Site Suggestions Site Suggestions & Comments

Organize the For Sale Section

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I AM the moderator for the classifieds

The classifieds is already broken up by make. I just don't see it happening. Tech has 50x the classified traffic that we do and the same layout works fine for them. Personally I don't like the template you have to fill out over there because sometimes its glitchy and doesn't like the info you input into it.

There just isn't the moderation staff to keep track of that. If someone has an item you're interested in then request pictures or more of them. At some point some of the responsibility has to be put on the buyer. We do well to make sure people post prices in their threads. Adding moderation staff could help for a little while but we always end up back where we are now. Everyone is gung-ho about being a moderator and do their job for a while then taper off and get complacent.

The classifieds have worked fine the way they are for over a decade now. That's not to say you can't improve on things but at this point it would require a lot more effort for relatively little gain.

If you want pics ask for them. If you're looking for something in particular use the search. If a listing is incomplete hit the report post button and I'll take care of it.
Thanks for the response.

Some additional comments from me (per my bolded text in the quote):
-So essentially, your saying lazy moderators are to blame and the laziness is tolerated?
-Numerous forums I've been on (for different vehicle platforms) have had organized FS sections (as I described in the OP). Those categories make it way easier to figure out what you want or what is out there (Buyer/seller/moderator included). Additionally, how are you aware of the potential gains based on efforts to make organized FS sections. (Really, how hard could it be?). And why wouldn't a 10 yr old format need updated?
-Pictures need to be mandatory (w/ date of picture, username, and site name). It will make for fewer buyer/seller issues and make the forum itself more reputable.
-Not all people on the forum are as savy as other users and this site should be as user friendly as possible. So, when you say use a "search" or "hit a button"... users may not know what that is referring to (if they even got to that point to ask)

Bottom line... increased effeciency in the For Sale section is a win for everyone
Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by senge z71
Thanks for the response.

-So essentially, your saying lazy moderators are to blame and the laziness is tolerated?
-Numerous forums I've been on (for different vehicle platforms) have had organized FS sections (as I described in the OP). Those categories make it way easier to figure out what you want or what is out there (Buyer/seller/moderator included). Additionally, how are you aware of the potential gains based on efforts to make organized FS sections. (Really, how hard could it be?). And why wouldn't a 10 yr old format need updated?
-Pictures need to be mandatory (w/ date of picture, username, and site name). It will make for fewer buyer/seller issues and make the forum itself more reputable.
-Not all people on the forum are as savy as other users and this site should be as user friendly as possible. So, when you say use a "search" or "hit a button"... users may not know what that is referring to (if they even got to that point to ask)

Bottom line... increased effeciency in the For Sale section is a win for everyone
If you come on a forum and don't understand what the button labeled "search" means then I don't think organizing a FS section down to the part level is going to help that individual. I do agree with slow and that at some point it needs to be put back on the buyer. Like I mentioned above my little pet peeve is about no one posting pictures but it just gets to me cause I am a picture ***** and usually have 20 pictures of the same thing. I don't think it's lazy moderators, personally I don't ever see spam here and most people stay in line and rarely do I see mods having to break up a tussle or argument which is a lot more than I can say about many other forums I frequent. ..

I have seen and do like your idea about a sign with a date and name and all that in front of what is being sold but that is a huge pita and if someone is that worried about the item and they want that extra "safety" feeling they could request that. I don't think any seller if serious about selling an item would argue to much if someone asked for that. Guess it depends what is being sold also though.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ak2007r6
Sounds good. Wasn't trying to come across as bitching I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine and someone not posting pictures I will live though

Sent ya a PM also..
Got the PM I'll reply here in a bit. Gotta actually get to work after I respond to this.

If someone is serious about selling something as everyone knows pictures help a ton. I too try to always post pictures of what I'm peddling.
Originally Posted by brewster240
I like it the way it is. Location in thread title would be nice though.

Just don't make them the way they are on ls1tech, its so annoying to navigate.
Location would be nice, I like those tag prefixes that I've seen on other forums. See below for more elaboration on the vbulletin software.
Originally Posted by kbracing96
You get on Tech classifieds much??? There's is completely different then ours!

But I think ours is fine as it.
Just meant that its in list form, not all the other add-ons and annoying stuff they've got over there. The search button for their classifieds is also a pita to navigate too.
Originally Posted by senge z71
Thanks for the response.

I'll try and answer your concerns as best I can from my phone so bare with me.

On the subject of moderators, we simply can't just keep kicking "old" ones out and bring new ones in otherwise there would be a huge rift in the site as in general most of our moderators are tenured members who add to the site. Some guys get busy at certain parts of the year and its not right to can them simply because of life.

You haven't been here very long and I think you will find this site runs much smoother than 99% of the forums on the internet. The formula works, in general we have good members and we have a good core staff who care about the well-being of the site.

I owned a duramax truck and am a member of deiselplace.com and their classifieds is segregated like you're describing. In my personal opinion it isn't any easier to navigate than this site's classifieds. I've seen multiple times that something was posted in the wrong forum. We also don't have that much traffic in our classifieds. In general the first two pages hold a week or so worth of posts. It's not that hard to scrolls through that.

AK pretty well covered my view on the search button.

Bottom line is, if you're truly interested in something and the buyer hasn't posted pictures of the item, ask for some. We aren't an Obama run website where we are going to mandate that something be done when you should know to do it yourself. There is a whole laundry list of classified rules that have to be adhered to and are a good set of guidelines. Simply because something is old does not mean it is no longer useful. The LS is relatively unchanged since its inception in 1997 but is still at the forefront in power, reliability and gas mileage. I feel our classifieds are the same.

Changing the vbulletin software is a whole 'nother ball of wax. We(moderators/admins) do not have that kind of access to the vbulletin software to modify the classifieds. It was practically and act of congress to get IB to get us the trader rating system over here even after tech had, had it for a year or two. FYI we share the same database as them so its not a huge deal for them to get that done. Basically what I'm getting at is getting code changes in the forum is difficult since we the staff do not have access to that stuff.

I hope that answers your points as best I can.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:37 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
We aren't an Obama run website where we are going to mandate that something be done when you should know to do it yourself.