Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

from the pros
LS1Howto.com

Frequently Asked Questions
1) Do I need O2 Simms?
Yes, or you will need to have the O2 sensors turned off via tuning. LGM headers do not have rear o2 sensor bungs, so even if you wanted to run rear sensors, you couldn't.

2) My car sounds like it has a louder ticking after the install?
This could be a few things. It could be an exhaust leak on an AIR tube flange or at a primary on the header gasket. BUT.....most likely, it is normal. Longtube headers typically use a much thinner (and higher quality) metal than stock, thus exhaust pulses and exhaust valve noises are transferred much more efficiently now, making for quite a racket.

3) My car runs really poorly after the header install
The first thing to check for is crossed o2 wires. It is very common for people to plug the passengers side O2 sensor into the drivers side, or vice versa, due to the way the o2 sensors are angled. Do not be confused, the drivers side sensor MUST plug into the drivers side harness.

If that is correct, get a scan tool and watch the o2 sensor values, or read the codes from the DIC and look them up (or have someone look them up for you). Sometimes codes will be thrown soon after install due to the oil inside the headers from machining getting onto the o2 sensors. A good spirited drive will burn this grease off and clean the O2's, then you can reset the codes and see if they come back.

4) Will this system make my car louder?
Yes. The LGM system will add a fair amount of volume to the exhaust note, but nothing extreme if you have a good quiet catback (like an OEM Z06 catback), and use the catalytic converters. The off-road setup may be unbearable for many with "straight through" mufflers instead of proper mufflers, but it really just all comes down to each individuals threshold and preference for how they want their car to sound. Before ever modifying your exhaust, see if you can find locals with various setups and listen to them first. Ride around in their car for a few minutes and see just how much noise you are willing to put up with.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A: like I said... And exhaust leak...
B: I would hardly call ls1howto the "pros" lol
Old 04-02-2015, 12:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

maybe theres only 1 pro out there
Old 04-02-2015, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll just leave this here...

http://dilbert.com/strip/2015-04-02

Old 04-02-2015, 08:17 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

every truck I've installed stiffer valve springs and longtubes on has more audible valvetrain noise. not noticable to someone who didn't hear the motor before and after. but it's there. I call it the LS sewing machine. hell, I can hear the injectors working with a hood up. did the springs/headers cause the noise? no. I just think opening the intake and exhaust on a motor gives more room for the valvetrain noise to escape the engine compartment. my s10 chatters its *** off.

here is a vid of my truck. tell me you cannot hear the valvetrain. nothing wrong with the truck. it just is what it is.
IMG_0300.mp4 Video by StewartSmith | Photobucket
Old 04-02-2015, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

on flat tappet, solid roller etc engines I have absolutely heard what you guys are talking about before, without a doubt. For some reason the video would only play about 3 seconds so I couldn't see/hear much, but is that an old school UPD intake on there? those things were the **** WAYYYYY back in the day.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:34 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

I held on to that UPD for as long as it could. they were brittle, but they were the best designed CAI for the NBS IMO. an actual cold air intake instead of a hot air sucker. I also had the Volant ram air plummed to the bottom of the stock air box.

the noise that they are describing is there. it's been there on every truck I've ever opened the intake and exhaust on. kind of a sewing machine noise that is amplified when the intake and exhaust is opened up.

I believe it only plays 3 seconds of vid. Photobucket sucks now days.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a black and a clear UPD, those things were the ****, the clear one you couldn't spray nitrous on though, they were a two piece tube and glued together (the black was solid if memory serves ) and the clear would basically explode the instant you hit the micro switch.

I need to get off my *** and develop something like that for the '14, I could sell the hell out of them!
Old 04-03-2015, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have headers.....no tickey here. just saying. Vids of my truck on youtube as well. Plug wires are stock btw.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The key to the UPD CAI was the elevated air box lid.

Quick Reply: Do you have headers on your 014 or 015?