Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Brand new Silverado and I already got problems!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new Silverado and I already got problems!

I went out to my garage this morning and just happened to look underneath my 2014 Silverado with only 500 miles and I noticed 3 drops (each about the size of a quarter) of some sort of red fluid that is very oily underneath the rear end of my new truck.

I didnt crawl underneath at first to see if I could find where its coming from but from where the oil spots are it seems its coming from the rear end. After my work had calmed down I crawled underneath and the inside of the rear axle on both the driver and passenger side is wet but not soaking wet from where the oil has come from the pumpkin (I think).

Is the fluid in the rear end red and has the consistency of of motor oil? Is this from the transmission some how or the rear end itself?

This really pisses me off considering this truck has only 500 miles on it and may be developing rear end issues.

I made an appointment for Monday with the dealer to get it looked at.

I just hope the rear axle doesnt have to come out because that would end up being a big mess.

Last edited by Muscle Car Memories; 10-24-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Sounds like the rear end leaking.

I'm not exactly sure what spots from your wording but they will have to take it all apart, maybe need a new axle.

I wouldnt even worry for 1 second, it's brand new, has a warranty. Drop the keys with them and pick it up when it's fixed.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It will be an easy dealio ,relax ,could be fill plug didnt get tight during PDI,tech checked level and put plug back finger tight.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

I am a service advisor at a GM dealer, if you don't mind me asking, what is the build date on your vehicle? Some of the early 2014's had a recall pertaining to a transmission fluid line connection issue at the transmission, if the line wasn't properly attached it could allow a leak and potentially cause a fire. You may want to slide up under the truck on the drivers side and inspect the cooler lines where they attach on the drivers side behind the bell housing just to make sure that is not the issue. If it is, the dealer will need to have it towed to them to correct issue.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:53 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Rear end fluid is green, transmissions is red.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Recall # 14121
Subject: 14121B – Transmission Oil Cooler Connection

Models: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Light Duty Regular Cab, Double Cab, Crew Cab 1500 Series
2015 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
2014 GMC Sierra Light Duty Regular Cab, Double Cab, Crew Cab 1500 Series
2015 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
Equipped with 6-Speed Automatic Transmission (MYC)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A copy of the customer letter has been added to the bulletin. Please discard all copies of bulletin 14121A.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by this notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is remedied.

All involved vehicles that are in dealer inventory must be held and not delivered to customers, dealer traded, or used for demonstration purposes until the repair contained in this bulletin has been performed on the vehicle.

Condition
General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in 2014 MY Chevrolet Silverado Light Duty Regular Cab, Double Cab, Crew Cab 1500 Series and 2015 MY Suburban and Tahoe; GMC 2014 MY Sierra Regular Cab, Double Cab, Crew Cab 1500 Series and 2015 MY Yukon and Yukon XL vehicles equipped with a 6-Speed Automatic Transmission (MYC). The subject vehicles may have a transmission oil cooler line that is not securely seated in the fitting. If the line is not securely seated and transmission oil leaks from the fitting, the oil could contact a hot surface and result in a vehicle fire.

Correction
Dealers are to inspect the connection and repair it, if necessary.

Vehicles Involved
All involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Investigate Vehicle History screen in GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information
Parts required to complete this recall are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales (GMCC&A). Please refer to your “involved vehicles listing” before ordering parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO = Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order.

Important: It is estimated that 10 or fewer involved vehicles will require replacement of the transmission oil cooler lines. Please order parts accordingly.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:15 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Its no big deal. Just run it by a dealer. Easy fix that will not affect your truck down the road.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:19 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

"It is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by this notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is remedied. "

Call a dealership with your vin and ask if the 14121 remedy has been performed. They can tell you within 10 seconds. If it hasnt been performed, your selling dealer messed up in a big way.

I wouldnt hold it over them too much, but if they know that you know they violated federal law, your customer service may go through the roof lol.

This is without knowing what date the stop sale started, and what date you purchased. All vehicles must be remedied before leaving the lot.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stroked 4.8L
I am a service advisor at a GM dealer, if you don't mind me asking, what is the build date on your vehicle? Some of the early 2014's had a recall pertaining to a transmission fluid line connection issue at the transmission, if the line wasn't properly attached it could allow a leak and potentially cause a fire. You may want to slide up under the truck on the drivers side and inspect the cooler lines where they attach on the drivers side behind the bell housing just to make sure that is not the issue. If it is, the dealer will need to have it towed to them to correct issue.
Good catch. I had that done to mine and forgotten about that issue.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

What was the outcome on your truck?