. If you haven't had the Auburn long you may be able to get one on the trade in program fairly cheap. If you are planning to go alot bigger on power yet you may want to eventually shop around for a 14 bolt 9.5" from an Avalanche/Suburban. The new body style trucks use them for the versions with the L76/Vortec Max type option and they should be a direct bolt in. Your truck looks great, is it lowered any?
As my wife does drive it on occasion, I don't want alot of odd noises and "pushing" that the Detroit would most likely give it...guess I'll aim for the TrueTrac then. I'll also do a quick search for the 14-bolt, but unfortunately I need to get the Yukon back up and running asap...have any specific thoughts on where to look (big salvage yards, etc.)?
Just checked car-part.com,select 07 escalade esv, rear axle,gt5 option,usa,one pops up in raito Ca...
Originally Posted by DrX
My 14 bolt SF is finally done. The 5-Link bracketry was custom fabricated to match the factory AV setup.

The full floating 14 bolt is a 10.5" differential and only came in the 2500 series models. These had leaf springs. The 9.5" semi floaters rarely ever have any problems and are available from a 1500 series which had the factory 5 link system. The rpo you need is AXN.
Excellent work! But far from my abilities/resources...I'll definitely have to buy my way into a 14-bolt.
Originally Posted by DrX
Actually, Bryan(axisT6) put this together for me along with the fab work by Mark of ceoffroad dot com Costwise it ends up pretty close doing it either way.

Still would like to see someone bolt-in a factory built 5-link 9 1/2" though. This should become easier to do as more used units become available over time.
Here's an example of a truck with the diff in discussion. It has the 9.5" 14 bolt SF with 4.10 gear and Gov-Lock.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...mZ150293786082
Originally Posted by DrX
Yeah, looks like the available ratios changed along with the introduction of the 6 speed.

2009 ordering info now shows only 2 available axle ratios 3.08(standard) and 3.42 which is either available or standard on L76 models dependent on whether the truck is 2WD or 4WD.
Originally Posted by leftcoast32
Make sure you dont get an SSR or TBSS 14 bolt because the wheel pattern is different from the rest of the trucks.
I'm going to get a 9.5" 14-bolt from a 2008 Escalade ESV. Want a GT5 rear but they are hard to find...the GU6 rears are much more prolific and affordable.
Did you call on the one i told you about?? it had the gt5 option listed.

Ray
Sure did, and received the VIN. Checked the VIN with the dealer...was informed that it was from a 5.3L Suburban and not a 9.5" 14-bolt rear. So I did a search for GU6 3.42 and found I could get one from a Cad Escalade ESV with only 20 miles on it for $1325 delivered to my door--that is a brand new rear. I'm continuing to look for a GT5 until I confirm with this salvage if that includes brakes/lines, panhard, etc.

ANYONE CONFIRMED IF THE PANHARD ROD IS A DIFFERENT SHAPE TO FIT AROUND THE DIFF COVER?
I just got some pictures. They are on my cell phone so I'll have to wait to get home to post them. The panhard bar is the same part number as the normal one's and it clears the diff just fine. At least 1/4" to 3/8" of clearance in there. LOL. The picture should show that.
Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
Not sure what you broke back there, but why dont you save time and cost and put a good posi unit back there. Do a standard eaton with a 800lb kit in it. You will never break that. Its stronger than the true trak. R
Originally Posted by Last Call
I can almost guarentee you that he will break the 10 bolt. I went through 2 Eatons and a Yukon Posi before I upgraded to the 14 bolt. I cracked the case on the Eaton. That was with a girdle as well. There is just too much flex in the housing. It is kind of like a 4l60/65/70e. In heavy applications with over 500rwhp, they are time bombs.

Last edited by GoatChs; 09-15-2008 at 10:28 PM. Reason: formatted pics to fit page :-)
Old 09-15-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
Not sure what you broke back there, but why dont you save time and cost and put a good posi unit back there. Do a standard eaton with a 800lb kit in it. You will never break that. Its stronger than the true trak. R
Rick, I'm not sure what went either. I was on the starting line, stalling it up to 2100 and as soon as I let off the brake and laid on the gas it made a quiet clunk (at least it seemed quiet inside of the Yukon with a helmet on) never even started to move forward. As the rpm dropped I could hear the driveshaft turning so I figured it was a u-joint. I waved to the "officials" and they pushed me back. Once off the stage I tried it in drive again and one of my buddies said he could see the driveshaft turning, but it was still connected to the rearend. I put it in reverse and it started to back up, so I backed it all the way to the pits. But that was all it would do...once I tried to go in reverse again it "clunked" in the differential but no movement forward or reverse. Looking at this pic of the Auburn Pro Series LSD, maybe the side or pinion gear(s) broke...not sure what would cause no engagement.

