Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

After 35 years I can no longer support GM..

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will take a gm any day of the week! I have a 2001 gmc Sierra 5.3 with 307,000 same transmission, rear end,s tarter, wheel bearing. Put motor in at 300,000 only reason was I wanted something wit a little more pep! Only thing I have replaced is water pump, alternator, fuel pump and two water pumps had it since 50,000!
The following users liked this post:
Skiman (09-28-2021)
Old 01-02-2017, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodiak544
I will take a gm any day of the week! I have a 2001 gmc Sierra 5.3 with 307,000 same transmission, rear end,s tarter, wheel bearing. Put motor in at 300,000 only reason was I wanted something wit a little more pep! Only thing I have replaced is water pump, alternator, fuel pump and two water pumps had it since 50,000!
That's an 01... not a 2017... lol. Not the same thing remotely... I will take my 04 or 05 any day too haha.
Skiman (09-28-2021)
Old 01-02-2017, 11:55 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

my experience with gm has been great trucks, and **** passenger cars. especially the 99-07 classic trucks. to this day, i will take a 99-07 classic truck over any of the new stuff GM produces

earlier this week i was thinking it was hard to believe my 02 was now 15 years old! outside of normal wear items (brakes, batteries, tires, wipers, plugs, wires), i've only had to replace 2 window motors. original EVERYTHING other than that including the water pump, alternator, starter and fuel pump.

every GM passenger car i've owned or worked on required expensive repairs much earlier than i would expect they should. especially after owning a few jap products in that same timeframe (honda, toyota and nissan). toyota is my favorite now days as far as dependable long lasting passenger cars.

Last edited by TXsilverado; 01-03-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

same here. my 05 sierra had the cluster issue and the leaky water pump issue and a bad alternator.....all repaired by the local dealership under warranty on a drive in basis( no appointment) and no questions asked. I repaired the blower motor resistor and harness myself, other than that is was just the basics like above, fluids and tires and a battery. I will never buy a new car for myself.. i feel more comfortable with no payment and investing money in repairs as needed.
Skiman (09-28-2021)
Old 01-03-2017, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

And the 2015's buyer backed out before ever showing up.... I can't get rid of this truck lol. I might just trade it off already....
Old 01-03-2017, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that's a shame I don't know what I would get if I got something else.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I've never owned a car with less than 100k until this Avalanche I got with 83k...I figure the cars been well broken in by that point...
Old 01-06-2017, 11:56 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Bear
I guess I’ve had better luck than some when it comes to vehicles. I purchased my ’01 C3 late in its model run and only experienced one recall for the tailgate cables. I did have to have warranty work done back in ’03 for the truck going into REP and the dealer nor GM knew at the time how to fix it, so after multiple trips to different service departments, I decided to take the throttle body apart and found that the grease GM had used inside the throttle body had crusted up causing it to more or less freeze up. Once cleaned up and re-greased using good synthetic grease, it lasted about 10 more years before I finally had to replace it. The steering wheel button lights burned out and were replaced under warranty, and they replaced the factory body colored soft bed cover with a hard Snugtop, as the factory cover would keep stretching out and blowing off going down the highway, but as far as warranty items that has been it. Yes I did explode the G80, but that was my doing and a good Eaton LSD later, it has also been fine all these years.

Now for my ’12 model GMC Canyon, which everyone would consider a pretty cheap vehicle, it has never had to make a trip to the dealer for anything. I just did a L9H 6.2L swap in December and don’t plan on getting rid of it anytime soon, as it finally runs how I feel a GMT-355 with a V8 should run.

My wife has a ’12 model Chev. Malibu and it is a turd that has had 3 or 4 recalls so far. All the common items you see on the news, like ignition switches and so on.

Before that, she had a Cadillac Seville that both of us wish she still had, but the HVAC controller decided to take an early lunch and surprisingly, I couldn’t find a replacement anywhere, new or remanufactured. It’s a shame, as it was a nice car and would run circles around the little Malibu, but you can’t expect anyone to be happy driving in South Texas without working air.

Maybe I’ve just had better luck with trucks!
I bet that canyon is a fun little truck with a 6.2. How's the mileage and power?
Old 01-06-2017, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I bet that canyon is a fun little truck with a 6.2. How's the mileage and power?
The power increase going from the stock little VVT 5.3L to a small cam 6.2L is as can be expected, amazing. I haven't had in in there long enough to get a real accurate feel for what the mileage is going to be like, as I have been running it pretty hard between getting it tuned and playing with it, but what highway driving I've done, it doesn't seem like it has changed much at all. I would imagine in-town mileage to have dropped a measurable amount with the looser converter, but beings it is only flashing to 2500rpm, even that shouldn't be too bad.
Skiman (09-28-2021)
Old 01-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Bear
The power increase going from the stock little VVT 5.3L to a small cam 6.2L is as can be expected, amazing. I haven't had in in there long enough to get a real accurate feel for what the mileage is going to be like, as I have been running it pretty hard between getting it tuned and playing with it, but what highway driving I've done, it doesn't seem like it has changed much at all. I would imagine in-town mileage to have dropped a measurable amount with the looser converter, but beings it is only flashing to 2500rpm, even that shouldn't be too bad.
Nice. I'm in the process of swapping a stock 6.2 into the wife's suburban that decided to eat a DOD lifter. It'll be getting a baby cam very similar to the one you're running later on and a ZL1 converter in the hopes of it driving much better. The little 5.3s are severely lacking in the torque department.

I'm interested in hearing what kind of mileage it knocks down. A buddy of mine has a similar truck and wants to swap a 6.2 in it.

Quick Reply: After 35 years I can no longer support GM..