Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Air Conditioner comes on by itself 2007 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioner comes on by itself 2007 Silverado

new to the forum...but I bought a 2007 Silverado Z71 with all the bells and whistles....
Has been the truck that we needed as we fish a lot...
Last Sunday we had some storms hit and as I was driving home I hit a big puddle of water...shortly after that the AC went on full blast...my dial was set on 2 (I have the regular style with the *****) I was able to turn the **** from 2-5 and shut it off.....a few miles later it kick on again...
I was able to make it home with it only doing it twice....
during the week the wife said it did it too her a couple of times...
Friday on the way back to the lake it did it again....only it wouldn't shut off even after I turned the truck off...the wife said it did that to her but it shut off shortly after turning the truck off...
Saturday morning the battery was dead....
after a quick charge, the truck ran fine all day...it did come one at full blast so I turned the AC on and turn the controls to both defrost and feet
it shut down shortly after....
Sunday morning the battery was dead
We came home after the battery was charged and the ride home was uneventful....praying the battery will be fine tomorrow....
any suggestions....Thanks
Old 06-15-2015, 05:49 PM

IF I posted this in the wrong section....please let me know...I am new to the forum
Old 06-16-2015, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You likely sucked water down into the blower cage via the cowl intake and toasted the blower resistor. The resistor should be right next to the blower motor in the passenger footwell.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the response....funny that we haven't had any issues with it the last 3 days since I had to recharge the battery on Sunday morning...but at least now I have something to check....again thanks..
Old 06-22-2015, 06:54 AM

spoke too soon....
shut the truck off and the A/C kicked on after I got out of the truck...as I walked around it I heard it on....opened the passenger side door and smoke was coming out from under the glove box.....I went too the driver side to pull fuses when it stopped...
I started the truck up and now I have NO 1-4 on the climate control ****...the system will only work on #5
I am guessing that I will have too replace the climate control Module that I assume is under the dash through the glove box...(2002 trailblazer I had too do that)
I will also be replacing the resistor as well since Suburbzine suggested....I would guess there is no way of testing the resistor...
Old 06-22-2015, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Smoke would be the resistor and surrounding plastic melting. The control head will fail only rarely, it is integrated with the controls up on the dash. The resistor is controlled via a single wire using PWM to command speeds, so the resistor burning up wouldn't usually take out the control module.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:36 AM

thanks again for the response.....got almost the same exact response on the Chevy Truck Forum for Siverados/Sierras.... I was told that its possible I could get it fixed free due to a recall so hopefully that is the case....not much of a gear head, I usually go to Utube for my repairs....
Old 06-25-2015, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, some of the trucks got an updated resistor and harness. I only remember this because I remember PWM being on the purple wire, lol.