In any event, I don't want the "characteristics" of a Detroit Locker, and have read on the forum that a couple guys have broken the TrueTrac. I can honestly say that I have not heard of what you have recommended...are you referencing the "standard" eaton GM posi (Gov-Loc) or "standard" Eaton LSD posi? I'm sure there are others that are interested in upgrading just the center section.

Last edited by GoatChs; 09-15-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some pic's from my cell phone. Had one of these on the hoist today at work.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:07 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Colby I moved this thread to the GM drivetrain section for ya and formatted your pics so they fit on one screen

who's broken a TruTrac? I've not seen one break and I hope I never do

Last edited by trever1t; 09-15-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trever1t
Colby I moved this thread to the GM drivetrain section for ya and formatted your pics so they fit on one screen

who's broken a TruTrac? I've not seen one break and I hope I never do
Thanks Bill...yeah, those pics are okay on a 22" wide screen but not so much otherwise! I don't recall where I read that...I just did a search and couldn't find anything.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default U-Joint?

Some pic's from my cell phone. Had one of these on the hoist today at work.
Nice Zippy...one less thing to worry about!

I was looking at Randy's Ring & Pinion website and noted that there were many different u-joints available. It got me to wondering if the rear u-joint for my 10-bolt is compatible with the 14-bolt or if I need a hybrid/adapter u-joint? Either way I plan to install a new one but just wonder which one to buy?

EDIT: Found my answer in a GMB product catalog HERE...it shows two different part numbers for the Yukon and Avalanche 6.0L (2500 series):

Yukon
Std: 210-3105
Perf: 215-3105

Avalanche
Std: 210-0178
Perf: 215-0178

Guess I'll either need to have my driveshaft modified or get an adaptor u-joint.

Last edited by GoatChs; 09-15-2008 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Found U-joint info
Old 09-15-2008, 10:45 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard the same rumor but truth is, nothing is indestructable. I would not be surprised if one or two failed but considering how popular the unit is and with so many making decent hp/tq I am comfortable with it.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:21 AM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice Zippy...one less thing to worry about!

I was looking at Randy's Ring & Pinion website and noted that there were many different u-joints available. It got me to wondering if the rear u-joint for my 10-bolt is compatible with the 14-bolt or if I need a hybrid/adapter u-joint? Either way I plan to install a new one but just wonder which one to buy?

EDIT: Found my answer in a GMB product catalog HERE...it shows two different part numbers for the Yukon and Avalanche 6.0L (2500 series):

Yukon
Std: 210-3105
Perf: 215-3105

Avalanche
Std: 210-0178
Perf: 215-0178

Guess I'll either need to have my driveshaft modified or get an adaptor u-joint.
I have a hybrid joint on mine that converts the yolk of the rear (1350) to the driveshaft which I think is a 1320.

I believe it is best to remove the driveshaft and have a 1350 yolk welded to the driveshaft and have it high speed balanced.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Last Call
I have a hybrid joint on mine that converts the yolk of the rear (1350) to the driveshaft which I think is a 1320.

I believe it is best to remove the driveshaft and have a 1350 yolk welded to the driveshaft and have it high speed balanced.
I had mine high speed balanced and added a DS loop after reading THIS...figured money well spent if it would protect my FLT transmission. And I agree with the modding the driveshaft being the best alternative, but am also thinking that my FLT Lvl 4 4l60e will likely be the next fatality...and if (when?) that happens I will go with a 4l80e and need to mod the DS again.

So, maybe go with the adaptor u-joint now and a custom Inland Empire 3" aluminum DS with 1350 yokes/u-joints on both ends when I need the 4L80? Also, good info regarding the 1350/1320 adaptor..I'll check into that further to confirm for this thread.

Last edited by GoatChs; 09-16-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 09-16-2008, 03:28 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I had mine high speed balanced and added a DS loop after reading THIS...figured money well spent if it would protect my FLT transmission. And I agree with the modding the driveshaft being the best alternative, but am also thinking that my FLT Lvl 4 4l60e will likely be the next fatality...and if (when?) that happens I will go with a 4l80e and need to mod the DS again.

So, maybe go with the adaptor u-joint now and a custom Inland Empire 3" aluminum DS with 1350 yokes/u-joints on both ends when I need the 4L80? Also, good info regarding the 1350/1320 adaptor..I'll check into that further to confirm for this thread.
Also, be sure to get a sealed solid u-joint. Do not get a greasable u-joint because they are hollow in the inside.

Name:  IMG_2620.jpg
Views: 3424
Size:  45.5 KB

Quick Reply: 9.5" 14-Bolt 5-Link Rear Swap