Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams
View Poll Results: What tuning Software do you use?
EFI Live
27.50%
HP Tuners
60.00%
LS1 Edit
2.50%
Other
10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

What software do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What software do you use?

I want to know who uses what. I just want to see what is most popular as well as know who I can ask questions to. I just ordered a laptop and EFI Live. Should all be here by Friday So what do you use and do you like it?
Old 04-04-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

EFILive for me, In my opinion, its better suited for forced induction. I really like it. After seeing what I could do with EFILive, Thunder550 sold his HPT and is buying my V1.2 cable, so I can buy a V2 cable when they come out. He has been tuning his Radix's truck with it and is really liking it . My little boosted 4.8 runs great with all my own tuning.

Just ask Thunder whos truck was faster last Friday night
Old 04-04-2006, 06:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
EFILive for me, In my opinion, its better suited for forced induction. I really like it. After seeing what I could do with EFILive, Thunder550 sold his HPT and is buying my V1.2 cable, so I can buy a V2 cable when they come out. He has been tuning his Radix's truck with it and is really liking it . My little boosted 4.8 runs great with all my own tuning.

Been wondering this for a while now. I met someone at a car show who has twin turbos on his old Chevelle with an LS1 in it. He uses EFILive too and told me I'd be better off with that over HP Tuners.
The choice between the two has we waiting for more information, its hard to go off of just a couple of opinions.
I was going to get HP and split some of the cost with a buddy on the second year choice, does EFILive come with more than a single year to tune like HP?
How does one compare over the other as far as easy to use?
What about EFILive is better than HP, especially for boosted engines like you said above.
Just trying to get some hard facts here if you have em.
Thanks guys.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:26 AM
Launching!

EFILive all the way. I asked the same question about a week ago. Who was better and why? EFIlive goes more in detail. ex. timing tables. I'm not 100% what all is better but I do remember hearing some things about customer service too. I've never dealt with them but thats what I hear.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:42 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never learned to use HPT in-depth, so my switch to EFI Live was partially for the more thorough-looking interface and partly because Kyle is here and could show me some of the things to get into. I am more comfortable with EFI Live in the 3 weeks I have playing with it than I ever was with HPT in the 5 months I had it. The 2-bar map with a custom OS was totally worth it. EFI Live seems to have a much better user interface, I like the layout (Windows Explorer style) much better than the one in HPT. It is also more explanative (if that's a word ), which helps a tuning noob like me out a lot.

When I initially bought HPT I had the standard interface cable, and I considered upgrading to the enhanced cable for $200 or whatever it was, but at that point I would have spent just as much on HPT as I would have on EFI Live, and from what I had seen Kyle doing, EFI Live seemed much more thorough.

Yeah yeah I was pulling double-duty as a Hibachi that night. That's my excuse and I'm stickin to it.

Last edited by thunder550; 04-04-2006 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Veteran

The only reason I could see getting HP at this point would be the help I would get from Allen Nelson since he is using HP. I wonder if he also has EFLive or uses HP exclusively. He did tune my pcms for me to this point and said he would help me get up and going if I did but HP, wonder if its still an option for me or is EFLive so good I don't need any help??
decisions, decisions......
Old 04-04-2006, 09:44 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by thunder550
the AutoVE tuning takes the guess-work out of tuning your VE tables.
Their manuals are step-by-step for loading a custom o/s and converting to SD from MAF. Gotta love that.
Hptuners has had "autove" since its inception over 2 years ago

Flash tutorials on how to convert to a 1 or 2 bar SD setup is slightly easier then the pdf file efilive allows you to read through
http://www.hptuners.com/help/demos/1...sd%20apply.swf

To anyone thats considering the two I would say find two locals so you can look it over for yourself...in my limited use of the efilive demo I've found hptuners to be much easier to navigate. Thats not to mention the hundreds of dollars of price difference if you want a 2 bar custom OS with hptuners coming out on top.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

In my opinion, its better suited for forced induction.
any reason why?
Old 04-04-2006, 09:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
I met someone at a car show who has twin turbos on his old Chevelle with an LS1 in it. He uses EFILive too and told me I'd be better off with that over HP Tuners.
did he mention any reason why?
Old 04-04-2006, 10:09 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
Hptuners has had "autove" since its inception over 2 years ago

Flash tutorials on how to convert to a 1 or 2 bar SD setup is slightly easier then the pdf file efilive allows you to read through
http://www.hptuners.com/help/demos/1...sd%20apply.swf

To anyone thats considering the two I would say find two locals so you can look it over for yourself...in my limited use of the efilive demo I've found hptuners to be much easier to navigate. Thats not to mention the hundreds of dollars of price difference if you want a 2 bar custom OS with hptuners coming out on top.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that. I don't want to be spreading information that isn't true....I will edit my above post.

Quick Reply: What software do you use?